+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1967Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

Wow, I guess the insurance issue won't die yet...

AJane, there are other ways to make insurers change from a for-profit business to some other model besides just having the government take them over.

However, in light of the recent US government bailouts of pretty much the whole US banking industry, and the country's largest insurer--AIG--these ways may be moot. The government bailouts mean a marked increase in government involvement in these industries, so either the government is going to end up taking them over or significantly restructuring them.

The vehicle insurance situation you describe certainly avoids litigation, but it also avoids really taking care of people. It sure is easy to give a crippled person a check for $3,000 and think you've done them a favor, but you haven't really. That's just an example of a system that has another flaw in it rather than the flaw we're discussing at the moment.
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

Quote Originally Posted by NickNack77;3469744;
    Wow, I guess the insurance issue won't die yet...

AJane, there are other ways to make insurers change from a for-profit business to some other model besides just having the government take them over.

However, in light of the recent US government bailouts of pretty much the whole US banking industry, and the country's largest insurer--AIG--these ways may be moot. The government bailouts mean a marked increase in government involvement in these industries, so either the government is going to end up taking them over or significantly restructuring them.

The vehicle insurance situation you describe certainly avoids litigation, but it also avoids really taking care of people. It sure is easy to give a crippled person a check for $3,000 and think you've done them a favor, but you haven't really. That's just an example of a system that has another flaw in it rather than the flaw we're discussing at the moment.
    I don't want to drag this discussion more OT, but I want to clarify - the lump-sum settlements under public auto insurance are basically a gift. Medical expenses and equipment, along with loss of wages, are paid under the policy in addition to the lump-sum. What's eliminated is that vague notion of a monetary amount for "pain & suffering", the stuff that ties up court time and makes attorneys rich. A victim's needs are taken care of, but they aren't entitled to six- and seven-figure settlements. Those kinds of settlements, btw, are a big factor in driving up insurance costs. The public no-fault system is able to keep rates reasonable this way.

How would you make insurers non-profit and not under government control? I'm not being snotty, I honestly don't understand how that would work.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I, for one, do not believe in punitive damages. I think medical reimbursements, on-going medical care, loss of wages are ok, but the minute you get into loss of consortium, etc, that's where I personally draw the line.

I was walking into school this morning and the principal mentioned that the high school won't be teaching French next year so I have to change my 8th grade curriculum (French) to a second year of Spanish.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut that's too bad. My daughter loved French and it's a shame they won't be offering more choices to students.

Well I've had sciatica on and off for the past week or so and right now it's ON again. I am limping around like House (don't have a cool cane, a team or a Vicodan prescription, but I"ve got the snarky attitude down pretty good). I've been to the dr about it before and the treatment is to stay off your feet and take anti-inflammatories. I just wish it would clear up. It's hard to stay off my feet when I have to work and I live in a house with a lot of stairs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've just heard that we're no longer going to teach German, and will ease in Chinese.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3471971;
    I've just heard that we're no longer going to teach German, and will ease in Chinese.
    You're trying to make me crazy aren't you?

My choices last Jan. for languages were German or Chinese. Spanish and French were already full. Which is why I ended up with German. But Chinese is becoming a lot more popular and I know why. But I'm NOT taking any more language than I have too and I only have to have one more semester of German.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I guess my point is that we have a company here in town that deals w/german trade. We do have 2 universities that have a wide selection of Chinese students, so maybe that's why our school system is going w/the chinese rather than the german.

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

Chinese is an amazingly difficult language.
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

Any language that doesn't have a Latin/Germanic base is much harder to learn when your first language is English. Even if I teach a second year Spanish, I'm going to have students who are new to the school with no background to build on. And our Spanish-speaking students will have two years of what they already know. Our school has a rotating "unified arts" schedule and they don't get a choice about taking them.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread