+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4078345;
    Isn't it weird how some people are about friending and facebook?
    I purposely do not "friend" any of my in-laws; in fact, I blocked them quite soon after I set up my account. That way, they don't even know I'm on.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4078628;
    I purposely do not "friend" any of my in-laws; in fact, I blocked them quite soon after I set up my account. That way, they don't even know I'm on.
    That really isn't a problem for me since most of my in-laws have dis-owned us already.

Except for my sister in law. She hates me, has spread horrible, untrue rumors about me, and generally tried to cause as much trouble for me as possible. She never tried to friend me, but she tried in vain (over and over) to friend each of my kids. My youngest son finally sent her a message telling her that since she won't speak to him when she meets him on the street, why would she want to be his friend on facebook? She's left them alone since then.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

My in laws friended me, so I couldn't refuse. I just edit my privacy settings so they don't see much.

FORT Fogey

I recently closed my Facebook account, because of the volume of friend requests from people I don't know very well, and did not consider friends. I would rather communicate via e-mail, phone, etc. with people of my choice.

I sometimes wish Facebook had never been invented; I've heard too many unpleasant stories.

I was thinking about what mrd said about FB. I'd had an account unused for quite a while (long story). So lately I've been wanting to use it for professional purposes, and also for networking with friends and making friends.

It sounds like I need 3 accounts, LOL. Professional, friends more open, and very close friends who I would share more private things with. (bad grammar, I know) But to restrict certain people, you have to enter each name.

I sent a lengthy respectful complaint to FB (man, is their Help Center helpless or what?) on security issues, and asked them to open up a conversation with me in Messages. Haven't heard back yet. The issue was that I am on a business email list. I'm not happy with the Search feature by email address, so I changed it to that same email address, and in 1 second, a Friend request came up from that business. I guess businesses can submit a list of email addresses to pounce on if they're ever attached to a FB account. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

So now I'll just set up an email address for FB only and never use it for anything else. We should be able to restrict our email addresses (and our names and user names) from ever being able to be searched inside and outside of FB. But the opposite is true...
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I just read an article on CNN.com today that FB is going to introduce a new feature where you can put your friends into various groups and then post certain things so only certain groups can see them. It might help some of the issues I know some of my friends have about not wanting to post things to their wall because of a few people on their friends list.

Here's a link to the article: Facebook to let users create personal groups - CNN.com

ETA: I was NEVER FB friends with anyone I worked with at my last full time job. I need to keep that separation and I really don't need to be that familiar with co-workers. Like someone upthread said, familiarity breeds contempt.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Facebook doesn't allow you to have multiple accounts. I mean, I know people do it all the time but if they catch you they will delete all of your accounts. A lot of people create multiples for Farmville and other games. Help Center | Facebook
    Maintaining multiple accounts, regardless of the purpose, is a violation of Facebook’s Terms of Use. If you already have a personal account, then we cannot allow you to create business accounts for any reason.
    My take on Facebook is that everyone uses it a different way. There's nothing wrong with telling someone in real life that you keep your friends list limited. Facebook is built on creating connections and as long as you approach it as a given that your privacy is in no way assured, go for it.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4078775;
    I just read an article on CNN.com today that FB is going to introduce a new feature where you can put your friends into various groups and then post certain things so only certain groups can see them. It might help some of the issues I know some of my friends have about not wanting to post things to their wall because of a few people on their friends list.

Here's a link to the article: Facebook to let users create personal groups - CNN.com
    You must have read my mind. (scary, I know) But I almost mentioned in my post that they need a group feature. (Hire me, FB, hire me!)

Thanks for the link.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4078778;
    Facebook doesn't allow you to have multiple accounts. I mean, I know people do it all the time but if they catch you they will delete all of your accounts. A lot of people create multiples for Farmville and other games. Help Center | Facebook

My take on Facebook is that everyone uses it a different way. There's nothing wrong with telling someone in real life that you keep your friends list limited. Facebook is built on creating connections and as long as you approach it as a given that your privacy is in no way assured, go for it.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

And yeah, I hear what you're say on the bolded part, but there should be privacy on the Internet. The shift from real to web is still too new to expect that (plus all the national security stuff and the gov/law enforcement maybe taking liberties), and like a friend told me "there is no privacy in public". Someone else told me "don't put anything in an email that you wouldn't want to see printed on the front page of a newspaper". Ack!

What really scares me is that anyone can have a web site (with a forum, blog, shopping cart, whatever), and never have any concerns about personal privacy...may know zero about technological anything...may be using computer tools that they found quickly on Google (which may have a virus or worse). These people may be netiquette-challenged if not almost computer-illiterate ...may have ulterior motives about what they do with the "data"...oy vay!
    Last edited by VelvetRed; 10-07-2010 at 12:09 AM.

FORT Fogey

Come on, VR, there is no privacy left in any aspect of life. Why should FB or the internet be different? Do you detect my cynicism?????

+ Reply to Thread