+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3947567;
    What was really weird is that I was underground (the PATH mall under the office towers in downtown Toronto), and I felt nothing. I came upstairs and found a group of freaked out people waiting in the lobby who had fled from the upper floors - apparently it really shakes the higher you get. When I first heard "the building shook", I had a moment of consternation because of the guy they arrested this morning who was building a bomb that was related to the G20 Summit, and as we are in the financial gulag we would be a likely target for such lunatics. But, there are about 500 cops wandering about outside my building, so I feel a little safer. Though they can't do a damn thing about those earthquakes .
    Being from CA, I can attest to that first hand.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

One of the scariest times in my life was in a high rise hotel in Naples Italy. We were on the 19th floor and there was a horrible storm. Thunder, lightening, wind. Anyway, that building was SWAYING. You could really feel it. We had this huge chandelier in our hotel room and that thing was swinging like crazy. I was scared to death. And I thought that chandelier was going to crash on top of us. I remember my dad saying that the higher up you are the more the building will move.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah, I still recall a no doubt small earthquake near Boston... was reading in a chair in my apt. when the floor lamp began to sway. I thought a boiler had exploded or something. I was up on about the 4th floor. People closer to the ground felt nothing. All the years off and on I've lived in CA, nothing, but Boston... go figure.

Apparently even in NYC people were feeling tremors... I think I'm glad I didn't, because I live pretty high, but I will attest to the fact that big storms can be scary. My windows are pretty big, too, so I really get the full effect of a driving rainstorm, high winds, you name it. And it's pretty and yet unsettling to watch bolts of lightning, especially when the thunder is so loud.

It's all over the news here about the tremors being felt locally. Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3948303;
    It's all over the news here about the tremors being felt locally. Too funny.
    We've been in a 8.2 quake, and that was scary. It just went on and on. The news was reporting that no one was hurt, and my kid says "Yeah, only when they banged into the coffee table running away." Also, I turned on the news, and no word of a lie, the reporter was really excited and ran over to a bunch of people from an English as a Second Language School who had evacuated a building and tried to interview them. I'm sorry but it was like a John Cleese skit, and I almost fell off the couch laughing.

I'm in downtown Montreal and felt the tremors from my 14th floor office. It was quite a funny feeling, but nothing to be alarmed of. Some buildings were evacuated, yet I agree with Canuck, it was not that big of a deal.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3948353;
    We've been in a 8.2 quake, and that was scary. It just went on and on. The news was reporting that no one was hurt, and my kid says "Yeah, only when they banged into the coffee table running away." Also, I turned on the news, and no word of a lie, the reporter was really excited and ran over to a bunch of people from an English as a Second Language School who had evacuated a building and tried to interview them. I'm sorry but it was like a John Cleese skit, and I almost fell off the couch laughing.
    I can just visualize it!

Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    ...the reporter was really excited and ran over to a bunch of people from an English as a Second Language School who had evacuated a building and tried to interview them. I'm sorry but it was like a John Cleese skit, and I almost fell off the couch laughing...
    As an EFL teacher/language coach, I can only imagine how funny this is! Any chance that there's a clip of this on YouTube?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'm sadden by the destruction the "thugs" caused today in Toronto during the G8/G20. I know there were alot of very peacefull protests, but its the idots that go wild smashing windows and burning police cars. What is the purpose of that???

Toronto Mayor David Miller said a small group of "thugs" are to blame for the violence

CBC News - Canada - G20 protest brings violence, arrests

ETA this is way to scary. Police in riot gear, marching towards the crowds to push them back. What the heck are these people doing on the streets!!! Is this really Toronto?? Unbelievable
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 06-26-2010 at 07:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread