+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1659Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I am so SICK of people calling me and spending several minutes telling me how busy they have been and why they haven’t called/returned my call and all the minutia of everything going on. HEY! Ya got me NOW so enough of all that and let’s just talk, and yeah yeah yeah, I know, you’re busy I’m busy everyone is busy busy busy. I get it. Spare me.

FORT Fogey

Good rant, tango7!! I totally agree.

What also gets me is those who dominate the entire conversation with their story and don't let you have equal time, as if only their life is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4067394;
    Good rant, tango7!! I totally agree.

What also gets me is those who dominate the entire conversation with their story and don't let you have equal time, as if only their life is important.

Yeah, then when you try to interject something they give you a quick "um hm" then continue with their stories.

The reason for my rant is one particular friend (not a real close friend, but still someone I consider a friend). Her life is full of drama and she’s often frazzled/stressed and talks about how hectic everything is. She likes animals and I’ve been inviting her over to met my new cat and see some of the renovations at my place. I’ve called and emailed periodically. When I actually reach her she gives me that long sigh and “everything is so hectic” excuse. We live less than 5 miles apart. Instead of actually trying to arrange a visit she goes on about her dog and the drama in her kids lives and how busy things are at her job. So the other day I called her and attempted to pick a day or evening to get together. She said “oh, I can’t talk right now, but we’ll talk soon”. Haven’t heard from her since. So I’m letting it go – I’m not gonna chase her down and beg. Hey, if she doesn’t want to get together, fine. But she’s taking a vacation in a couple weeks (high school reunion) and maybe I’ll be too busy to hear about it. I don't want to play games, but enough it ENOUGH.

FORT Fogey

Tango7 -- I totally know where you're coming from. Friends like that one does not need. Just my humble opinion.

My rant of the day is my neighbor, who stops me everytime I'm mowing to tell me about her love life or lack of... Our houses are pretty far apart and she has to make an effort... She walks across the pasture and then stands at the fence and waves me down...We have a phone... it takes me 3-4 hrs. to mow without interuptions. We are not talking about a 15 min. talk, sometimes it is an hour...with me saying well, I really need to get back to mowing....wait... let me tell you one more thing...errr! She is in her mid 60's and still acts like a teenager...Some of the stuff she tells me, I don't want or need to hear... shudder... Oh well, thanks I feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4067696;
    My rant of the day is my neighbor, who stops me everytime I'm mowing to tell me about her love life or lack of... Our houses are pretty far apart and she has to make an effort... She walks across the pasture and then stands at the fence and waves me down...We have a phone... it takes me 3-4 hrs. to mow without interuptions. We are not talking about a 15 min. talk, sometimes it is an hour...with me saying well, I really need to get back to mowing....wait... let me tell you one more thing...errr! She is in her mid 60's and still acts like a teenager...Some of the stuff she tells me, I don't want or need to hear... shudder... Oh well, thanks I feel better.
    OMG . . . .TMI!!! Ick.

Good grief. I realize it wouldn’t be easy, but since she can’t take a polite hint and respect that you are trying to get a chore completed, have you ever tried …”I gotta get this done, have a good day” then WALK AWAY and continue mowing? (even though she continues to talk). Sometimes with people like this you HAVE to be really firm and blunt.

Years ago I had a neighbor who – as soon as she and her SO moved in – wanted to be best friends. I’m not like that with neighbors. I’m polite, might chat a minute at the dumpster, and of course if there were an emergency I would help or make a call. This woman was way too chatty in the carport, very inquisitive about my life, etc., it drove me nuts for awhile. Then I decided I was not going to let her bug me so I actually walked away from her several times. I don’t have time for a half hr gossip fest as I’m unloading groceries. Well, one evening she knocked on my door and said “I just wanted you to know X and I had a fight, I got a restraining order, so if you see him around let me know and call the mgmt office.”

WHAT??!! I frowned and said to her “This has nothing to do with me. I don’t want involved and I can't listen to anymore. You will have to excuse me.” Then I shut the door and didn’t even give her a chance to reply. She moved a month or so later, thank goodness.

Some people are determined to force you to be their buddy/friend until you almost have to tell them to get out of your life.
    Last edited by tango7; 09-23-2010 at 05:33 PM.

I'll try that.
    I hate to ignore her, guilt, incase she really needed something and I wouldn't mind a quick chat...
    I hate to admit this... but I have just smiled and waved and zoomed on past...

Another idea: a relative wears those ear muff type noise protector thngs when he mows his lawn.

btw, 3/4 hrs, you must have a good sized yard. Great exercise!

I do a lot of walking and sometimes wear a pedometer. I do 2.5 - 3 miles in an hr. Might not sould like much to some, but I'm not trying out for a marathon.
    Last edited by tango7; 09-23-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Have had both eye surgeries now.
    So glad to be done with them.
    The second didn't go as well as the first. My eye is really bothersome in the mornings still and where they injected the anesthetic - right under the eye - left a big shiner that still hasn't abated. I look like I went 10 rounds in the ring.
    But, at least, no longer the danger of going blind. Wonderful. I can deal with that.

My sister's best friend who was diagnosed with the Stage 3 lung cancer is going to go for surgery week after next. They're thinking, based on all the tests, that it hasn't metastized past the lungs, but won't know for certain 'til they go in. She's having a surgery called VATS and the thoracic surgeon is supposed to be quite renowned in the field. Because of the myasthenia gravis, she had thoracic surgery done before and they removed her thymus, so she's already aware of the pain she'll probably be in with the surgery.
    Please continue to pray for her. Thanks, all.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 09-24-2010 at 09:09 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

So glad your eye surgeries went well. Praying that your friend fully recovers her health.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread