+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

So, back in September, I started getting tingles in my legs, and it got so painful, it felt like they were burning. It mostly occurred after I walked. It got to where I couldn't even walk for more than 10 minutes. I also had a bit of numbness in my arms. Putting my hair in a simple pony tail made my arms feel like I had worked out for an hour. It got to where I couldn't even draw (which, as an artistic type person, killed me). I went to the doc, he did a blood test, and it turned out, I have a "wonky thyroid". My thyroid is so messed up, and my metabolism is so low, it's practically non existant. So... yay! I am now on meds and i am starting to feel better.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

That's great that you'll be able to stay close to the hospital bug. Ronald McDonald house rocks. We were very fortunate to be so close to home with Zac. Wishing all of you the merriest Christmas ever!!!

Superbrat,
    Glad to hear you got diagnosed early. Hypothyroid is highly treatable, quite unlike hyperthyroid.

Bug,

I'm so glad you guys will be at the Ronald McDonald house. It's supposed to be a wonderful place.
    I so admire you and your family's bravery and fortitude throughout all that has happened. I continue to pray for Victor always.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

This is looking a little more like the good news thread tonight! Bug, I hope your employer has a big heart and won't make you worry about your job any longer. You have enough to think about, and you are right, it is great that Victor is here.

Scary stuff, SuperBrat. I am glad you got to the doctor and that you were able to be diagnosed so quickly. I hope you continue to get better.

My sister-in-law is about halfway through her Taxol treatments. She is enduring numbness in her feet and hands and has many other side effects that are tough, but she has her eyes on the ending date of this treatment and is mostly focused on spending time with her young kids and my brother. She is an inspiration to me with how she is handling this. She then has radiation after the Taxol is over. And she has completed another treatment previous to the Taxol. Thanks for support you have given her here.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;4121536;
    So, back in September, I started getting tingles in my legs, and it got so painful, it felt like they were burning. It mostly occurred after I walked. It got to where I couldn't even walk for more than 10 minutes. I also had a bit of numbness in my arms. Putting my hair in a simple pony tail made my arms feel like I had worked out for an hour. It got to where I couldn't even draw (which, as an artistic type person, killed me). I went to the doc, he did a blood test, and it turned out, I have a "wonky thyroid". My thyroid is so messed up, and my metabolism is so low, it's practically non existant. So... yay! I am now on meds and i am starting to feel better.
    SuperBrat, I'm so glad the meds are helping you. I've dealt with low thyroid most of my life so I really understand. I've learned to constantly monitor how I feel rather than what "general" blood test results will show. I now demand more involved and more specific blood tests,-- sometimes they take 7 vials of my blood. Only you know how you feel and just because a "generalized" test says you're within normal range, doesn't always give the whole picture. It's taken years but now I feel good all the time after many adjustments and changes in meds. What a difference it makes!! Good luck to you.

FORT Fogey

Superbrat -- I have thyroid problems also and have found out there are more sophisticated tests than just the plain old "TSH" test. If you don't get results with whatever meds you're on now, may I humbly suggest you seek out an endocrinologist. Thyroid is one of their specialties. On an aside note, my older son "chased" his supposed thyroid problem around for three years, going from one endocrinologist to the other and even to Johns Hopkins. He had some of the same symptoms you have; was put on several strengths of thyroid meds and "nothing" helped. Finally he was correctly dosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Just proves thart patients have to speak up and be persistent.

Buglover -- continuing prayers for you, Victor, and your family. I pray this treatment will help. Sending you love and .

Cootie -- continued prayers for your sister in law. Too $%^& cancer in this world!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4121534;
    We are all set up to stay at the Ronald McDonald House from the 13th to the 21st. We will be home in time for xmas and I'll be making the tamales!! My step daughters will be here and Victor's girlfriend so this will be the best xmas ever just because everyone will be here! I already told Victor that I don't want any presents.......him being here and alive is all the gift I will need.
    I'm sure it will be the best Christmas ever. Yum on the tamales.

Cootie and Superbrat, good to hear that things are getting better for everyone.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The Ronald McDonald House is an awesome charity. Many years ago, my son was badly burned and we spent 2 weeks at RMcD house. Without that place I don't think I would have been able to stay with him the whole time, and he needed his mom. I don't know what I would have done. Slept in the car I suppose.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4118194;
    Hey there....... we went back to the oncologist and my son's lungs have exploded with tumors. He has 10 new ones and we are going back in for an experimental chemo treatment on the 13th. He is frustrated and upset that he will probably be feeling sick for Christmas and New Year's but understands if we wait even one month, these with double if not triple. Cross your fingers and toes that this does something and that my company decides to keep me employed after all the time I've had to take off!!
    Buglover, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and especially Victor. God can perform miracles and I pray that He will in this case. You have a son to be proud of! You were my very first friend on FORT and I will always remember you and keep you in my prayers!
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

Buglover you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I had come on here to complain about something job-related, but reading about what you are facing, with such grace, makes me realize that I have nothing to post. I hope this new treatment works wonders, and that you have a wonderful holiday with your family.
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

+ Reply to Thread