+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2009Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I think she needs an attorney
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

IMO if he has been a good dad to his kids and has been prompt about paying child support up until these recent financial difficulties, I would be inclined to cut him some slack. If he goes to jail for non-payment she can wave goodbye to those cheques for a while. If she and her husband are both working then presumably they can support the children financially while the dad recovers from his economic problems. Perhaps they can negotiate an interim amount until he gets back on his feet.

Usually I would take the custodial parent's side in this but when I hear about a dad that up until now has been making such high support payments, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have two friends that are constantly engaged in court battles just to get their kids' dads make SOME kind of child support payment.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The only reason I suggest an attorney is to keep everything on paper to eliminate any future "he said - she said" Judge Judy type cases.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I have to agree with AJane. It's either she takes him to court and he runs the possiblity of going to jail, in which case she gets NOTHING, or she negotiates the terms for a set period. Not to get him off the hook permanently at that amount, but until he can get back on his feet. And when he sells that $1.3M home, she should make sure that she gets a set amount from that to cover the $1,800 per mo that she's not getting during these trying times. The proceeds can be put into an escrow to cover his debts.

God bless him ... this ex of my sister's used to pay $4,600 per month and that got reduced to $2,800 per month after she got remarried about 7 years ago. He also has paid for camps, braces, art classes, sports, etc. He has never missed a month. He also has the girls two weekends a month and is a great dad. Over the years they have gone on ski trips, a trip to Hawaii, and costly beach vacations.

My sister does have an attorney. He told my sister that her ex "can't" do this, because he agreed not to modify/lower payments so many years ago.

This just doesn't sound right to me. But I'm no expert in the law.

I just keep thinking "you can't get blood from a turnip." Things are pretty bad in the construction industry right now.

Well I work in payroll and you can only take a certain percentage of the non-custodial parent's income. You have to leave them something to live on for crying out loud! Agreement or not, circumstances change, on both sides and I believe only the court can decide what the non-custodial parent will pay.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;3704262;
    Well I work in payroll and you can only take a certain percentage of the non-custodial parent's income. You have to leave them something to live on for crying out loud! Agreement or not, circumstances change, on both sides and I believe only the court can decide what the non-custodial parent will pay.
    In these cases, an attorney is necessary, otherwise the parents get themselves in trouble and end up paying out the wazoo to rectify the mistakes.

Even if the parents agree on a lesser amount of child support, the judge still has to approve it.

One of our cars (our son drives it) was stolen this week. It is the second time it has been stolen, so maybe we will get lucky and get it back??? One can hope! This car is almost 20 years old! Maybe some of my FORT friends can keep an eye out for it in the Portland area . You never know!

He sounds like a good man. I know kids of single parents that would give their right arm for a dad that gave them so much. I hope your sister takes that into consideration. Her lawyer sounds greedy to me and lawyers can be very persuasive with their clients. My own divorce lawyer was a wonderful lady but she tried her hardest to get me to go for alimony, which I refused (wasn't worth the extra court time and hassle for me). She was trying to get a good "deal" for me and I understand that, but they also have their fees to think about.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by rgw718;3704151;
    My sister does have an attorney. He told my sister that her ex "can't" do this, because he agreed not to modify/lower payments so many years ago.

This just doesn't sound right to me. But I'm no expert in the law.

I just keep thinking "you can't get blood from a turnip." Things are pretty bad in the construction industry right now.
    He sounds like a great dad and it seems to me that your sister should consider cutting him some slack. If she can accept an amount for now that is more reasonable considering his situation, I would guess that he would be more willing to increase that amount in the future when he is back on his feet. Trying to force him to continue paying an amount that he cannot afford seems like a lose-lose situation that will only serve to create animosity between them...

+ Reply to Thread