+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree966Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

I think we should definitely learn more languages as Americans. In Europe, there are so many people who speak 4 or 5 languages, and I think it really makes them more well-rounded people. I think people who have at least 2-3 years of exposure to another language are more open-minded than people who only know one language.
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

MRD

They also start teaching language in Europe in elementary school. Small children learn new languages much easier. In fact, I heard/read somewhere that once you learn to read or write, your facility for language learning decreases immensely.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm just confused by the concept that if they don't teach it at the high school, I can't teach it at the middle school. They only have me for 9 weeks each year, so I wouldn't think it would hurt to expose them to more than one language. They're not going to get any kind of fluency no matter what I'm teaching with only 9 weeks offered. Oh well. In this climate, it doesn't pay to grouse about your job.
    Count your blessings!

No offense to anyone on a school board here, but it's been my experience that most school boards are idiots when it comes to language acquisition.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3474772;
    No offense to anyone on a school board here, but it's been my experience that most school boards are idiots when it comes to language acquisition.
    Can I chime in here and parse your sentence down to

It's been my experience that most school boards are idiots.

No qualifiers.

I have negotiated with our school board for a number of years and what I find is that they are only as good as the information that they either seek out from the community or that the administrators give them. We are lucky to have a few that are there to improve the way things are run and are not afraid to buck the status quo. And in their defense, they volunteer an incredible amount of hours. Very few people ever attend the meetings, but since I go to them I can honestly say that they do appreciate information. The best are those who have relatives or friends who actually work in the trenches. The worst are those with an agenda or that are buddies in real life with any of the administrators.

Those of us who work at schools often assume others automatically know that what we do is important. We need to be brave enough to speak up. And getting involved in the elections doesn't hurt either.

ETA - Gut, have you thought about making a statement at a school board meeting? Or finding some parents or other community members who would like to defend the French class?

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3474810;
    . . . The worst are those with an agenda . . .
    Tell me about it! (Oh, you already did. ) Anyway, we had one here in one of the 'burbs who was a pastor of a local right-wingnut church -- his kids were being homeschooled by his barely literate wife -- because his main agenda, we later learned, was to eliminate all of the gay teachers.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

My ex-BIL is the superintendent of schools back where we're from. He's a good superintendent, does a lot with a little. The board he has had to put up with are total nut jobs. It would take me all night to even tell you about some of the crap that has gone on. And in this town, the town does come out for the school board meetings which I think is part of the problem.

My problem tonight is that I have realized that you can't go home again. Even if you haven't been home in 3 years. But have come to the realization that things sometimes change. Kind of sad, but also in some ways, a little bit freeing.

mrd, it is certainly not a black and white world. We do have some administrators who are very good people, and we are so lucky here that we don't have psychos on our school board. One ran against a present member and I worked hard to help elect the moderate candidate.

We need to continue to remind those in power that we are there for the benefit of the children. They lose sight of that from time to time...We need to remember to celebrate our successes and little good news stories about the kids with our "deciders" so that when crunch time comes, they have a conscience about where the money goes. It is easy for the money managers to translate all our jobs into cells on a spreadsheet. I do think we need to be activists to make sure they know us. It is much harder to cut our programs when they know what we do for kids.

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3474920;
    mrd, it is certainly not a black and white world. We do have some administrators who are very good people, and we are so lucky here that we don't have psychos on our school board. One ran against a present member and I worked hard to help elect the moderate candidate.

We need to continue to remind those in power that we are there for the benefit of the children. They lose sight of that from time to time...We need to remember to celebrate our successes and little good news stories about the kids with our "deciders" so that when crunch time comes, they have a conscience about where the money goes. It is easy for the money managers to translate all our jobs into cells on a spreadsheet. I do think we need to be activists to make sure they know us. It is much harder to cut our programs when they know what we do for kids.
    You are so right Cootie. It was always easier to request and receive the funds, supplies or what ever we needed for our kids from the Early Childhood Program Board when we went to the meetings with positve attitudes, kept them informed of our successes, good news stories, and explained exactly how the request would benefit everyone. Teachers, Parents, Kids and the Community.

+ Reply to Thread