+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 1221 FirstFirst ... 337374757677787980818283848586878889909192931331835831083 ... LastLast
Like Tree1554Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Elizabeth, I'm sorry to hear about your great aunt. She sounds like a wonderful lady who lived a full, rich life. Living 105 years is quite an accomplishment, and I hope your memories give you some peace at this difficult time.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

well, this isn't too big of a deal. Not like everyone else here *ADK*
    But, everytime one of my neighbors flushes their toilets, my shower drain goes glub glub glub and OY! the stink. Anything I can dump down it to help that?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Thank you angelic one2002 and roseskid for your kind words. This morning I am fairly emotional about all this, but your words really do help. Thank you!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

We're always here for you, ElizabethG. I know this is a difficult time, but I'm hoping with each day things will get easier.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    My cell phone bill came yesterday and it is $209.00!! It's supposed to be $135.00. I already got my phone taken away for not listening and now I may never get it back becuase of the bill. I dont know what I am going to do without my phone any longer. I asked her on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and I am going to talk to her about it today. I am not giving up. I havent spoke to Deshon all day today also. I am going crazy. Help me.
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Elizabeth - there's nothing like a Great Aunt. I had a great Aunt Gert who passed away a few years ago and I still miss her. There is just something special about that relationship. So, I'm sending you the warmest hugs. 105 is a good long life! Just think about all of the people she was able to positively influence in those 105 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG
    I learned a lot from this wonderful lady and I will miss her very much.
    ElizabethG
    Treasure the memories of this wonderful woman, think of her often, and speak of her to those who matter, and she will never truly leave you.
    I hope with each day that passes, you become less sorrowful for the loss, and feel more blessed for having her in your life in such a meaningful way.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Looks like I'm gonna get laid off

I'm only 23 and I know there's plenty of other jobs out there but I really liked working for Pfizer. And all my friends are trying to give me advice like it's just a job, or you'll find something better, etc. but none of that is helping me! I've never been laid off before! I work my butt off! Sometimes until 8 or 9 at night! I even blew off medical school, cause I thought I had a good profession going here, I guess not though Now I dunno what I'm gonna do.. I dont want to go to medical school now, maybe I'll go and get my masters. I just am so scared! I have house payments now and car payments, and I'm finally off on my own two feet without any assistance or relying on my parents, and right when I'm doing really good... my boss tells me they're gonna start laying off people (and it'll probably be me, I'm the youngest in the office, and I've worked there the least amount of time.)

I'm so scared, but I don't want to tell anyone I know, because I wanna be tough with this.

CallieCutie,

You don't know that it's you being laid off. And until you see the first person walking out the door with a box of his/her office stuff, you don't know for certain that layoffs will come down at all.

And while I'm sure that you're diligent and a valuable employee to your organization, the situation under which you're currently working is really no different than the atmosphere and conditions any other time--any of us, at any time, for any reason, can be let go, with or without a warning. That's just the nature of the work environment in 2005.

It's not your fault if you do get let go. Ever hear the expression, "Last hired, first fired"? It's happened to me. Hell, it's probably happened to a majority of the people in the workforce today, at one time or another. Again, it's not your fault, so don't worry about it.

You don't have to defend yourself and say you're a hard worker because if there's one thing I've learned since I had my first job at 15 (16 years ago now): Sometimes, being hired or fired has nothing--nothing--to do with being a hard worker or a lazy worker. Don't blame yourself.

If I were you, I would do two things:

1) Save as much money as you can right now. Cut your unnecessary expenses to the bone. Put away a little emergency fund right now, as much as you can, to pay your necessary expenses if you are laid off, and if there's a time gap between being let go and finding another job.

Remember that unemployment benefits are an option open to you. There's no shame in it. You paid into it. Get what's yours. Occasions like this are why you paid into it in the first place.

If you find yourself in trouble making mortgage and car payments and what-not, don't turn off the lights and hide in a corner of the house, wishing the phone would stop ringing and the late notices would just go away. Call them. Explain your situation. You are not the first, nor the last, customer who has lost a job and may have trouble making payments. Some of these companies will work with you; others won't. And even if they don't, you're no worse off than you were before. At least you tried.

2) Start looking for work now. Don't wait until the announcements start coming down. Ideally, as a coworker of mine once said, if you get the bad news in your boss' office, you want to tell him/her, "May I use your phone?" and tell the party on the other end of your line: "You know that job we discussed? I'd love to start Monday." It doesn't always work out that way, but how nice if it could.

Even if layoffs don't come down, it never hurts to play Indian guide and keep your ear to the ground to listen for what else is out there.

Beyond that, I wish you the best of luck. That's a hard position to be in, but you're not alone. We've all been there, at one point or another. And, yes, it's frightening. Don't be too shy or too ashamed to ask for help, if you feel you need it. You'd be surprised at what families and friends are willing to do if you need them.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Excellent, excellent advice, Phat.

Callie -- everything Phat said is 100% fact. It's not your fault, hon.

A couple other things:

1) Start working on your resume. In fact, it's a good idea to always keep your resume up to date -- just in case.

2) Ask for "letters of recommendation"... from your supervisor, clients, others in the industry. It never hurts to ask.

Good luck Callie.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread