+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 1240 FirstFirst ... 185859606162636465666768697071727374757677781181685681068 ... LastLast
Like Tree1967Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Sorry, I know some people have "real" issues, but I'm just in here to rant.

Seriously, this week has been possibly the worst week of my school life ever. I am super stressed. Well, I took an Advanced Algebra test yesterday and completely flunked it. I didn't know anything and practically left like 1/3 of the the test blank, and I didn't understand the rest of 2/3 of the test, so I probably got all that wrong, too. I can't believe that I'm going to flunk this. I honestly have never gotten an "F" before on any test, so this is going to be my first. Not even the curve can save me, and hopefully we'll get another test before this grading period is over, or else my math grade is going to be like a "D" because 85% of your grade is on testing. So...I thought that was bad until I got my Latin Test back today. I got a "C+ 79% but to my Latin teacher he only takes the letter grade". I know that a C+ doesn't sound that bad, but I am usually good at Latin, and all my mistakes were careless mistakes. I don't know how the hell I conjugated "you" as "we" or how I can see the subject of the sentence to be "the old woman" and conjugate the verb in the masculine form. For this, I am more or less really pissed off at myself . I can't believe all the mistakes I made, and it is really eating me up. There is no way I can tell my parents about these grades because I will be so screwed if I do. That is why I have to bring up my grades quickly, or I can goodbye to my laptop, TV, phone, video games. This is hitting me especially hard because as a sophomore in my second semester, I have gotten a 4.0 (unweighted) in all my semesters. This semester this is definitely not happening. I would love to stay in the top percentages of my school, and with these grades this will be especially hard because my school is so freakin' competitive. I am so freakin' competitive. A "B" kills me. These grades can screw up my college application. I have always dreamed about getting into Stanford or other great schools in the northeast (I love Colombia.), and this is seriously going to screw me over. Okay, I'm so stressed. Well, I guess wish me luck on my Latin test tomorrow, and my possibly getting my math test back tomorrow.

Damn, I forgot I have tons of Chemistry Honors and A.P. World History homework today and this weekend. Why do they want to make me suffer?
    I love you J.J. Abrams for "LOST" AND "ALIAS"!!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by and they CANCELLED MY FRIKKIN' SHOW. I totally shoulda took the road that had all those people on it. Damn. -Joss Whedon (Firefly and Buffy ROCK too! )

Quote Originally Posted by Alphabet Soup
    heres one of my troubles..

comming out of the closet. what should i do?? should i come out? should i not? i try not to think about it, but i can't help but not to..
    That is a very tough decision to make. I have friends who have been in the closet their whole lives. I think that it is such a personal decision and one that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Do you have a core group of friends that would suppport you? How supportive is your family?

If you need someone to talk to I am here. I am just trying to get more of read on the situation before I say one way or another. I don't know if there is a "right" answer to this one, but I am here if you needs someone.

FORT Fogey
    Wow- thanks for the support guys! We are going to talk to the teacher about this when we get back to school on Monday. For now, I'm just letting myself settle down and I'm hoping that it will turn out okay. Thanks everyone!

Greenmustard- I'm sorry about your bad week. I know exactly how you feel, I'm a straight A student as well and it kills me to see a fat F on a test. However, things always seem to work themselves out. I'm sure you can bring your grade up before the end of the semester. Hope everything turns out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmustard

Sorry, I know some people have "real" issues, but I'm just in here to rant.

Seriously, this week has been possibly the worst week of my school life ever. I am super stressed. Well, I took an Advanced Algebra test yesterday and completely flunked it. I didn't know anything and practically left like 1/3 of the the test blank, and I didn't understand the rest of 2/3 of the test, so I probably got all that wrong, too. I can't believe that I'm going to flunk this. I honestly have never gotten an "F" before on any test, so this is going to be my first. Not even the curve can save me, and hopefully we'll get another test before this grading period is over, or else my math grade is going to be like a "D" because 85% of your grade is on testing. So...I thought that was bad until I got my Latin Test back today. I got a "C+ 79% but to my Latin teacher he only takes the letter grade". I know that a C+ doesn't sound that bad, but I am usually good at Latin, and all my mistakes were careless mistakes. I don't know how the hell I conjugated "you" as "we" or how I can see the subject of the sentence to be "the old woman" and conjugate the verb in the masculine form. For this, I am more or less really pissed off at myself . I can't believe all the mistakes I made, and it is really eating me up. There is no way I can tell my parents about these grades because I will be so screwed if I do. That is why I have to bring up my grades quickly, or I can goodbye to my laptop, TV, phone, video games. This is hitting me especially hard because as a sophomore in my second semester, I have gotten a 4.0 (unweighted) in all my semesters. This semester this is definitely not happening. I would love to stay in the top percentages of my school, and with these grades this will be especially hard because my school is so freakin' competitive. I am so freakin' competitive. A "B" kills me. These grades can screw up my college application. I have always dreamed about getting into Stanford or other great schools in the northeast (I love Colombia.), and this is seriously going to screw me over. Okay, I'm so stressed. Well, I guess wish me luck on my Latin test tomorrow, and my possibly getting my math test back tomorrow.

