+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

There was an article on CNN a while back that talked about how a guy went to church and got a job.

Here's the link:
    They're hired! Going to church to get a job - Feb. 26, 2009

I think lots of churches have job workshops and networking programs, don't they? I know I once got a job through my church, and it turned out to be a really good job that helped change my career in a positive way.

It sounds like you really enjoy your church--have you checked to see if they have some sort of job assistance program? Or maybe they know of one at a neighboring church that might help out?
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

I have signed up to start volunteering as part of a commitment I made to myself to try and help others on days when I would normally be goofing off. It sounds cheesy yes, but it boosts my resume and it really helps me feel good knowing I helped others, even if its just a little.

So I have a small rant. I am rather sick of people asking my boyfriend or myself when we are going to get married.....GRRRR!! We have been going on almost 6 years and we have know that it will happen at some point. There just seems lately to be so much bickering with both of our families lately with other family members who are getting married in the near future. I have one cousin who's fiancee has totally gone bridezilla on my aunt, another cousin who is so intent on getting married with no money to speak of that the are giving new meaning to the word "cheap". The worst has to be my bf's sister, who has sought to plan a wedding that has put considerable strain on his family as the fiancee is not well liked.
    Honestly, with everything I have seen in the past couple of months, the 2 of us have contemplated just hopping on a plane to Vegas, etc. and just getting the whole thing over with. Weddings seem like more trouble than they are worth sometimes, lol!! I am stressed and these weddings aren't even mine, lol!

Oy, I needed to get that off my chest.

I think that they (your respective families) may be taking their frustrations about the other weddings out on you, but the easiest thing to do? Tell them that it is in your future, but you have bigger and better things to do.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3432418;
    Honestly, with everything I have seen in the past couple of months, the 2 of us have contemplated just hopping on a plane to Vegas, etc. and just getting the whole thing over with. Weddings seem like more trouble than they are worth sometimes, lol!! I am stressed and these weddings aren't even mine, lol!

It can be simple and still meaningfull... we got married barefoot in the backyard in a white dress I already had, flowers from the garden, potluck, my dad played violin. The only cost was $40 for the minister. Lots of family and friends, a treasure hunt for the kids and then we all went swimming at a nearby lake.
    Count your blessings!

A friend of mine got married at the Courthouse, both sets of parents gave them the money, that they would have spent on the wedding, they invested the money and eventually used it for a downpayment on a house. She said she never regretted not having the 'Big' wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3432418;
    I have signed up to start volunteering as part of a commitment I made to myself to try and help others on days when I would normally be goofing off. It sounds cheesy yes, but it boosts my resume and it really helps me feel good knowing I helped others, even if its just a little.

So I have a small rant. I am rather sick of people asking my boyfriend or myself when we are going to get married.....GRRRR!! We have been going on almost 6 years and we have know that it will happen at some point. There just seems lately to be so much bickering with both of our families lately with other family members who are getting married in the near future. I have one cousin who's fiancee has totally gone bridezilla on my aunt, another cousin who is so intent on getting married with no money to speak of that the are giving new meaning to the word "cheap". The worst has to be my bf's sister, who has sought to plan a wedding that has put considerable strain on his family as the fiancee is not well liked.

I think it would be funny as heck if you two just had a secret wedding and then months, or years down the road when someone started harping on the wedding you could casually announce that you'd been there, done that. If you've been together for six years I doubt that there's a lot you need so showers and wedding gifts wouldn't be that important. After all, how many silver trays does one couple need? (My daughter got three and one was just the right size for her to put on the top of the toilet and put her perfume bottles on. Her mother in law almost stroked out.)

A couple who were good friends of mine in college "eloped" -- not really, as everyone knew about it and they took the best man and maid of honor with them -- to Vegas 'cuz it was a fun thing they wanted to do, then had a party (in lieu of a fancy schmancy reception) a few weeks later. It was so much fun; they'd been together for years and didn't need any more towels or dishes or silver platters.

As far as getting married at all -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Don't let the nervous ones project their insecurities onto you!

My husband and I got married at age 40 (he) and 36 (I). It was small and not very expensive, as we paid for it ourselves without going into debt. We didn't have a lot of money -- and didn't really need a lot of money to have a small wedding in a park on the ocean. And nearly 15 years later, we're still married and haven't even come close to killing each other!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I have to agree with everyone else that a wedding does not have to be big and fancy to be meaningful. However, people shouldn't be harping on you about it!! If you and your bf are happy that is all that matters and if and when you decide to get married it should be because the two of you want to do it!! I have noticed the same kind of behavior with married couples who don't have children - people always asking them when they are going to have kids. What if they don't want kids!? What if they are trying and are having trouble conceiving!? Questions like that are personal are really aren't anyone's business except for the couple themselves!

Sad day here - I have a friend who has evacuated his house in Santa Barbara where a huge fire is said to have burned houses on his road.

And I just attended a school board meeting where it was proposed that my job as a school librarian(19 years) be cut 25 percent... my bosses proposed the cut. I am having a hard time with the fact that we are so expendable, despite our work and knowledge from so many years of mentoring our students.

I need to get to bed so that I can get up in the morning and greet my children at school with a positive attitude.

Oh, Cootie, I'm so sorry.

I know this sounds hokey, but at least the fire and the economic downturn - as destructive as they are - will eventually come to an end. And for whatever it's worth, my children (grades K and 3) both adore their school librarian, and I'm just as certain that your students feel the same about you... it is sad that it has to come down to a line on a budget, as I'm sure you are valued much more through the eyes of those you affect every day at school vs. someone who is crunching the numbers.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread