+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

Actually when you say it to the person, it's usually genuine. If you say it while talking about the person and they are not there, then it's a way of covering yourself from being accused of meanspiritness.

As in, "Betty Jane is such a tramp, bless her heart."
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3393500;
    Isn't that the southern way of calling someone a b**ch, or whatever insult happens to be in her head? I mean, usually it's just "bless [possessive pronoun] heart," but if "god" is added, does that add another dimension of insult?
    Maybe, maybe not, but I felt that she was truly sympathizing with my plight. She has been so pleasant to me through all this crap, and I've tried to always be the same to her. I have no reason to think she would be trying to insult me.

MRD, Betty Jane is also so buck toothed she could eat corn off the cob through a picket fence, bless her lil ole heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3393677;
    Maybe, maybe not, but I felt that she was truly sympathizing with my plight. She has been so pleasant to me through all this crap, and I've tried to always be the same to her. I have no reason to think she would be trying to insult me.

MRD, Betty Jane is also so buck toothed she could eat corn off the cob through a picket fence, bless her lil ole heart.
    Muduh - I'm sure she was being sincere because I'd wager she's "been there, done that".
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Isn't that the southern way of calling someone a b**ch, or whatever insult happens to be in her head? I mean, usually it's just "bless [possessive pronoun] heart," but if "god" is added, does that add another dimension of insult?
    No, no, you misunderstand--it is never, ever an insult! "Bless her heart" is notat all a way of name calling--it means more that the person was trying to do the right thing, but was cluess, so we forgive it.Or that, as Mudah says,is so ugly, or fashion ignorant, or poor, or whatever...all things the person can't help, but, bless our hearts, we just can't help gossiping about it; we mean no harm. "Bless his heart" indicates no harm intended.
    Example: Doreen's Mama went to Betty Jo's baby shower, wearing a hot pink polka dotted dress and a big ole bow right on top of her head, bless her heart.

If Southern women mean to insult someone, while they are gossiping, it's different, entirely.
    Example: "That Tammy, Billy's girlfriend, showed up at the baby shower with hip huggers and a spaghetti strap top on. It was sooooo tacky! Right in front of everybodys mamas and grandmamas, and she was letting her thong show over the top of her britches, and you could see three tattoos. Well, four if you count the nekkid picture of herself you could see on her left boob when she kept leaning over to get more cookies. I know she's fat, but it looks like she would be ashamed to eat the whole tray while some of the grandmommas didn't even get any."

If you are right there with you, we are more subtle in letting you know.
    Example: "Tammy, you look cold. Let me put this afghan over you, so you don't freeze. And let me put that tray of cookies over there on the buffet, out of your way, hunny."

Sorry--this seems to have gotten away from the "troubles" theme...no doubt it belongs in Coffee Klatch.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Seriously!? If that is true than I have definitely been insulted at some point in my life by someone who I just thought was being very sweet!!
    ETA - I posted this before I saw all of the explanations

Bug, it is VERY caring of you to be there for your neighbor! I cannot imagine how lonely it would be to have no family in your life. I am happy to hear that his nephew is coming and that he will not be alone at the end.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 03-26-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Hubby has gone to pick up the nephews at the airport shuttle drop off. He's going to take them to the hotel to check in and then take them to the hospital.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Bug, there's a special place for you, your hubby and people like you in heaven!

Thanks famita.

Believe me, sometimes it is very trying when we are as kind and caring as we are. There are so many people who will take advantage of that. I just feel one day karma will get those people in the end.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I agree with Famita. And when I say "bless your heart", I really do mean it because truly this act of kindness deserves to be blessed.

ETA: Karma can be a bitch. But it also can be very good to you when you've been good to others. Bug, good things are headed your way for what you've done for this man.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Aww mrd, seriously it isn't anything that I wouldn't do for any of you if I could. If I had millions of dollars, we would all be on an island somewhere enjoying life and never thinking about this crazy country again!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread