+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1555Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

After learning a hard lesson, my fb is tightly controlled and I do not add most people that request me. They only want friends to farm with and I don't farm or fish or anything else. I don't hesitate to delete people either (as some of you FORTERS who are fb friends know . I like to say I am the god of my fb world: I can bring you into it and I can take you out. But fb has reconnected me with some friends I lost touch with and we have had a ball getting back together. So I think it can be good if you use common sense, set your own rules and boundaries (and enforce them) and make sure you stay on top of your privacy settings.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4078775;
    I just read an article on CNN.com today that FB is going to introduce a new feature where you can put your friends into various groups and then post certain things so only certain groups can see them. It might help some of the issues I know some of my friends have about not wanting to post things to their wall because of a few people on their friends list.

Here's a link to the article: Facebook to let users create personal groups - CNN.com

ETA: I was NEVER FB friends with anyone I worked with at my last full time job. I need to keep that separation and I really don't need to be that familiar with co-workers. Like someone upthread said, familiarity breeds contempt.
    I know someone that does this already She keeps her internet friends separate from family etc.

Yes I do. And obviously this is a biggie to me. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Let's not even open up the issue of cams (or shall we?).

I would have to go research it, but the Constitution and amendments need to be revised, in light of the current technology. And needless to say (I hope), laws and enforcement of said.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I'm not sure what constitutional rights you mean but it's a slippery slope issue. Do you really want practices such as tiered internet access, where your internet provider would be able to charge you more money if you wanted high speed access or premium sites - like cable? Don't engage in Facebook with any expectation of privacy. It's a site that was founded on internet transparency as their cornerstone philosophy and they're just plain not on board with internet anonymity.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Meanwhile, what's-his-name is a billionaire. Oh well.

Do you really want practices such as tiered internet access, where your internet provider would be able to charge you more money if you wanted high speed access
    No but it is already a reality. Luckily you have not run into that yet, I guess.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

No, the tiered access I'm talking about is illegal...so far. It's where Comcast or Verizon can slow down your connection on purpose because you haven't paid premium fees. Right now, the infrastructure out there is for everyone. With two-tiered access, XYZ corporation can pay a fee and have all your search results come up with XYZ instead of access to everything on the internet.

Why am I not surprised.

But thank you muchly for the info about which I am not exactly doing jumping jacks.

Yeah, sorry to clog up the troubles thread. I know it can't compare to the serious problems people have posted about in here, but it troubles me.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4079197;
    Yeah, sorry to clog up the troubles thread. I know it can't compare to the serious problems people have posted about in here, but it troubles me.
    Ditto.

Even though I may not post about others' serious life troubles, I do have them on my mind and in my prayers. I assume that I am not alone in this.

That is one of the cool things about this mode of communication...

MRD

The business I am in has certain laws that if violated can result in fines and even jail time. The company that I work for has certain ethics that when violated can result in being fired.

I was asked to do something by our associated company that was unethical and illegal and I refused and kicked it up the chain of command. To make a long story short, we no longer do business with this company. As I was hired to manage the business we get from this company, if we are not doing business with them, I don't have anything to do. There have already been hours cut and staff cut in my company because things are slow. There is no other place to put me right now. I haven't gotten official word yet, but I expect it any day.

I do have the satisfaction of doing the right thing. And if I had done what they asked, I'd have lost my job anyway. So I did the right thing and my reputation is intact and I will avoid fines and jail time.

This year has sucked big time. I thought things were finally turning around for me. Oh well. I guess they will eventually, just not right now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread