+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Anyone know of anybody whose had a baby at 21 weeks to survive? My cousin is in the hospital with an infection and the drugs they want to give her will harm the baby, so they are inducing her. This is the first baby for her and her husband, both in there mid to late 30s. We're all praying everything works out for the best.

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

It IS possible, although rare: here are a couple of stories:

(1) A baby girl born at 21 weeks, 6 days in 2007 was the youngest baby in the world ever to survive:

“Non-viable” Baby Girl Survives Birth at 21 Weeks, Weighing Under 10oz

She spent about 4 months in the hospital. The doctors said they just don't know which 21-week and 22-week babies will survive, but technology keeps improving...

Fla. baby delivered at 21 weeks won't go home as planned - USATODAY.com

Here's an updated story: the girl is doing fine now, at about 18 months of age. The mom had to lie and say the baby was 24 weeks in order for the doctors to try to save her.

How the 'miracle' baby born two weeks before the legal abortion limit clung to life against all odds | Mail Online
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, Cootie. coltnlasma summed up my feelings perfectly.

sweet lady, that is very sad. I hope your cousin is at the best hospital and the baby is able to survive. Your family will be in my thoughts.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Premium Member

"Hope for the best but prepare for the worst" is how we approach this with parents. I hope your cousin turns out to be the exception, but be prepared for the baby to not survive.

This article sums up pretty much how it is for extreme prematurity.

Life at 21 Weeks: Immature Lungs and a Handful of Fragile Skin and Pain - ABC News

I'm a Neonatal Nurse Pracititoner, so this is what I do. Where I work, a 21 weeker would not be considered viable and they wouldn't even call us to the delivery. If the baby were born alive, he/she would be given comfort care - kept warm and as comfortable as possible, and parents allowed to hold as much as they wish.

It's more than just the gestational age, it's also the size of the baby. Medical equipment can only be made so small, and chances are even if they could fit a breathing tube in this size of baby, which is unlikely, they wouldn't have a suction catheter small enough to keep the tube clear of secretions. That's only one issue, there are too many to get into here. You're talking months of painful invasive procedures, and everything the baby needs poses a risk of infection - which can easily be fatal for these babies. If they do survive, there is pretty much a 100% chance there will be at least one or more long term complications - such as cerebral palsy, long term respiratory issues, developmental and speech delays, digestive problems, etc. I personally have never seen a baby survive at less than 23 weeks, although I know it has happened. It's extremely rare though.

You never want to totally take away all hope, and there are always exceptions, but the exeptions are very rare for a baby born this early. They would not give the mother meds that will harm the baby unless it's a something serious such as it being a matter of the mother's life being at stake.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 05-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Cootie - I'm so sorry that they are cutting your hours. I agree that it just stinks to be viewed as a number on a budget! I hope your friend's house makes it through the fire. I'm glad that he has evacuated so that you know he is safe!

sweetlady - I'm am sorry to hear about your cousin. I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it would be to be in her situation.

Marley - You must be a saint! It must be a sometimes gratifying and other time heartbreaking experience to be a neonatal nurse. Our second child spent a week in the NICU and the nurses there were wonderful. It was a very difficult time even knowing that our son wasn't nearly as sick as some over the other babies there. Thank you for the work you do!

A little bit of good news, they stopped trying to induce. She's not showing any signs of infection and stopped leaking amniotic fluid. An ultrasound of the baby showed he/she(they don't want to know the sex of the baby til its born) doing ok too. They're keeping her on antibiotics and just waiting and watching both mom and baby.

Thanks for the info NickNack and Marleybone. Its nice to know that its not totally impossible and wouldn't be an easy road either, but like you said Marleybone "hope for the best but prepare for the worst."

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

sweet lady, I'm hoping for the best for your cousin.

My trouble started when I went and looked at those articles-my computer gave me a warning that I had received a bad virus and I had to have an emergency cleaning. My first time! They cleared stuff off so my computer is back to norbal.

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Cootie I hope things will work out with your job and your friend.

sweetlady I'll keep your cousin in my prayers.

The Jesusita fire in Santa Barbara is still raging. I have just heard that my brother and his family are evacuating. I found a map that has been tracking the fires and my friend's house may be okay...These are not all luxury homes, many are just ordinary houses (some belonging to my special people!)

My job? I am a "glass half full" type of person. But I have to say that I feel knocked down by the proposed cuts to libraries. It is making me feel ill. I am in my mid-fifties and have devoted my life to the kids.

Cootie, that's just awful about the library budget cuts. People need libraries and librarians now more than ever in this recession .

My trouble has had me infuriated all day long. When I went outside this morning, I found that one of my tires had been slashed. And most of my neighbors had a tire slashed, and most everyone one street over had a tire slashed. The sidewall was punctured so I had to buy a new tire ($111). Lucky for me, my Mom was off today and she let me borrow her car to go to work. And she went to the tire place to have my car fixed. (She's awesome, isn't she?)

Some people are just so wrong and awful. I mean who gets a thrill ruining so many other people's days? Pathetic losers, that's who.

+ Reply to Thread