+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1659Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

  1. #7121
    FORT Fogey Margaritaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,857

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    Onei - just wanted to say that we have all been there. I mean that as in we have all posted things and then thought better of it at a later date. And we have all felt at one time or another that a mod's comment was directed completely at us! At least I have - those darn mods! Anyway, I hope that you won't stop posting with us just because of a rough patch you are going through. We are truly community here - and are always here for one another in time of need.

  2. #7122
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3212362;
    Sorry about your IC problems mrd. I think I remember you mentioning you had a special diet you had to follow. It stuck in my mind because it felt as if there was almost nothing you could eat and I thought at the time there was no way I do it. Is that diet not working?
    The diet is extremely hard to follow. I have managed to cut out a LOT of things on the bad food list, but it's almost impossible to cut them all out.
    I am also taking something called Prelieve that helps reduce the acid in the foods I eat as it's the acidy foods that can irritate the problem.

    And interestingly enough, this is the 3rd urologist I've had in 4 years and all pretty much have reccomended the same course of treatment and all have said it can take months to see any improvement.
    Heck at this point, I am willing to wait months for the improvement if they would just do some pain management and that is where I'm at right now, being angry at not getting any significant pain management. I'm not asking for an open ended Rx for Vicodan. But I am asking for something I can take when the pain level gets to unbearable (like a Darvocet). Because what I have now isn't working. I don't want to get addicted to pain meds, I really don't want a lot of pain meds, but I'm at the point now, where occasionally I need one in order to be able to function because the pain makes it where I CAN'T function.

    And being angry at the constant string of prescriptions that I end up not being able to take. Even with a co-pay, that does start to get rather expensive when you get one and take it for 2 weeks and then have to quit taking it. And I have asked for samples, but in some cases, they don't have them.

    I'm frustrated more than anything else which is why I'm venting. And frustrated that it takes something like a reaction to meds before a doctor will believe me that I have weird drug reactions. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've brought that up to have a dr. discount it and then I have a reaction and they go: "wow, I never thought THAT would happen".

    Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  3. #7123
    Hypermediocrity Amanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3212360;
    And, I would hope that in a thread titled "Talk about your troubles" that it wouldn't become "off topic" to talk about one's troubles. What would someone expect to find except troubles, and compassion? I sincerely doubt that anyone is trying to offer medical advice (or accept it) on this thread.
    Please, by all means, continue to discuss your troubles. We value the sense of community shared by our members, and don't want that compromised. But in that same vein, we would like for everyone to feel comfortable reading and participating in this thread and simply want people to exercise discretion when posting here. A little decorum can go a long way.

  4. #7124
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    My daughter has had lifelong sinus problems. She's had 3 surgeries in her short life on sinus issues.
    She had a recent MRI done and they have found a mass in one of her sinuses. They don 't think it's a tumor, but she is more than likely going to have to have more surgery to remove it.
    She has had ongoing allergies and sinus infections for years and the current one has been going on a month, despite antibiotics, etc.
    The reason the neti pot doesn't work all that well for her is that there is a blockage in one of her sinues. So now we get to go to the ENT for his interpretation. But the pediatrician had consulted with him already on the MRI and I guess they discussed more surgery.
    The poor kid is having an ingrown toenail removed next week and now this.
    She's miserable with the sinus problems and they get worse in spring and fall.

    They also FINALLY after YEARS and many tests discovered what she's allergic too and now we also get to go to another allergist and see what he reccomends.

    So hopefully, we can get this resolved soon. But I hate that she needs more sinus surgery as the last one was not pleasant at all. And I hate it when she has to go under anethesia.

    I hate when my kid is sick. And she's 17, so I guess it doesn't matter how old they are, we still worry and get upset when they have problems.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  5. #7125
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,309

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    Wow! When it rains, it pours. What a drag. I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's multiple issues. Hopefully, she will have lots of very calm, uneventful years once they take care of all of this mess.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  6. #7126
    FORT Fogey Missyboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    MRD, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. Allergies can be brutal and it sounds like she's got it particularly bad. At least they now know what she's allergic to, so that they can treat it. I know treatment can take years, but at least for me, it started to help fairly quickly, so it's good that she can start.

    And for me, it has worked. I'm still on allergy meds, but I can go into a park in the springtime without turning into a mess. I definitely sympathize-- the before part is not fun at all.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 10-06-2008 at 08:10 PM.

  7. #7127
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3212671;
    My daughter has had lifelong sinus problems. She's had 3 surgeries in her short life on sinus issues.
    She had a recent MRI done and they have found a mass in one of her sinuses. They don 't think it's a tumor, but she is more than likely going to have to have more surgery to remove it.
    She has had ongoing allergies and sinus infections for years and the current one has been going on a month, despite antibiotics, etc.
    The reason the neti pot doesn't work all that well for her is that there is a blockage in one of her sinues. So now we get to go to the ENT for his interpretation. But the pediatrician had consulted with him already on the MRI and I guess they discussed more surgery.
    The poor kid is having an ingrown toenail removed next week and now this.
    She's miserable with the sinus problems and they get worse in spring and fall.

    They also FINALLY after YEARS and many tests discovered what she's allergic too and now we also get to go to another allergist and see what he reccomends.

    So hopefully, we can get this resolved soon. But I hate that she needs more sinus surgery as the last one was not pleasant at all. And I hate it when she has to go under anethesia.

    I hate when my kid is sick. And she's 17, so I guess it doesn't matter how old they are, we still worry and get upset when they have problems.
    But I can be Pollyanna here myrosiedog, because I want to to tell daughterrosiedog that better now to get it than when she is 50 like me and Lord, it is heck trying to get this all taken care of. Misery gets more magnified as you get older.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

  8. #7128
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    Thanks all. I tried to tell her that I started allergy shots when I was 4 years old and took them for 10 years and today I'm the ONLY one in the family that does't have sinus problems and seasonal allergy issues. She hates shots. She complained all night about having to get a flu shot.

    She has also complained that the "only" thing she inherited from me were the problems. She also has kidney/bladder issues, ingrown toenails and sinus, allergy problems.
    She's probably right. The rest of her is all her dad.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #7129
    FORT Fogey Missyboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3213036;
    Thanks all. I tried to tell her that I started allergy shots when I was 4 years old and took them for 10 years and today I'm the ONLY one in the family that does't have sinus problems and seasonal allergy issues. She hates shots. She complained all night about having to get a flu shot.

    She has also complained that the "only" thing she inherited from me were the problems. She also has kidney/bladder issues, ingrown toenails and sinus, allergy problems.
    She's probably right. The rest of her is all her dad.
    If it helps, if she does have to get shots, she'll get used to them. I used to hate needles with a burning passion, but once I had to get three of them a week, I got used to them real fast. For me, the key is not to look. As long as I do that, I'm fine. (And I used to think I "had" to look). Plus, at least the needles are tiny.

  10. #7130
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Talk about your troubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3213043;
    If it helps, if she does have to get shots, she'll get used to them. I used to hate needles with a burning passion, but once I had to get three of them a week, I got used to them real fast. For me, the key is not to look. As long as I do that, I'm fine. (And I used to think I "had" to look). Plus, at least the needles are tiny.
    That's why needles don't bother me today and I administer my own B-12 injections now.

    I had twice weekly shots from the age of 4 to 14. You get over needle fear.

    She's just had some very bad experiences with IV's and that has colored her feeling on ALL kinds of needles. Shots are NOTHING like trying to get an IV in, but you can't tell her that. She's 17, there is no reasoning with her at times.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.