+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2015Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Thank you Columbia, MD. ...and by the way, I LOVE your avatar.
    Count your blessings!

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Unk is right. Cancer sucks.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3863782;
    A good friend and fellow teacher told me today she's been diagnosed with colon cancer. I knew she was having testing done. They have to do more tests to see if it has spread, but she's going to have to do the whole chemo/radiation treatment starting soon. She asked if she could have my colorful wigs (of course), and wanted coaching on how to tell her son. She's a single mom, but he's in his 20's - recently married. She doesn't have a lot of friends, so I'll be doing a lot of the hand-holding. She watched her mom die from the same thing, so she's terrified. I'm just sick about this. She feels that it's terminal, but I'm trying to get her to hold off on those thoughts until she's had more tests.
    I'll be thinking of her, and you. I had a good friend go through this...and she was one of the lucky ones, came out the other side, so it does happen even when it looks bad at the start. She didn't even wind up with a colostomy. Hoping your friend has the same luck... and that she's got her son getting check ups starting now and not waiting for symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3863836;
    I'd rather not be too graphic, but she had some bleeding issues and had it checked out. Of course it brings up my own cancer memories which I try to push away. I do have some resources, books, etc. I can share. And I know that just being there is the biggest thing.
    Understood.

I didn't know you had had cancer , too.
    I think your being there for her is just a godsend.
    Many people out there don't like to deal with illness and / or are afraid of it.
    The fact that you've been there and are able to provide a supportive shoulder for her is terrific.
    My thoughts are with you both and, Gut, please make sure to really pamper yourself, too, at this time. Sometimes, when we nuture and support others, we neglect ourselves.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Thank you for that. Yes, I had breast cancer 5 years ago and my FORT friends saw me through it in spades. I'll never forget my friends here for the support I was given during that very difficult time.
    Count your blessings!

Gut-I was always taken aback w/your grace when you were going through your ordeal. My officemate who died last year "knew" she was going to die. (Could that have speeded up the process?) It was a hard thing going to visit her, but I also knew she would have come to visit me. I think just being there helps more than anything. She appreciated the books, the posters that people signed when they came into the office. Cancer certainly sucks- Unk, I was bounced off your friend's site on caringbridge-I'm still hoping for a miracle for her and everyone who has cancer. My sister's remission is over. She's still feeling ok but her breast cancer spread to her spine. The chemo is different I guess because of the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3864270;
    Thank you for that. Yes, I had breast cancer 5 years ago and my FORT friends saw me through it in spades. I'll never forget my friends here for the support I was given during that very difficult time.
    Has it been five years already??

MRD

Gut I am so sorry about your friend. I know this stirs up your own memories. I will send you both healing thoughts and prayers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3864903;
    Gut-I was always taken aback w/your grace when you were going through your ordeal. My officemate who died last year "knew" she was going to die. (Could that have speeded up the process?) It was a hard thing going to visit her, but I also knew she would have come to visit me. I think just being there helps more than anything. She appreciated the books, the posters that people signed when they came into the office. Cancer certainly sucks- Unk, I was bounced off your friend's site on caringbridge-I'm still hoping for a miracle for her and everyone who has cancer. My sister's remission is over. She's still feeling ok but her breast cancer spread to her spine. The chemo is different I guess because of the location.
    I'm so sorry, famita, to hear of your sister's situation.
    I was feeling overwhelmed this past week with trying to get things in a row to clean out the house. My realitor was pessimistic about my chances of selling it, and I was starting to tailspin a little. But when you hear of others who are fighting much bigger problems, it is a humbling experience. My worst case scenario is that I'll still be here next year with a good-paying job in a house that is safe and warm.
    gabriel - can you believe it? 5 years!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3865988;
    gabriel - can you believe it? 5 years!
    Neither can I. That's amazing.

+ Reply to Thread