+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

Noreality, I feel your pain. It's ridiculous the insurance rates we have in this country and I have heard nothing but good stories from people that hail from countries with socialized medicine. And no, it's not doctor's practicing medicine, it's the insurance companies practicing medicine. And the doctors spend most of their time having to deal with insurance companies in such a way as to get them to pay claims instead of focusing on patients. It's terrible and it needs to be fixed.
    My daughter needs a certain kind of birth control to control some female problems, but our insurance won't pay for it until she's tried 6 other cheaper ones. The doctor had given her 3 months worth of samples and they helped tremendously, now she's stuck having to try out the other pills which are NOT helping the problem and at the rate it's going, it will be 2 years before she's tried all 6 to see that they are not working before they will approve the one that we already know does work.

Illusions, we dealt with something similar a couple months ago when my husband's tools were stolen. They caught the theives within 24 hours (thanks to my husband doing his own detective work), but were never able to find the $5000 worth of tools that they traded for crack. And now one of the theives is out of jail and still hanging around the same neighborhood. My husband has tried to bribe the guy to get his tools back, but that didn't work either. I'm sorry this happened to you. It certainly makes you feel less secure and violated. I'm guessing your homeowners won't cover the damage?

Well I do have a fungal infection in my ears. From wearing the earbuds from my ipod. I now have drops and hopefully all will be well soon.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-21-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I am very lucky in that I don't have any medical needs and so I rarely ever go to the doctor's, but the insurance is crazy. My brother has therapy once a week and it's $120 a session upfront. Granted, insurance pays for part of it, but at the same time it's a lot.

I also caused a mini fender bender today. I had crossed the street and was walking on the sidewalk to get to a bus stop. (It was at a gas station on a busy intersection) A lady in an Acura SUV stopped to let me cross, but this dude in a junky old Honda didn't stop soon enough and well, it was a little hit. Then there was a really old couple behind them that hit as well. There was this little bus for a community program that was filling up at the station, and the guy blamed me for "looking pretty". I blame the second guy. It's not my fault I have big boobs.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3463502;
    It's not my fault I have big boobs.
    HA HA! (Careful, though--you don't want to sound like Jessica Biel who's boo-hooing about being too pretty to get roles)

I HATE insurance companies. I used to work for them, as did a number of members of my family. They are sooooo dishonest! There are supreme court cases saying that the insurance companies literally "made up" the "malpractice insurance" crisis--because they were losing money on other lines of insurance (usually business insurance of some sort--like insuring all of Enron's officers...really).

Why is insurance required by law? Because insurance companies sold Congress on the idea that if we all pitched in a little, we could help out those who needed help. Seriously--Social Security is one form of social insurance program, so is car insurance, etc.

However, once the insurance companies got everyone to pitch in paying money into the system, they made it almost impossible to get any money out of the system. So the money that was supposed to go to helping those who are hurt or in need, it goes to pay insurance executives salaries and fund their investments.

Did you know insurance companies have more assets than banks?

That's not the way it's supposed to be.

I agree with Obama's attempts to overhaul the system. It's not doing what it was supposed to do, so it needs to be changed big-time.
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

My husband went to the emergency room awhile back with severe abdominal pain. The ER doc determined that he had a bowel obstruction. Since our local hospital is very small and not equipped to deal with such a problem it was decided to send him to another hospital approximately 70 miles away. The problem was, that both of the ambulances were out. So the ER doctor spoke with the admitting doctor in the larger hospital and they both decided that my husband needed to be transferred immediately so an air ambulance was called and he was taken in that. Now, almost 2 years later, we get a letter from the insurance company saying that the charge is denied because they decided it wasn't necessary for him to be transferred by air. I couldn't drive him myself because he was attached to an IV, heart monitor, had a tube down his nose and the morphine they gave him for the pain caused his heart rate to drop down to about 35. We filed an appeal and had statements from both doctors stating that in THEIR opinion at the time, they felt it was vital to get him to a larger facility immediately. We've been denied once and it's now in its second appeal. They keep asking for more records. This is a $9000 bill we are talking about and the air ambulance company, although they have really been patient, wants their money.

There is something wrong with the system when 2 doctors who are right there on the scene monitoring the situation make a call and then a doctor who is on the insurance companies payroll, sits in an office months or years later, reads a couple of reports, and decides that he knows better.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by NickNack77;3463944;
    HA HA! (Careful, though--you don't want to sound like Jessica Biel who's boo-hooing about being too pretty to get roles)

I HATE insurance companies. I used to work for them, as did a number of members of my family. They are sooooo dishonest! There are supreme court cases saying that the insurance companies literally "made up" the "malpractice insurance" crisis--because they were losing money on other lines of insurance (usually business insurance of some sort--like insuring all of Enron's officers...really).

Why is insurance required by law? Because insurance companies sold Congress on the idea that if we all pitched in a little, we could help out those who needed help. Seriously--Social Security is one form of social insurance program, so is car insurance, etc.

However, once the insurance companies got everyone to pitch in paying money into the system, they made it almost impossible to get any money out of the system. So the money that was supposed to go to helping those who are hurt or in need, it goes to pay insurance executives salaries and fund their investments.

