+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

mrd, hang in there. I'm sorry to hear about the snow. It looks like everyone is in the same boat and can't drive which doesn't help you much.

I hope your day got better.

MRD

By noon, we had had the big melt, so several friends showed up and helped. We still have a lot to finish up today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Give it a few days, and you'll be glad this all happened, MRD.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana;3809906;
    Last evening, a good family friend's home caught on fire. Living at the house is a dad, and 2 sons-Mike and Matt-identical twins, 19 years old. Mike was recently elected to our school board. Matt, sadly, was missing. Mike had sent messages to his friends, called everyone, and didnít know that Matt was in the basement all the while. Unfortunately, several hours after the fire had started, firefighters discovered a body that has now been identified as Matt. It is presumed that the fire started in the basement, Matt attempted to put it out, was overcome by the smoke, and perished. Mike, had went back into the burning home to rescue his pets, not knowing Matt was inside. He frantically called and sent text messages to their friends looking for Matt--and nobody knew where Matt was. Today, as you can only begin to imagine, this family is trying to deal with this horrific tragedy. These boys are good friends of my own son, and were quite inseparable as most twins are.
    Please keep this family in your thoughts as they struggle to deal with this horrible event.
    Thanks-
    WOW Ana, I started to read your post and thought you were talking about my neighbors! Their house burned down, right around the same time you posted this, just the dad and twin boys both 19 years old. Luckily, all of them were not home when the fire started and a neighbor got their animals out safely. Prayers for your family.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

A couple of weeks ago I get a message on Facebook from the brother of an old friend who found me on there. His sister and I were friends 20 years ago and he and I never said more than 10 words to each other.
    So in his message he's telling me about his marriage is not working out etc...and asks if it would be all right to call me to talk sometime.
    Sure I say, it'll be fun to catch up. I gave him my cell number and never heard from him.
    Tonight I get this message from him:

"Tried calling you on Saturday night, usually go walking with my dog on Sunday mornings between 8 and 9 at _____ resevior Driving a white ford pick up, hope to see you there "

OMG! So as I'm trying to calm down from that my house phone rings. I didn't answer but checked my messages and it was him. In the phone message he says what a coincidence that he is now living about 8 miles up the road from me. I am unlisted!

Suffice it to say that I am completely creeped out over this. I know I need to respond in some way but really is there a kind way to say that you're scaring me? If he thought my giving him my number was an invitation for any of this, then he's sadly mistaken. I guess I just should have said no and that would have been the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3842074;
    A couple of weeks ago I get a message on Facebook from the brother of an old friend who found me on there. His sister and I were friends 20 years ago and he and I never said more than 10 words to each other.
    So in his message he's telling me about his marriage is not working out etc...and asks if it would be all right to call me to talk sometime.
    Sure I say, it'll be fun to catch up. I gave him my cell number and never heard from him.
    Tonight I get this message from him:

"Tried calling you on Saturday night, usually go walking with my dog on Sunday mornings between 8 and 9 at _____ resevior Driving a white ford pick up, hope to see you there "

OMG! So as I'm trying to calm down from that my house phone rings. I didn't answer but checked my messages and it was him. In the phone message he says what a coincidence that he is now living about 8 miles up the road from me. I am unlisted!

Suffice it to say that I am completely creeped out over this. I know I need to respond in some way but really is there a kind way to say that you're scaring me? If he thought my giving him my number was an invitation for any of this, then he's sadly mistaken. I guess I just should have said no and that would have been the end of it.
    I am with you on the factor. What do you know about him? And are you living somewhere near where you both grew up, so that it wouldn't be that weird that he could track you down? If you talk to him, just kind of mention that you feel like he has been stalking you and see what he says. I am pretty sure I wouldn't go meet him anywhere alone. Especially if he does not have a reasonable explanation about how he got your unlisted number.

I am no expert on these things, but the fact that he mentioned something about his marriage not working out and then wants to talk sounds a little suspicious. What does his sister say about him? I would maybe write her and casually ask about him and his family? Do a little sleuthing on your own.

I hope this works out okay and is not really as creepy as it seems.

Yikes Bunny! I am getting the creep factor all over this one too!

Does he know exactly where you live? Do you think he has driven by, stalked, your home? And how did he get your unlisted phone number?

When was the last time you talked to his sister? I agree with Cootie that you should talk to your old friend and never, ever, meet this guy alone.

And he says his marriage is not working out....so he is still married, correct?

I get creepy, creepy, creepy on so many levels over this. It could be totally innocent, but the fact that he somehow left a message on your unlisted phone is strange, to say the least.

So sorry, Bunny. Here I thought that you may have made a nice re-connection with someone like Gut did recently!

Bunny555, I would send him a message on f/book and ask him how he got your phone number, which is unlisted? Put the ball back in his court, ignore the telephone message, ignore the invite of seeing and talking to him. I wouldn't ask him anything else, other than the fact that he got your telephone number which is unlisted.

I agree with CootieC, the old "my marriage is not working out" trick happens alot, my godchild is going through this right now. I told her, don't you dare get involved, no texting, no phone calls, no nothing, you tell him when he has his life in order, then call and see where it goes, if anywhere.

Be aware of your surroundings, Bunny, it may amount to nothing, but you never can be too carefull.

Devil's advocate here: Maybe he got your phone number from your mom or a mutual friend. Does his sister have it? Maybe he always had a crush on you growing up, or just really needs someone to talk to. Guys don't always have that many friends. He said that HE goes walking at the reservoir, not that he knows YOU do, right? (That's how I read it). So other than having your number and wanting to talk, he hasn't done anything over the top. If you still talk to his sister, call her and ask what she thinks is going on. If you feel the need to confront him in person (I'm not recommending it) do so at a highly public place like a busy coffee shop or the food court at a mall. See if you can find a guy friend (husband?) to hang out where he can see you and arrange a signal for him to come by and act protective and call you honey. When/if you do talk to him, make it clear that the fact that he's married makes him totally off limits in your book. Check out his facebook page and see what friends you have in common. Google him and see what comes up. He might just be a sad, lonely guy who has fond memories of you.
    ETA - Just re-read your post and want to make 2 ammendments. One is that it doesn't sound like he's married anymore. Do you know one way or the other? The second is that if he lives that close to you, just ignoring him may not be an option. Talk to him and find out, but make sure people around you know what's going on.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 02-28-2010 at 06:02 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Bunny555 Run.... Creepy is the first thing that comes to my mind. My advice is to ignore any contact from him and I wouldn't ask his sister about him either, unless you are interested. I would think that the proper way for him to have gone about this, was for him to approach you through his sister,( Do you think B would mind if I called?) since you were her friend and never talked to the guy. I don't like the fact that he told you about his marriage breaking up, and then wanted you to meet him at a reservoir (for what) and he left a message on an unlisted number that you didn't give him (total lack of respect for your privacy as well as where/how did he get your number ).
    I would ask people that do have your number if they have given it out and then tell them to please ask you first before giving it to anyone in the future.
    This guy maybe super nice, but I don't like the way he has gone about reconnecting with you, to many boundaries were crossed. I would be watchful and tell your children to be watchful. I know I sound extreme, but be careful.

+ Reply to Thread