+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1986Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Gut we were posting at the same time! I updated in the post above you.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Buglover, I'm so glad to hear your husband's surgery went well! That's a relief!

Had a couple minor procedures done today myself. OUCH. My face is swollen and I have a shiner as a result. Also found out today that a family member of mine passed away from emphysema last night - my grandma's sister. Grandma doesn't know yet, and I have to go and tell her tomorrow. My grammy's 101, I'm scared I'll upset her to death, I'm DREADING telling her tomorrow. DREADING.

MRD

onei, I'm so sorry for your loss. It may not be as bad as you fear. I found with elderly relatives, they almost expect it and don't take it as hard as younger relatives do.
    My heart goes out to you all and my prayers as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Bug-glad your hubby is doing ok.

onei-feel better after your procedures. I'm hoping your grandma will be ok.

I'll be thinking of all our Texas friends out there. Hurricane Ike looks like a doozy. Be safe.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;3196663;
    I'll be thinking of all our Texas friends out there. Hurricane Ike looks like a doozy. Be safe.
    Well you name something after Ike Turner, then what do you expect???

Seriously, hoping all the Texans are safe and Ike isn't bad. Prayers and thoughts going out to all of Texas today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, someone told grandma before I did, but when I got to her house this morning she was teary eyed and not taking it so well. She takes a nap for the first half of the afternoon and I'm planning on going back over there when she wakes up to spend the rest of the afternoon with her. She is too frail to attend the funeral on Monday :-( She is my dad's mom, and my dad passed away several years ago. She managed through that but is so old that I worry major upsets like this will be too much for her.

My face looks really bad today. Seriously, I look like Rocky after a fight. The procedures were elective, but to fix some damage that a stroke did years ago. I'm kinda freaked out and hope it will look good when everything is healed...

stay safe everyone in texas.
    Unk- Hows Zach?

Zac is hanging tough. He gets to move to the next phase of his therapy, consolidation therapy, next month. Here's a synopsis of what he's doing.
    Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) - patient information
    Chemotherapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia
    There are three phases of chemotherapy treatment for ALL: induction, consolidation and maintenance. Many patients also receive treatment called intrathecal chemotherapy to prevent leukemia from spreading to the central nervous system.

Induction chemotherapy
    Most patients with ALL are given induction chemotherapy. The goal of induction therapy is to bring the disease into remission. Remission is when the patient's blood counts return to normal and bone marrow samples show no sign of disease. Induction therapy achieves a remission in more than 95% of children and in about 75% to 89% of adults. [1, 2] Induction therapy is usually very intense and lasts about one month. After induction chemotherapy, the next step may be a transplant or consolidation chemotherapy, depending on the treatment plan.

When a patient is diagnosed with ALL, he or she may have 100 billion leukemia cells. If induction therapy destroys at least 99% of these cells, the patient is in remission. However, that could still leave 100 million leukemia cells in the body. If these cells are not destroyed, they can grow and multiply and cause a relapse of the disease.

Consolidation therapy
    Consolidation therapy, the second phase of chemotherapy, is also intense. It lasts about four to eight months. The goal of consolidation therapy is to reduce the number of disease cells left in the body. The drugs and doses used during consolidation therapy depend on the patient's risk factors.

Maintenance therapy
    If a patient stays in remission after induction and consolidation therapy, maintenance therapy begins. The goal is to destroy any disease cells that remain so that the leukemia is completely gone. Maintenance therapy is less intense than the other two phases. It may last two to three years.

Intrathecal chemotherapy
    During all three phases of chemotherapy treatment, many patients receive extra chemotherapy to destroy leukemia cells that may have spread to the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord). This chemotherapy is injected right into the spinal fluid using a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) or an Omaya reservoir (a device placed under the scalp). It is called intrathecal chemotherapy.

Children with ALL who have a high risk of the disease spreading to the central nervous system may receive higher or more frequent doses of intrathecal chemotherapy. Some of these children may also be given radiation therapy to the brain. However, radiation to the brain can cause problems with growth and mental development in children, so doctors try to avoid this treatment

He goes to clinic once a week to have his blood work done an receive treatment. He asked his dad what was going to happen if he had to go to clinic on Wednesdays as that's "my day with grandpa and we can't go then." I told him then I would come on Thursdays instead. God love him.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 09-12-2008 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3197137;
    He goes to clinic once a week to have his blood work done an receive treatment. He asked his dad what was going to happen if he had to go to clinic on Wednesdays as that's "my day with grandpa and we can't go then." I told him then I would come on Thursdays instead. God love him.
    Okay, that brought a tear to my eye! How great is it that you can be near him and alter your schedule for him.

Have his friends kept in touch? Is he allowed to have visitors or are the docs afraid that he might pick something up from them (other kids, I mean)?

+ Reply to Thread