+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1680Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I wish the best for you and your family JD.

J.D. - My thoughts and prayers are with you, your Daughter and Son-in-Law. Hoping for the best.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

JD your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. I know it's hard to be apart from them, but insurance is going to mean a lot. This type of treatment is NOT cheap. Is there anyway you can go to Florida? I have a friend that went through radiation on his neck. He said it felt like a bad sunburn. Then he had chemo. He said th radiation was a walk in the park compared to the chemo. So let's hope the radiation does the trick and it isn't too hard on him.
    Do you mind my asking where he is receiving treatment? Moffitt cancer center in Tampa is rated as one of the nation's BEST cancer hospitals. My mom and my friend were both treated there and besides the good medical care, the staff is FABULOUS too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

JD. I am so sorry to hear about your son-in-law. Cancer sucks. My daughter is doing "Run for the Cure" today. I hope his treatment is successful.
    Last edited by canuckinchile; 10-04-2009 at 10:40 AM.

I'm very sorry to hear about your son in law JD. Your family will be in my thoughts and I hope his treatment is successful.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

J.D., I'm so sorry to hear about your son-in-law. There are so many incredible advances in treating brain cancer, in particular, so there's every reason to believe he can beat this. I know the words "brain cancer" are terrifying and I'm sure it's awful being so far away from your daughter and her husband. Waiting is the worst. Hang in there.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Thanks everyone!

Jess and Jim live in Ft. Lauderdale, and I don't recall the name of the hospital off-hand. My daughter works in pre-op at a hospital in Pembroke Pines, but I think they are going to Sunrise since Sunrise has a better neuro team.

From day one, I told them I could absolutely be there with just a few hours' notice, so they can at least count on that. Jim's mom was there for a while, but the kids only have a one bedroom apartment down there, so she was basically getting in the way and causing more grief than helping. Jess was scheduled to leave to come to Utah a couple of days before the biopsy - and Jim's mom told Jess to go on vacation and she would take care of her son.

Now, I've never had in-law troubles - ever - so this was a new one on me. Of course Jess isn't going to leave her husband in a situation like this! (Jess and Jim have been married almost 10 years, and his mom still thinks Jess is trying to take advantage of her son. ????)

One thing Jim's mom did was rally the hockey families (tight-knit people as they are) around to help the kids financially (after parading all of them through the hospital room, of course) - so that's a good thing. I sure can't afford to support them financially! And of course the nurses and doctors at Jess' hospital are being more than generous with time and money.

And Jim has such a positive attitude about it. Jess let him out of the house to go to the rink (not to skate, tho :nono ) to visit friends last night. I'm very proud of how my daughter has stepped up to the plate and taken charge - which is a far cry from the first day when she was sure they'd be broke and homeless instantly. (That's my girl! )

I've been putting the finishing touches on my basement so two families can live there if need be. It most likely won't come to that, but better safe than sorry.

So all in all, day by day, they seem to be holding up well. The future remains to be seen - but hopefully will see that the hockey door may be closed, but who knows what window will open up. I have every confidence he'll do okay!

Thanks again for the well wishes.

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, JD.

J.D., I'll be praying for your son-in-law and daughter. What a stressful time for your family.

I'm so sorry J.D. Keep us informed on how things are going.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread