+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Livin4reality, there are a couple threads dedicated specifically to quitting smoking, and they might be of additional help to you.

Any EX Smokers here?

Quitting Smoking

MRD

First of all, this is in response to prhoshay's asking why people start smoking and then I promise to take any more smoking posts to the appropriate thread.

My parents smoked. Both of my older brothers and their wives/girlfriends smoked. All of my parents friends and most relatives smoked. My grandmother smoked. I started at age 16 because I thought it was cool. When my parents found out, they couldn't really say anything. You could smoke at my highschool in a special area designated the students smoking area. The teachers smoked in the teacher lounge and the principal, guidence counselor, etc., smoked at their desks in the office. I had a dentist that smoked in his office!!!!! I can remember visiting my mom in the hospital and she was allowed to smoke in her ROOM!!!! About the only place I can remember that was off limits to smoking when I started smoking was theaters and elevators. Every place else, was fair game.

I quit when I got pregnant in 1990 and foolishly after 12 years started again because I was under some intense pressure and couldn't handle it. I quit 3 more times and started again 2 years ago when I had the gastric bypass and was struggling in the beginning with that.
    I am a total slave to cigarettes and I know it. I wish I had never started, but back in the mid 70's, it was cool. They still advertised cigarettes and they targeted kids. I remember going to concerts where they would hand out sample packs of cigarettes that had 4 or 5 cigarettes in them as promotional items. I was buying smokes at age 16 and wasn't being carded. I used to be sent to the store to buy smokes for my parents!!!

I have an addictive personality and I know it. I have swapped food for cigarettes and hope I dont' go back to food when I have reached my "quit day" which is next Sat. The Chantix program has been great so far. Lots of help and support.

But back when I first started, I did it to look cool, look older, look more sophisticated, etc. I wish I could go back and never start.
    But I honestly have to say that now I enjoy it. I enjoy taking the break. I enjoy the entire process of lighting up. If it wasn't enjoyable, people wouldn't do it. Despite being addicted and knowing I'm addicted, I still enjoy a good smoke and that is going to be one of my biggest obstacles to overcome. But at the same time, I'm sickened by myself for smoking. Talk about mixed signals.
    And I have gone without eating to smoke (not for long, but I have actually given up a meal, so I could have time to smoke)

Did you know that from WWOne to Vietnam that cigarettes were part of every soldiers combat ration? Along with their food, they got cigarettes. (I'm doing a research project on military rations and came across that factoid)

My husband has quit smoking and he just quit. Never had a problem. He doesn't have an addictive personality. But he says the cravings were bad the first 24 hours and then he never thought about it again. I'm thinking about doing something evil to him in his sleep. (seriously, I'm proud of him for quitting, but he makes it look so easy and for me, it's not easy at all)

And it's taken a lot for me to even admit this here on FORT. But since Livin' took the plunge, I decided to come clean and admit to it. But see how ashamed of it I was that I wouldnt' tell anyone? But not ashamed enough to quit apparantly.

It's a sick habit in many ways. And actually the psychology of addiction fascinates me because of my addictions and some of the addictions of family and friends. I know now that with any addiction, it's not easy to hear people say: "Well just get over it". You can't. It is not that simple. And yes, I've used that as an excuse as well, but I also have tried and failed, but am determined this time to succeed. But I think you really have to want it and have to stop making excuses, which I can be famous for.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Good luck with quitting smoking, livin'. Sounds like you've got some great self-discipline as you didn't go into the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3163914;
    Livin4reality, there are a couple threads dedicated specifically to quitting smoking, and they might be of additional help to you.

Any EX Smokers here?

Quitting Smoking
    Thanks Mantenna! Great advice in the quitting smoking thread. I'll move my discussion over there. Day 4 and no smoking going on in MY HOUSE!
    femme-never thought of myself that way but maybe there is a strong women in here.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Sad news today. My best friend and his wife's baby girl was due to be born on the 18th. However, something happened today (I don't know all the details; he was too torn up when talking to my husband); they couldn't find a heartbeat, did a c-section, but they lost her. Obviously a very tough and terrible time for them, and of course their other children who were ready to welcome their new little sister.

Wish I could be there right now... but am back up in Auburn, AL now; interviewed for a job at the University that went really well, and just had my final talk with the dept. head, and so it seems like I'll be living up here again. But, will probably return here for a few days in the meantime for them. The job is obviously a great opportunity for me, and we definitely need the money; but, it will be strange and lonely being alone, as my husband is back at work in FL for now.

MRD

Pakacat, I'm so sorry to hear that about your friend. I have had miscarriages which are hard, but I could not imagine losing a child so close to term. I hope that they will all be ok.

And sorry to hear that you and hubby have to be apart, but hope all goes well on the job front with the Univ.

I worked a rental event tonight at the museum and the caterer who is just a fabulous guy and so is all his staff (I've worked with him before), had some issues, I guess, you'd call them. His assistant's mom and brother were in car accident on the way to deliver the catering equipment to the museum this afternoon around 3 p.m. The brother is just banged up, but the mom had to be airlifted to the hospital and was still in surgery at 9 p.m.
    The assistant came and helped set everything up and then left to go to the hospital. But both the mom and brother were scheduled to work the event, so they had to scramble to find some extra hands, but the caterers friends all showed up and helped out. The bartender is actually employed by one of the local tv stations and when she heard what happened, she came right over and pitched in.
    I felt so bad for the caterer and the staff. They are all obviously very close and yet had to continue the job they had been hired to do and were all going to the hospital after doing all that work tonight.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank you, myrosiedog!!

pakacat, my thoughts and prayers are with your friends on their loss. I am also keeping you in my thoughts for your job opportunity!

MRD, I love to hear stories about how friends and strangers seem to hop in when they are needed. Thank you.

pakacat I'm so sorry to hear of your friends loss. I lost a child after birth to SIDS. during this difficult time.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Anyone have any advice on this?

My BFF just finished telling me about her neighbors of 2 years. I met them when they first moved in and wasn't impressed (especially w/ Dad).

They have 4 kids, ranging in age from 15 to 7. They don't go to school, apparently they are homeschooled by Mom, who also works full-time. Dad doesn't work, smokes pot, is a racist, mean SOB who abuses his kids and wife. (many instances of such things have been witnessed by my friend) and first time I met Dad he asked me if I indulged in the weed also! He also told a story of his oldest kid who nobody has ever met. The oldest kid was kicked out of the family home for sexual abusing his younger siblings. So many red flags popping up here. They are close to being evicted from their rental, utilities being shut off all the time etc. My BFF refuses to do anything. She has pretty much cut off all contact with these neighbors. My heart is going out to these kids. Is there anything I can do?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread