+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree962Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

FORT Fogey

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4074989;
    I know it's human nature, but it bugs me no less. I'm 48 years old. I left high school a long time ago. This is HS crap she's pulling. We are busy enough that dealing with her crap puts us behind. Oh well, 3 more weeks and I will be out of that office and managing my own.

I went back to work in my 40s after the kids were in school. I put up with that high school crap for 21 years during my stints in various offices. I finally quit full time when the last one was on his own. I was over 60 when the "cr--" ended. So hang in there for another three weeks!! And good luck to you; you deserve it.

Oh, wow . . .office politics and wing-flapping hens with 8th grade mindsets . . .donít even get me started. The backbiting, nosey busybodies, cliques, checking out who is wearing what, who goes to lunch with who, etc. etc.

I canít believe I worked with all that nonsense for decades. My last few years of working (full time), I was happier because I kept to myself and didnít get close to anyone ay work. My lunch hr was MY time (errands, phone calls, reading, just enjoying some quiet time). Even that was resented, but I didnít care. People (particularly women) often make the mistake of getting too close with co-workers (telling their business, socializing, getting too personally involved). Being friendly is one thing, but developing close friendships with co-workers and supervisors/subordinates is usually a mistake that will come back and bite you.

I agree. People dont seem to realize there is a defitnite line to be drawn between work relationships, and friends. Feelings get hurt and boundaries are pushed aside that need to be there!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I worked at the same place for 28 years. A lot of the people socialized together on a regular basis; I didn't, and they usually enjoyed reminding me that I didn't. Sounds like I did the right thing. The mornings after the get-togethers was when they were bad-mouthing their fellow partiers. I managed not to be a part of the bad-mouthers or the bad-mothed. I came away from that place with one dear, trusted friend that I have until this very day.

Must be true what they say, familiarity breeds contempt.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4075118;
    I worked at the same place for 28 years. A lot of the people socialized together on a regular basis; I didn't, and they usually enjoyed reminding me that I didn't. Sounds like I did the right thing. The mornings after the get-togethers was when they were bad-mouthing their fellow partiers. I managed not to be a part of the bad-mouthers or the bad-mothed. I came away from that place with one dear, trusted friend that I have until this very day.

Must be true what they say, familiarity breeds contempt.
    I'm still good friends with one woman I worked with 30 yrs ago in an office. Actually we became friends after I left and went to another job. She and also your example are exceptions.

When I worked in a nursing home I was very quiet and did my job but didn't socialize with the other workers about my personal life.

After I quit, I ran into a few of the women and they commented how nice I was and how they all thought I was a big beotch when at work. I am still good friends with 2 of them for 25 years now.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shyra;4076167;
    When I worked in a nursing home I was very quiet and did my job but didn't socialize with the other workers about my personal life.

After I quit, I ran into a few of the women and they commented how nice I was and how they all thought I was a big beotch when at work. I am still good friends with 2 of them for 25 years now.

All of which proves you're da**ed if you do and da**ed if you don't. The world of work breeds strange bedfellows......

Long, long ago, my brilliant mother warned me about the pitfalls of "oversharing" and "oversharers"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

There will be no socializing with these people.

The hits keep on coming. The company cut hours yesterday. Down to 32 hour workweek for most. I got it and so did 4 others. The woman stirring the pot didn't. Naturaly. I am definitely going to have to get a second job now. Feel for my other coworker. She has two kids, Christmas is coming and she has some other hardships. And we can no longer use the Internet for personal use even on lunch hour. We all received print outs of every site we visited. They are monitoring our computers. Ok no biggie, but when I clock out for lunch, that's my time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

If they've said that you are not to use the internet, even on lunch hour, you'd still better be hesitant to use their computers for it even if you have clocked out for lunch. For some reason, there is something lurking in the recesses of my mind about employers being able to penalize you at a time like that, even if you have clocked out. Unless you've been told, specifically, that you can, tread carefullly....up to and including asking permission each and every time that you want to do it. There is just something that nags at me about this situation. No need to stir up trouble, in this crappy economy, where it is not necessary. They may just be looking for a reason to make an example of someone.

+ Reply to Thread