+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1659Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

MRD, here in CA they have what is called a Dental Peer Review Board. It is for issues just like yours.
    Years ago, I had a problem wiith a crown done by a dentist. It had to be replaced, as per the ruling of the Peer Review Board.
    It is similar to the Better Business Bureau, Contractor's License Board, etc. I am sure they have one, also, in SC.
    Good luck. That totally sucks.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Whenever I hear stories like yours, MRD, I'm thankful for my dentist -- the kind who cares more about people than money.

As for who was the one who screwed up, that's easy to figure out. Each tooth is assigned a number, starting with the upper right [from the patient's point of view] wisdom tooth (#1 -- even if you don't have your wisdom tooth, that space is still #1. In my case, since I don't have my wisdom teeth, the first tooth encountered on the upper right is #2.), and they are numbered consecutively, following the upper row, then going down to the lower row starting on patient's left and ending with the lower right wisdom tooth. Ever since my dentist taught me the number system, I ALWAYS refer to my teeth by number with anyone working on my teeth. (i.e.: "The filling is chipped on #8" instead of "The filling is chipped on the right front.") I find I get much better service that way.

So it's easy to figure out who screwed up. If the number of the referral matches the number of the removed tooth, the referring dentist is at fault. If the number on the referral is different from that of the removed tooth, the surgeon screwed up.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Wow MRD, I'm sorry that had to happen. They definitely have to cover the costs of their mistake and I think you deserve something for pain and suffering too considering you still have a bad tooth to deal with on top of the pain from extracting the one they should have left alone. That's just unbelievable.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

The problem is with the tooth numbers. I was born missing 7 teeth and when the dentist was going over what tooth needed to be removed, there was an issue with the number, because that is the area where I was missing the most teeth (I never got my all my 6 or 12 year molars or 3 of my wisdom teeth. Not there to come in, wasn't born with them). Then the oral surgeon questioned it when I saw him and he did his own xray and we TALKED about what tooth it was. So I'm wanting to say that the blame lies with him as I told him which tooth was hurting AND he had the xray he took. But there could be some blame with the dentist for not making it more clear on the referral because of the other missing teeth. Believe me, I have heard "#18" way more today than I've wanted too. Mostly in the form of questions about whether that is or is not #18.

Part of the problem for the other extraction is that I only have T & Th to go to the dentist. I am not going to take class time to go, absences are counted, so that's part of the reason it's taking two weeks, but they could have done it next tues., that's MUCH sooner.

NRH, I will definetly check out the peer review board. Great idea.

Thanks for the advice all. At least the novocaine has worn off. Hate that stuff except for the pain relief, but the whole left side of my face was numb including my EAR!!! Never experienced that before.

This has been a pain in the rear (and mouth). I have had dental issues all my life. The missing teeth thing and a couple other issues I have are genetic, but dang, when you are missing that many to begin with, you sure need as many of the remaining ones as you can keep. BTW, my grandmother, mother and daughter are also missing teeth that never grew in. But I hold the family record for the most not there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mrd, I think it would be a good idea to contact an attorney now, just in case. And I'm not sure that I would trust the same oral surgeon to fix this (unless it was your dentist's error).

I'm sorry that you are going through this.

The tooth numbering system usually works (I have an old story about my #19 that had 4 root canals, one at a time, but I digress). With your unusual situation, it is my opinion that your dentist should have taken photos (not just xrays) and sent all of that to the oral surgeon. And the xrays should have been marked, and the photos marked, to identify the target tooth.

Maybe I should have been a dentist or surgeon, lol.

Just having a degree or advanced degree in whatever doesn't necessarily mean that they are "good", nor that they have common sense.

What have you heard back since your last status report?
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Before reading the above post, I was already thinking, "In a special case like hers, they should also take photographs and reference those as well as the numbered chart."

aiye, aiye, aiye!

Poor myrosiedog. : Having had alot of dental work done I feel your pain, but thankfully not your anger.

I would consult first on the implants. In most cases a bridge is going to decay beneath anyway, so you'd have to get a partial eventually. I have partials and have no problems with them. They aren't the least bit painful and weren't when they were done. (and you can't say that for implants!) Lawsuits can take years (but still consult w/an attorney to guide you), and in the meantime, you're missing teeth. Also, their malpractice insurance may not allow them to pay for implants and if you had to pay first out-of-pocket before any lawsuit/settlement, you'd be stuck.

Definitely get an attorney, like others have said.
    File w/your Dental Review Board.
    Get a consult from a completely different dentist regarding implants or partials.
    Remove the gator icon.

MRD I would be livid also.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3710579;
    Remove the gator icon.
    Best advice yet.

From one true Buckeye to another, eh, UnkleScot? :LOL:

BTW, how are you & the family doing?

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3710753;
    BTW, how are you & the family doing?
    We're doing okay. We have our moments, that's for sure. Thanks for asking.

+ Reply to Thread