+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 1243 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586878889909192939495961361865861086 ... LastLast
Like Tree2024Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    Gutmutter - I don't post much, but I am a regular reader here at FORT and saw your post.
    Let me start by saying that I'm very sorry for the worry you are feeling right now.
    There are many other things besides "the worst" that the lump could be. Your doctor asked if you had taken a blow to the area because if there had been some kind of trauma to the area (a fall, or getting hit with something for example), it could cause a hematoma (a pocket of blood under the skin), that could feel like a lump. There are also Fibrocystic breasts (connective tissue scars), Fibroadenomas (glandular and connective tissue), Papillomas (growths), or Fat necrosis (fatty tissue). As well as a bunch of other benign (non-cancerous) explainations. The biopsy is done to determine what it is by what kind of cells or tissue is collected. No one knows all the facts until the biopsy is done but, keep in mind that today's data is that about 80% of breast lumps are non-cancerous.
    My best advice to you is to research and inform yourself before you go in for the biopsy so that when you do get your results you have a better understanding of what it all means. There are a bunch of web sites that focus on women's health issues. Here is a good one that has a section on breast health and has alot of information:
    http://imaginis.com
    As far as telling the kids , Im sure that they do feel your anxiety, but until you know the whole story I wouldnt tell them a whole lot. Maybe just that your having a health issue and having tests done, and that you will discuss it further when you know more. (I don't know your kids or how they deal with stress so it's hard for me to know how best to approach them). I think you will know when it's right and what to say when the time comes.
    I really hope that this helps you and maybe even ease your mind a little bit.
    Take care of yourself and please let me know how things go (you can pm me if you like). I will keep you in my prayers...
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

Gutmutter, I'm sorry that you have to wait two weeks to find out. Isn't it strange how the rest of the world just expects life - and you along with it while you wait - to just go on as if nothing has changed, when in reality, nothing is the same anymore? I know that just living with the "what if" scenario for two weeks will probably be harder than whatever news you happen to get when you do have the biopsy. I'm sorry that you're going to have to go through that. Just know that there are TONS of people here who care and who support you, and you can vent here anytime.

On a positive note, maybe the reason why they didn't seem too concerned about the two week wait could be because of the size of the lump. If it doesn't appear to be very large, and/or if it appears to be an isolated lump, then perhaps their radar screens aren't blaring "Warning, Will Robinson." (I'm sure the younger members might miss the humor in that reference!) I, too, would like to think that if they felt there was a strong chance that it was malignant, that they would move heaven and earth to get you in immediately.

Just know that we're here for you with all of the up's and down's, worried and what-if moments you might have over the next couple of weeks.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Gut, thinking of you also and sending many good and healing wishes to you. Tell your kids as much as you think they can handle. My sister and husband told their kids before they told the rest of the family. That worked for them.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Good luck Gut - thinking of you and hoping for the best! I know you'll hear a million stories, but both of my sisters found lumps (on the same day ) and both turned out to be calcifications and not a big deal. I hope yours is the same!

I'm thinking of you Gut. I too had this scare and it turned out to be nothing. But as a single mom I also know the anxiety that you are feeling. My daughter was only 7 at the time so I hid it from her, but yours are teenagers and may be able to handle it better. If you think they can handle it I would tell them. As far as the biopsy goes, you will have some local pain for a few days, but if the results come back ok (warning getting the results back can take 2-3 days), you should feel well enough to go on that field trip. I will keep you in my thoughts, especially on May 31st. Be sure to let us know how everything goes.

We're doing state testing today so I had to wait until lunch to come back here... you guys are so wonderful. I can't even tell you. I'm tearing up just reading your responses. Thank you, especially to Mischief for the statistics and website. My kids at home are both scheduled to go on school field trips for 4-5 days in the very near future so I don't want to worry them right away. I have a class full of kids right now taking a test, so i can't stay, but I will be back around 2. thanks again
    Count your blessings!

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Awww Gut
    Try and stay positive, hun. I had a similar scare earlier this year and everything turned out just fine. And I know -- the waiting sucks... BIG TIME.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Gut You're in my thoughts and prayers

ah marleybone, i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. i hope the sadness is gone now.

and gutmutter, my thoughts and prayers are will you. i hope it turns out to be nothing at all.

Premium Member
    Gutmutter, my prayers are with you too.

sher, thanks. This will work itself out, I know I didn't do anything wrong so I just have to be patient and wait for everyone to figure that out. In the meantime I'm hanging in there...

+ Reply to Thread