+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1680Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

MRD, when I moved a few years ago I was having so much trouble finding an affordable place in a nice neighborhood. I was feeling really discouraged until a friend suggested a property management company where a friend of hers worked. They handle smaller properties and don't really advertise on those apartment/housing search sites. They had lots of affordable houses and apartments that I never would have known about. Maybe there are some smaller property management companies in your area that you could try. I moved here from a large, gated community and initially looked for the same thing, but I love my little house and would never go back. Because it's a smaller company, it's much more personal too.

I've had more than one friend who's rented a gate house/mother-in-law house on a property and it worked out very well and was much cheaper.

Hang in there. You'll find something that will work for your budget and makes you happy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Have you tried Craig's List and the newspaper classifieds?
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

mrd, I hope we aren't overwhelming you with suggestions and adding to the stress. It is just we are worried about you, especially with the whiplash of thinking you found something great and then "losing" it....worse than if you never'd thought you'd found something as now it will be some kind of gold standard that will make it harder to settle for something "lesser". I'm sure all this housing stress is not good for your physical state either.
    Maybe you should just let housing go for a couple of weeks, as it were, focus on the hated job to be sure you get made permanent, and then turn to the housing situation. Well, there you go, another suggestion! We just can't help ourselves. But when you are up for it I think there were some good ideas in there, not all of which you might have tried yet.

Had my first eye surgery yesterday.
    Thanks again to my FORT friends out there who sent me best wishes.
    Eye is still uncomfortable, but based on the checkup this morning, Dr. says it looks good so far.
    When at the hospital yesterday, there was another woman there also having surgery who had not brought "someone" to take her home. And the hospital is very specific on the need to do that. She said they should call a cab for her. The Dr. then came to talk to her and tell her how important it was to have a "driver." The woman still had no one to call, so I told the nurses that my sister and I would take her home after the surgery. We ended up hanging out in the area fr about an hour before the lady was due to be picked up. The nurses came over and said how kind that was that we did that. I just frelt so bad for that woman not having anyone who could bring her home that I didn't think twice about it.
    I go for my other eye surgery in 3 weeks.
    The good news is that I will no longer have to worry about going blind due to the narrow openings, as soon as I have my other eye done. Thank G*d!!

In the meantime, we go back to the hospital today. My sister's best friend has had myasthenia gravis for several years. It's a debilitating disease.
    She's had lots of problems with her breathing for a while now and they ran a chest ray which was all OK. Then they did a cat scan last week and it showed something. Today she goes in for a biopsy of her lung.
    Please keep her in your prayers. Thank you
    Last edited by norealityhere; 08-31-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Will do. Glad things look good for your recovery. That was a kindness you did for the other woman.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Norealityhere: Haven't posted much with you, but I read about the wonderful good deed you did after your eye surgery. The world needs more people like you.

Namaste.

I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well. How nice of you and your sister to help out the other woman. Columbia, MD is right... the world does need more people like you.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4052716;
    Norealityhere: Haven't posted much with you, but I read about the wonderful good deed you did after your eye surgery. The world needs more people like you.

Namaste.
    Oh, thank you so much for your kind words. They really mean a lot.
    And the Namaste really means a lot, especially since I won't be able to do my yoga for quite a while.

THanks so much, Gut and Lil Bit.
    Means a lot to me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4053040;
    Oh, thank you so much for your kind words. They really mean a lot.
    And the Namaste really means a lot, especially since I won't be able to do my yoga for quite a while.

I was off yoga for a year and a half due to hand problems and surgeries.
    Can you do chair yoga after a while? I have some friends with hip and leg problems who enjoy that. I wish you the best.

+ Reply to Thread