Did you know insurance companies have more assets than banks?

That's not the way it's supposed to be.

I agree with Obama's attempts to overhaul the system. It's not doing what it was supposed to do, so it needs to be changed big-time.
    If you are in an accident, not your fault, if there was no insurance requirement who would pay to have your vehicle repaired? I know most people would pay if at fault or there is always a lawsuit.
    As for the car accident, the 2nd vehicle is at fault for following too closely.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3464032;
    If you are in an accident, not your fault, if there was no insurance requirement who would pay to have your vehicle repaired? I know most people would pay if at fault or there is always a lawsuit.
    As for the car accident, the 2nd vehicle is at fault for following too closely.
    When our daughter was a teen, she was rear ended by another driver who had no insurance. Our insurance covered our damages but we were out the $500 deductible. Many years later I got something from the insurance co. in the mail. I almost threw it away because we didn't have a policy with that company any more and I thought it was just junk mail. It was a check for $500. They had finally gotten the money out of the guy who hit us and reimbursed us the money. I learned that day to open all my mail, even when I think I know it's junk.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3464012;
    My husband went to the emergency room awhile back with severe abdominal pain. The ER doc determined that he had a bowel obstruction. Since our local hospital is very small and not equipped to deal with such a problem it was decided to send him to another hospital approximately 70 miles away. The problem was, that both of the ambulances were out. So the ER doctor spoke with the admitting doctor in the larger hospital and they both decided that my husband needed to be transferred immediately so an air ambulance was called and he was taken in that. Now, almost 2 years later, we get a letter from the insurance company saying that the charge is denied because they decided it wasn't necessary for him to be transferred by air. I couldn't drive him myself because he was attached to an IV, heart monitor, had a tube down his nose and the morphine they gave him for the pain caused his heart rate to drop down to about 35. We filed an appeal and had statements from both doctors stating that in THEIR opinion at the time, they felt it was vital to get him to a larger facility immediately. We've been denied once and it's now in its second appeal. They keep asking for more records. This is a $9000 bill we are talking about and the air ambulance company, although they have really been patient, wants their money.

There is something wrong with the system when 2 doctors who are right there on the scene monitoring the situation make a call and then a doctor who is on the insurance companies payroll, sits in an office months or years later, reads a couple of reports, and decides that he knows better.
    LilBit, I had a client a couple years back with an almost identical claim problem (air ambulance used but the insurance company denied it as it turned out the medical problem wasn't as urgent as initally thought). Once we obtained the statement from the ER physician, however, the claim was paid. Your claim should not be denied if the ER doctors felt that the transport was warranted. Keep fighting it, you are in the right.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Back when my youngest was 2-3 years old, she had some rather serious kidney problems that required surgery. Our medical insurance was great, they covered everything.....although it took forever for them to actually pay out the claims.

We would be inundated daily with bills from this doctor, that doctor, this lab, that lab, the radiology department, the nuclear medicine department, etc. etc. It was rather unnerving, but I took it in stride. Until the bill came stating that the insurance company denied her anesthesiology bill. I mean really! I know that medicine has evolved greatly over the last century, but I found it hard to believe that one could undergo this kind of surgery WITHOUT anesthesia!

They finally paid the anesthesiology bill after I bundled daughter up, took her to the insurance company and said that I wanted to talk to whoever the genius was who denied her claim!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3464460;
    Back when my youngest was 2-3 years old, she had some rather serious kidney problems that required surgery. Our medical insurance was great, they covered everything.....although it took forever for them to actually pay out the claims.

We would be inundated daily with bills from this doctor, that doctor, this lab, that lab, the radiology department, the nuclear medicine department, etc. etc. It was rather unnerving, but I took it in stride. Until the bill came stating that the insurance company denied her anesthesiology bill. I mean really! I know that medicine has evolved greatly over the last century, but I found it hard to believe that one could undergo this kind of surgery WITHOUT anesthesia!

They finally paid the anesthesiology bill after I bundled daughter up, took her to the insurance company and said that I wanted to talk to whoever the genius was who denied her claim!
    Good for you, Mama.
    Unfortunately, I also saw a very close friend, who was dying of AIDS, on the phone daily with his insurance who kept denying his claims. Sad state of insurance in this country, that's for certain!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

When my friend was dying of cancer, he and his wife both spent a GREAT deal of time dealing with the insurance company. That's not right, you shouldn't have to spend your last days on earth dealing with that crap. Nor should your loved ones. Takes away the time you SHOULD be spending with them.
    When my mother passed away, she left no estate (there was no money by then, both her and my dad had eaten up their savings and the money from the sale of their home dealing with medical expenses that the insurance wouldn't pay. My mom needed oxygen and for over 5 years we never could get the insurance to pay for it, so it came out of pocket), anyway, I took great glee in informing her insurance company that she was "deceased, no estate". But I felt bad that the doctors got stiffed on a lot of the bills. But she had paid into this insurance for many, many, many years and they took her money, but weren't willing to give it up to actually pay many of the claims.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread