+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1688Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3160640;
    Oh you guys, I am scared. Tomorrow I stop smoking, after many many years of doing this nasty habit. I started taking Chantrix (it is supposed to have a 44% success rate). Some side effects, a couple that concern me. Yesterday I was talking with DH about quitting and how he can support me and I started bawling. Just sobbing and that kept up for several hours. WTH? Feeling very anxious and scatter-brained too. Anyone have experience with this drug? Is that normal?
    I wish I could help with the drug part, I just stopped in February, this is probably the 4th time I've stopped, the three previous times lasting 9 months, 5 months and 10 months - this time I'm going to make it and once I get past December I'm ok

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3160640;
    Oh you guys, I am scared. Tomorrow I stop smoking, after many many years of doing this nasty habit. I started taking Chantrix (it is supposed to have a 44% success rate). Some side effects, a couple that concern me. Yesterday I was talking with DH about quitting and how he can support me and I started bawling. Just sobbing and that kept up for several hours. WTH? Feeling very anxious and scatter-brained too. Anyone have experience with this drug? Is that normal?

It's perfectly natural to feel anxious and upset when you quit smoking. Smoking is a way lots of people regulate their emotions and stress. So you're addicted to nicotine and all the little rituals that go along with smoking.

I wish you all the luck in the world, living, it's a wonderful thing to quit an unhealthy habit. Whenever you need support or just to vent, you can always visit the FORT!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

livin4, good for you for trying to take control over something that has made a slave of you. I think your emotions are understandable. All journeys begin with but a single step.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

CHANGE your HABITS and ROUTINES even slightly will help

MRD

I just started taking Chantix today. My quit day is next Sat. I too want to quit this nasty, nasty habit. I once quit for 12 years and started smoking again. Since then I've quit 3 times, but I started back about 2 years ago.

I feel like a social pariah, it smells bad, it's bad for me and it's expensive, but I am so hooked that I get anxious if I can't smoke.

So Livin, I completely understand. I've heard people say it was easier for them to get off heroin than cigerettes. I can see why. I am totally and completely addicted.

But Chantix offers a website for support and they h ave a phone number you can call for support. The plan actually sounds really good.

But I too am a little sad as I do enjoy it. Weird, but I do. I enjoy sitting outside on the patio and taking a break.

I've also read that the Chantix can cause a little depression, but it stops when you stop taking it.

Anyway, you're not alone. I'm trying to quit too and I'm taking the same thing.

I KNOW that this time, I will quit and be quit for good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

As a non-smoker, I've always claimed my right to take a "smoke break" because my co-workers did, but I didn't go to the area where they were. Nobody ever challenged me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

OK, took my first chantix this morning. since then I have had the dryest mouth and eyes and I can't get enough to drink. I am feeling a little dizzy and light headed and kind of, sort of in a stupor. It's like my head is stuffed with cotton.
    And my feet are REALLY swollen and I hardly even have that problem. They are so swollen they hurt.
    I read the side effects which are mosty nausea, but can include dry mouth and eyes.

I actually feel kind of "high" but not in a good way.
    I don't know if I should continue taking it tomorrow. I have to work and no way can I work like this. I'm having trouble just typing this.

I felt ok the first hour I took it, but since them I've been feeling worse and worse. Kind of like my brain and body are disconnected. I really want to quit smoking and I really want the Chantix to work, but I also don't want to feel like I feel now which is very strange indeed. It's just gotten worse the longer out from when I took the pill.

Going to go lay down as my head suddenly feels like it weighs 200 pounds and my neck can't support it anymore.

Should I stop taking it? Call my doctor now or wait until Mon. when she's in the office?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Aw you guys are great! Thanks for all the support.

Gabriel- I know you'll make it. Don't beat yourself up, I have in the past about this whole thing and it just doesn't do you any good. Just keep trying and it sounds like one day it will "take". I quit once for 8 months and then relasped. The old mind set of: Just one won't hurt and it does! And changing routines and habits..yeah I've got a huge plan in place. It is very important.

My kids and DH will be so happy and proud of me. It's gotten to the point where I don't hang out with any smokers, all my family has quit long ago. So that part will be easy. I've been smoking for almost 30 years, sorry to say..and starting to feel it in my lungs. It is scary to think about. And it is true prhoshay I do feel like a slave to cigerettes. Just about every aspect of my life is ruled by the damn things and I'm sick of it.
    I'll let everyone know how it goes.

MRD-I'll email you.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I wish all you smokers who are trying to quit a lot of good energy, positive vibes, and strong stamina. You can do it!! It may not be easy, but I know you can do it! Be strong. Be confident. Be vigilient. And keep focussed on how much better you will feel, how much more money you will save, and how much longer you will live!
    --------

Well, I had to go to emergency this morning. My Mom took my Dad in because he got a bleeding nose for the sixth time in 2 weeks and it wouldn't stop. He's on blood thinners and we hoped that they would cauterize the vein or something. He finally got looked at after 3 hours in the waiting room, and then we waited another 3 hours for blood tests to come back. I took my Mom down for lunch and brought my Dad back some food as he hadn't eaten all day. The darn doctors wouldn't do anything for my Dad. Just sent him home to rest and hope that his vein heals in a few days. Stoopid people. So tomorrow morning he can get another nosebleed that won't stop and we'll just have to bring him back again. Dumb system. Meanwhile he's scared to do anything or be alone in case he starts bleeding again and he passes out. I've sent him a group of healing fairies but any good wishes you may have are appreciated.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Best thoughts are coming your Dad's way.

+ Reply to Thread