Damn, I forgot I have tons of Chemistry Honors and A.P. World History homework today and this weekend. Why do they want to make me suffer?

Dear, chill. I've been there and done that, and all I can say is cross yer fingers and take a deep breath. First of all, you probably didn't do nearly as badly as you think you did, and as a sophomore, you've still got plenty of time 'til reckoning day. Also, when you're really stressed and you've got problems with your schoolwork, don't be afraid to tell your parents about it - they're your best support system after all, and even the strictest of them can be understanding if you reach out to them.

And while it's great to set your sights on elite colleges, they're not the end-all and be-all of tertiary education; they might not even be the best fit for you, so keep your options open - it's not always a DO OR DIE situation. (I've got one friend who soldiered through two miserable years at MIT before finally throwing in the towel and transferring to St. John's College - which ain't chopped liver neither, and much friendlier besides - and now she's happier than she's ever been, so I don't ascribe to the notion that the best education is only offered at the Ivies. )

And, y'know, if you can, try to step back a bit from the impending insanity that's college applications, and realize that while competitiveness can be a good thing, it's also a harsh taskmaster and not always beneficial to your emotional and physical wellbeing. Dial it back a bit, and you might even have a easier time in college (especially if you're going to, say, Columbia) - where a lot of things are expected from a lot of really, really smart students, some of whom who will inevitably have to learn to scale back and compromise.

Good luck and godspeed, young thing!

Thanks, pinkie and nausicaa for your advice. I hope things do work out for the best. Well, this week is over, and next week is a new week to look forward too.
    I love you J.J. Abrams for "LOST" AND "ALIAS"!!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by and they CANCELLED MY FRIKKIN' SHOW. I totally shoulda took the road that had all those people on it. Damn. -Joss Whedon (Firefly and Buffy ROCK too! )

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    Wow- thanks for the support guys! We are going to talk to the teacher about this when we get back to school on Monday. For now, I'm just letting myself settle down and I'm hoping that it will turn out okay. Thanks everyone!
    Pinkie, did you and your original group members talk to the teacher today? How did it go? Don't let people like "Jennifer" get to you....there are gonna be a lot more people like that trying to ride somebody else's coattails when you get to college and even in the "real" world. Someone like that is NOT your true friend and does not care what happens to you as long as they are satisfied. Hope everything is turning out o.k. for you!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Group projects are actualy a good object lesson in the joys of the adult business world. There are always people who contribute less and then take the credit.

I definitely agree. Along with completing a project, this is a good lesson in learning how to work with others whom you may or may not like. And as mentioned above, the teacher knows - this one is just for your benefit. I'd say stick with the group you are in right now and try to make the best of it. Welcome to grownup-hood.

Group projects are the things I despise. I mean, they are good, and I agree with what Mariner said, but my group projects are always turning out bad. Because everyone thinks I am so smart, whenever we have a group project, they always leave me doing all the work. Our teacher doesnt even seem to care, because hes too busy talking to the cheerleaders in our class. Then, my friend has to choose either me or our other friend. I dont want her to have to choose a partner, but if she chooses me, the other girl gets irritated. Then, if she chooses the other girl, I am left working by myself. That is why I dont like group projects. You also get in alot of arguments.

Teamwork is important, but I don't believe it's something that's learned. It's something that's endured on each separate instance and doesn't get easier with time. Teachers assign group work under the pretense of teaching students to work together, but really, I think it's often to spend class time and save the effort of grading individual projects.

Sorry, I know this is not the case with every project or every teacher, but my dad always cut the BS with me, and I've therefore always taken formal education with a grain of salt.

I had a long post typed out, but apparently it logged me out or something.

I had responses typed out to Greenmustard and pinkie, but it was pretty much saying the same thing everyone else has been saying.

Since we're on the topic of school, I'm going to talk about it. It's been really stressful around my house the past few days as my brother just got his grade 12 diploma exam marks back from the ones he wrote in January and they weren't good. My parents were already worried about what he was going to take in college in September, but now I don't know if he can even get into a college. I'm really worried about the stress it's putting on my parents, especially since my dad has a stressful job already. I really wish I could do something to help, but I really don't know what else to do.

+ Reply to Thread