+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3784589;
    Been there and done that. Have you been on any eyedrops or are you taking steroids? Don't fool with this -- sounds like you may have the beginnings of glaucoma. Sounds frightening, but I have it under control with one drop of a liquid med in my eyes each night. Pressure has been normal for years doing that. Glaucoma will take your peripheral vision so don't ignore this. Sorry to stick my nose in here, but that pressure no. is way off the charts. Good luck!!

He did another test- electrical probe to the cornea? And found the reason for my high pressure. Apparently I have freakishly thick corneas. Dr. said in all his years of practice he'd never seen them so thick. One eye was 685? and don't remember the other. So I'm ok for now and go back in a month for another test.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3786469;
    I'm giving up my Splenda addiction today. I have been using since it came out and use quite a bit. It is supposed to take 2 weeks to get it out of your system - and I am hoping it will help with my memory problems and joint problems. I'm finally admitting that it may be contributing, instead of just aging.
    Today is day 1. I will need encouragement. I use it in coffee (cutting back, and using real sugar) , it is in my coke (water can only be better).

I am going back to school, and I know that I used to remember what I read so much better. Hoping this will help.
    That's wonderful!! Stick with it, you're doing a good thing for your body. I have a real aversion to all artificial sweeteners. I figure at least sugar is a natural substance, I just have to use moderation. I don't drink pop very often (maybe once every couple of months I'll have a coke with lunch or something) and I actively search for products like yogurt and gum that don't contain any artificial sweeteners. I just don't trust that these things are healthy for us. You should be very proud of yourself!!

FORT Fogey

I'm giving up my Splenda addiction today. I have been using since it came out and use quite a bit. It is supposed to take 2 weeks to get it out of your system - and I am hoping it will help with my memory problems and joint problems. I'm finally admitting that it may be contributing, instead of just aging.
    Today is day 1. I will need encouragement. I use it in coffee (cutting back, and using real sugar) , it is in my coke (water can only be better).

I am going back to school, and I know that I used to remember what I read so much better. Hoping this will help.
    Good luck to you, schmoo2. I have often wondered about the artificial sweeteners myself. I don't have them except in my yogurt and in the clear sodas. And not much of that either. It's hard to break any long-term food habit. Hope it doesn't take you too long!!

Sending good wishes your way, schmoo2. Neither my husband nor I have used any artificial sweeteners for several years now, and we don't miss them at all. In less time than you think, your taste preferences will change so that you don't like things that are too sweet, so small amounts of natural sugars are fine. Even before it became "fashionable," we cut out stuff like hydrogenated- and partially hydrogenated fats, high-fructose corn syrup, and other popular cheap chemicals, and our health is better for it. As a result our blood sugars and lipids are well within the normal range WITHOUT medications -- even my husband, the kidney-transplant recipient of 23 years, who was expected to have to be on those drugs because of his meds to support the transplant. More recently, we've cut out factory-farmed meats in favor of organic, free-range (grass-fed and -finished in the case of beef), sustainable. We're looking forward to our next round of blood test results. What do we do about the expense? Easy -- eat less! We don't miss anything in the way of quantity, probably because the nutrition is better. (Bonus: We've met local butchers and farmers to whom we love giving our business!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I gave up artificial sweeteners a last spring/summer. I don't know if it will help with your memory or joint problems, but it sure made a difference in my own well-being. Also, believe it or not, I have had much better control over my weight WITHOUT them. I very rarely drink soft drinks - I only drink water and coffee (now trying to drink a little milk on the days I don't get around to having a yogurt). There are organic natural sweeteners available if you want to try those in your coffee. One brand name is Stevia. Be warned though, they do not taste like Splenda nor sugar and the taste can take some getting used to.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

My mom uses splenda. I used to sometimes as well. But it has been linked to cancer, hasn't it? I love sugar a lot so maybe I'll have to take that risk someday. I had no idea they could affect one's health so negatively. My mom seems to be alright though.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3786487;
    It definitely contains steroid. Whether it is a dose that would contribute to weight gain, I don't know and the information i just read had no mention of weight gain at all. I would ask my doctor. While I have a perscription for Nasonex, it's not something I take on a regular basis. However, I have never noticed steroids affecting my desire for food. Of course, I could just be oblivious to an increase in my eating habits while on steroids.
    Thank you NCLurker for the info. Seems like most of the meds I take have the side effect of weight gain and I suddenly thought about my Nasonex!

I also applaude getting off the artificial sweetener! I've been on Equal for about 20 years now--- who knows what it's done? I've tried to get off to Stevia, but it does have a different taste that I finally gave up on. I'm addicted to diet Pepsi's! I know it's the caffeine, but I also know it's the aspertame because that's the taste I want-- Equal. i need to give Stevia another try I guess...

Equal is the only artificial sweetener I can stand. All the others leave a weird after taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of. I end up eating and eating to try to get the taste out of my mouth. When I was a waitress years ago, someone opening an artificial sweetener at a table where I was taking an order was all it took for me to taste it in my mouth. Weird.
    Count your blessings!

My sister's surgery went well yesterday with a few differences in the outcome. When they went in, they discovered that a tumor was causing the nerve problem. They were able to remove it. There was no fracture on the spine. Now we sit and wait to find out what kind of cancer it is. My personal problem with this is did the drs know before surgery that it was a tumor and not a fracture? Is my sister trying to downplay the seriousness? I was not able to be there, so all I have to go on is the tone of voices over the phone. They had my other sister call me right after surgery to let me know everything was fine-she's the one w/short term memory. Did they choose her on purpose? As you can probably tell, I'm flipping out a little bit here. I am frustrated because I'm not there and have to rely on voices over the phone to tell me things. My sister did call me after she was in her room and she's the one who told me about the tumor. I don't know what to think at this point. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it's a little rough right now.

Sorry things are so frustrating famita. I'm sure you wish you could be there.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread