+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

Does anybody know how hard it is to get on a school board? I think you usually have to get elected, but how much money and effort would you say it typically takes to get elected to the school board?
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

Quote Originally Posted by NickNack77;3475252;
    Does anybody know how hard it is to get on a school board? I think you usually have to get elected, but how much money and effort would you say it typically takes to get elected to the school board?
    It depends totally on the location / size / metro vs. rural, etc.
    My cousin's wife was / is on hers. They're in a very small city, though.
    If you're in a large, urban area, you may want to start out by getting on local community boards - library, homeowners', etc. - and that will provide you with a starting network before you branch out to your desired school board.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Our school board here is pretty good. Where we're originally from? Bunch of idiots. There it's not hard to get elected and we had a woman on there for years that originally got elected with campaign signs that were misspelled. So you can see what that county attracts. Here, they are compensated very well, and that and the high standards in the county tend to get good people running for office. But because we are such a large county, I would think here it takes a lot to get elected.

Where we're originally from is very small, so you get a lot of petty personal differences that get in the way of running the school board effectively. There is always someone there mad at someone else on the board and the meetings would be funny if it wasn't so sad that it's the school kids that suffer for their petty differences. City Council and County Commission are the same way there too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

F*G Cavaliers!

Or should I say Cavalosers?

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

Oh well, whatcha gonna do.
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

I had a very scary day on Sunday. My CO Gas monitor downstairs went off. And didnt' go off. It kept sirening CARBON MONOXIDE... GAS....GAS....GAS..... So I grabbed Gracie, Tootles and Bella, put them on leashes and led/threw/carried them to the end of the back yard away from the house. I opened the front and back doors, and my sweetie and I went outside to the veranda and called 911. We had both had very bad headaches, and I was feeling sick as I was making a nice dinner. Meowza! Suddenly, an ambulance and two fire trucks show up!! They were quick. We confirmed no-one in the house, kitties in the back, and that either of us wasn't quite up to snuff the last two days.

We were both taken to the ambulance where they checked out blood alcohol level, took down some information and rested until the TWELVE firemen went through the house, some carrying axes!! Their detectors didn't register much ( the house was no open with fresh air for a bit, called in their report, and called in the Gas Company Emergency Inspector.

He did his checking and discovered a few illegal connections and such, but no gas leak; either CO or CO2. His amazing gas dectector, which can pick up a "fart" from New Zealand (no offence intended) was showing it was safe to stay.

Please Note: Gas or Carbon Monoxide detectors sold have no guarantee that they work properly on all occasions. They are better than nothing. However, they must be thrown out every TWO years! It's a shame that there is no legislation to ensure that there are safe detectors out there for the public that last and work efficiently. And the Gas Company was not allowed to push any particular brand. Nor are they allowed to give you feedback on good or poor furnaces.

Needless to say, with a pretty dinner table set, two glasses of wine poured, and food thrown in the oven to keep warm, the mood of th evening had changed dramatically.

I had Melba Toast and tea and went to bed. =^.^=
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Wow-how scary! Glad everyone was ok!!

I'm sure glad you're all okay. My sister had a bad scare like that several years ago because their new furnace had been installed improperly. She's a real stickler on carbon monoxide detectors now and nags all the rest of us about regularly checking and replacing ours.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Is a carbon monoxide detector the same as a smoke detector? We're required to have the latter out here. But, I haven't heard about the former.
    Ms. Kitty, glad that you/ family/animals are all Ok.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3491872;
    Is a carbon monoxide detector the same as a smoke detector? We're required to have the latter out here. But, I haven't heard about the former.
    Ms. Kitty, glad that you/ family/animals are all Ok.
    NO! I believe you can buy detectors that can detect both, but the detection of smoke and carbon monoxide are completely different. Carbon monoxide can be emitted from furnaces and is very dangerous because you cannot smell it. Many times people do not realize something is wrong until it is too late! This is a blurb from an article in my hometown a few years ago about a tragedy like this (I cannot grab the whole article because it was too long ago):
    Anchorage Daily News
    Date: December 9, 2003

An improperly ventilated gas furnace caused a Bear Valley home to fill with carbon monoxide over the weekend, killing a man and his three children and leaving the mother of the family in critical condition, officials said Monday.

Anchorage Fire Department spokes-man Tom Kempton said investigators determined that the fresh-air intake vent on David and Rita Arts' furnace had been intentionally blocked, perhaps to keep cold air from getting into the house.
    I believe more and more locations are starting to require carbon monoxide detectors to be present in homes.

misskitty - I am so glad your family is safe!!

+ Reply to Thread