+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1656Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

Not getting the house now. Things have gone backwards instead of forwards. When I run the numbers, I can't afford the house and there is nothing I can cut out that will help. Called the elec. company to get an avg. bill. With the rent and barebones expenses I will go in the hole $800 each month.
    My biggest expense besides rent will be insurance and copays. To get my health taken care of which I have ignored, I am looking at $170 in copays for dr. visits each month and $180 in medications. The insurance is $200 a month. So if I don't take the insurance and don't go to the dr. I can save $500 a month, which still puts me in the hole $300 each month. And I need to think about if my car needs repairs. I've been down here a month and it's already been in teh shop twice.

I am unable to volunteer as my stress level now is out of the roof and adding another commitment to my plate would send me into orbit and not help me. I'm so stressed that if I drop the soap in the shower, I fall apart. So while volunteering and giving my talks has been helpful to me in the past. I'm not at a place where I think I could do that now. Just the commitment of showing up to work everyday is almost too much.

I'm not trying to be negative or down or shoot down all your ideas. I'm being realistic. I have run the numbers all kinds of ways and it can't work. And my stress is really ,really bad right now. My fibromyalgia has become almost unbearable again and so has the IC which is contributing to my stress as it's making it really hard for me to concentrate at work and learn the job.

I still have 2 weeks to go before my trial period is up, so I don't know if they will keep me or let me go. So I am going to have to give up on the house for now as I don't think I should put down a $500 non refundable deposit until I know for sure I will keep my job and I also don't think I can afford the house.
    I've been looking at other places and $700 is about the lowest range for house rentals. The only apartments in my town are section 8 and you have to income qualify to live there and I make too much.

So I feel like I am back at square one. Just when I get all positive, something happens to shoot me down. And the situation basically is this:

I can pay rent and go without insurance and medical treatment as I've been doing. Or I can not pay rent and get insurance and take care of my health problems.

It is a SUCKY situation and why we need a system like Canada does for health. Because in this country, you can either have a roof over your head and no insurance or medical care or you can have insurance, but live on the street.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, I'm not trying to be a wise ass but what about apartments a town over or so? Surely there are apartments that are not section 8 within a half hour drive of your job. Remember, if you do get an apartment instead of a big house the power bill will be smaller too. Or look for a smaller house or mobile home. Don't give up.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Any possibility of getting a roommate to share expenses MRD?
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;4051845;
    Any possibility of getting a roommate to share expenses MRD?
    A roommate is what I was thinking too.

MRD, I'm sorry, but I looked pretty far back in the thread and I'm not clear what your (hated) job is and/or exactly what type of work you are interested in. You did however mention a "relationship" with a realty company. My first thought was to wonder if you could work as a part-time manager of an apartment complex or administratively for a homeowners' association and get a free apartment and some amenities? This is also possible in Mobile Home Parks where the Manager gets a free or heavily discounted unit.

Again ... I'm not as much of a regular here since my home burned down. But I do want to say again that there are more folks pulling (and praying) for you than you may know.

It IS going to work out and your attitude and perseverance is going to make it happen. You WILL look back at this and be very proud of yourself ... and happy.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Not to be cynical, but roommates tend to bring more stress than they relieve....especially when you're already on shaky ground. But then again....who knows.....?

My experiences have not been that good, and those people have been relatives.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Throwing out ideas... what about working as a companion for an elderly/disabled person? A house-mother for a sorority/dorm? Sorry to hear about the set-backs.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4050105;
    Rattus,

Good luck on the cyst. Thank heaven you at least know what the problem is and that you're in Canada and have great health insurance.

I go in Monday for my first eye surgery - the other eye will be done 3 weeks later.
    I'm still scared about it - and I am always a good patient about things - however, the fact that the Dr's told me I needed this because I could go blind without it, just scares the heck out of me.
    That, and having to come up with $3,000 out of pocket for this surgery -this is the portion that my wonderful health insurance does NOT pay for. And for this magnificent health insurance I have, it only costs me $1,000 per month.
    Hope your surgery was a success.
    Rattus and coltsnlasma Good luck to the both of you.

A lot of couples rent out rooms these days to help ends meet. Many of them want a stable, older person to live there instead of a flaky youngster. Sorry if I offended anyone - not trying to! I know some friend's of mine that have always rented out one of their rooms. It's ideal for a person who just wants/needs a place to sleep. Usually they stay a year of so and my friends get help with their mortgage. Also, just throwing an idea out, if it wouldn't work for you, I understand!

here is a link to an example. Newer home 3 bedroom 2 bathrooms with a pool
    if I am not supposed to do that, please excuse me in advance!
    Last edited by PGM35; 08-30-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: to add link.

FORT Fogey

This would only be a temporary, stop-gap solution, but is there any chance someone in your area might be looking for a long-term house sitter? For instance, if there's a university or college nearby, there may be a professor going on leave abroad who needs someone to take care of their home while they're gone. I would think people would prefer a stable, adult person with a good history of taking care of property as opposed to a twenty-something who might be less reliable (and no offense to the many responsible twenty-somethings out there; I know quite a few myself). It might only solve your problem for a year, but at least then you'd have some time to concentrate on taking care of some of the rest of your problems without worrying about housing.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4051900;
    Not to be cynical, but roommates tend to bring more stress than they relieve....especially when you're already on shaky ground. But then again....who knows.....?

My experiences have not been that good, and those people have been relatives.
    Those are my thoughts also; I'd rather live in a dump (and have done) than have roommates ever again, relatives or no.
    MRD, something will turn up, I am sure. Someone mentioned a room in a house--you might also look for people with basements (not as common there, I know) or garage apartments; many times those offer privacy but are cheaper than regular apartments.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread