+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I'm so sorry, MRD. That just sucks. It stinks that you're basically going to be punished for doing the right thing. Here's hoping the perfect job is just around the corner!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Boy, it seems as though your company has several reasons to keep you...too bad it would not be easy to do so without firing someone else....

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How awful. Sometimes, it seems like people just have rotten years...almost to the day. I had a rotten health year in 2000 and, again, last year. I am so sorry that you, once again, find yourself behind the 8-ball. It's got to turn around before long, mrd. Try to hang on.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Well to make matters worse, I am the one that caught the original mistake and started this whole chain reaction. Last week I was brilliant for catching it. This week, not so much.
    And the company is pleased with me and how I handled things. But it did inadvertantly put me out of a job.

Still, I did the right thing and if I am out of a job, I will get a good reference other than a "fired for illegal and unethical acts".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Maybe they will realize what a valuable asset you are and get rid of some dead weight to keep you around.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yeah....let's not "awful-ize" until we find out that there is a reason to do it.
    "Awful-ize" is a great Iyanla Vanzant word.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Good job on doing the right thing, mrd. Lots of people would have chosen the other option in a desperate attempt to save their jobs.

I've had a small run of bad luck this week. Took my car in because the brakes were making an awful noise, turns out I needed 4 new rotors and all new brakes. It was more than my monthly car payment. Get my car back today, drive to work, hit a curb while parking and give myself a flat tire. Tire has a puncture and will have to be replaced. Arrggg.
    Last edited by brunette trixie; 10-12-2010 at 07:36 PM.

FWIW, I was fired not long after I refused to agree to lie to the IRS when the local televangelist I worked for was preparing to be audited.

The official reason they gave for firing me was "downsizing" with no mention of ethics. Someone was hired, of course, to take my place. Ahem. But the IRS prevailed and they were reamed a couple years later.

There's hope, MRD. I never became rich. But I wouldn't have become rich with my former employer -- and could have gotten into serious trouble had I complied with them. And I did get better, less stressful jobs after that.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD, I can't believe this! It's been like one thing after another for you almost this entire year! Let us know what's going on and just leaving a supportive space here for you to feel and express whatever you need to:

"Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4082683;

I've had a small run of bad luck this week. Took my car in because the brakes were making an awful noise, turns out I needed 4 new rotors and all new brakes. It was more than my monthly car payment. Get my car back today, drive to work, hit a curb while parking and give myself a flat tire. Tire has a puncture and will have to be replaced. Arrggg.
    Car troubles are no joke BT and the repairs can wipe out your budget.
    I hope you're back on the road soon.

+ Reply to Thread