+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2014Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

I am afflicted with yet another UTI and it's Sun and I don't want to have to go to urgent care or the ER. But I am in so much PAIN I don't know if I can wait until tomorrow. I do have some meds I can take to help, but they haven't helped yet.
    I hate these, I get them often and have been to the doctor countless times in my life to be told I'm one of the "unfortunate" ones that is prone to these.

I am drinking like a crazy woman (not alcohol, but water, cranberry juice, etc.) because I know that helps.
    UGH I hate these.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Have you ever tried taking some kind of anti-inflammatory to help get you over the hump until you see your doc? I found that ibuprofen, or whatever has helped.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Notice--The following advice sounds weird as heck, but I AM NOT MAKING IT UP

When I have skin irritations like bug bites or poison ivy but don't have Benedryl, I find that running HOT water (as hot as I can stand) over the affected areas provides long-lasting relief. I generally work my way up on temperature, starting with bath-temperature and then slowly reducing the flow of cold water. About the time I'm ready to scream, I know that the temperature is about right. I don't know if it will help you, misskitty, but there it is for what it's worth.

Use at your own risk!!!

If that fails, have your kitties scratch you!

ETA: This may be a little less over-the-top. It deals with mosquito bites, but the principle is the same. (from eHow | How To Do Just About Everything!)

Step1 Heat a small amount of water to where it feels very hot but won't burn you. The range of 100 degrees F to 120 degrees F is about right. Some tap water is heated into this range, so check your water before trying to raise its temperature further. Above 120 degrees F (48 degrees Celsius) burns may occur.
    Step2 Dip the corner of your towel or washcloth into the hot water, and leave it in the water for a second or two. Using the rest of the cloth to guard your fingers, wring out the drips.
    Step3 Press the hot corner firmly to the insect bite. Hold it there for several seconds. It will hurt but not more than scratching the welt would hurt. Pain can be a relief from an intense itch.
    Step4 Remove the hot towel. Wait a minute and see if the itch subsides with one treatment.
    Step5 Repeat Step 3 if necessary.
    Step6 Enjoy 3 to 6 hours of relief, allowing time for antihistamines to act while you sleep or work in comfort.
    Last edited by Newfherder; 07-27-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Aveeno oatmeal baths help as well.

I hope all the ill/hurting FORTers get better soon. It will be allergy, cold, and flu season in a few months and you want to be healthy for that!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3145900;
    I hate these, I get them often and have been to the doctor countless times in my life to be told I'm one of the "unfortunate" ones that is prone to these.
    Has your doctor ever suggested putting you on a low dose antibiotic regimen to prevent them? I know several women who are and it helps!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

myrosiedog & misskitty, I hope you both feel better soon.
    Margaritaville, sorry to hear you're having complications from neck surgery. I hope your back surgery goes well.

MRD

My doctor is very good at providing me with prescriptions to keep on hand for pyridium and levsin which help with bladder pain and spasming. I can't take ibruprofen because of my stomach ulcers, but can take tylenol.

I have been on the low dose antibiotics as a daily thing before, but I was told I couldn't stay on them indefinetly. I have been having this problem for over 44 years. When I was 2 years old and 4 years old, I got infections so bad, they went to my kidney's and I was hospitalized. (My mother used to love to tell the story of the doctor giving me morphine-I was a toddler!!!!!!- and me hallucinating spiders all over the car on the way to the hospital to be admitted. My mom had a warped sense of humor) That started the maintence dose of antibiotics for a few years and I've been on and off that several times in the past 40+ years. I just hate to have to take meds every day. I take enough for other problems and I think taking antibiotics long term isn't good either. I go through spurts (no pun intended. ) of having the infections. It seems like I'll have several in a row and then go a few months without a problem.

I'm just lucky I guess.

But thanks guys. I just get really mean and cranky when I have one of these and I like to complain about them. I do think it REALLY does make me feel better. Must release endorphins or something. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosie, I'm sorry you're dealing with a UTI. Those are no fun at all. You'd think after all these years, there'd be some new treatments that have been developed to help stop these from happening to you so frequently.

I have pure cranberry juice on hand just for the sake of the health benefits but it's hard to drink without adding in some water to cut down on the bitterness.

Knock on wood I haven't gotten sick (except for colds) in a while. I did have a kidney stone in April that was a horrible experience but I haven't had any viruses. I might go ahead and get a flu shot this year.

MRD, sorry about your UTI. That must not be a lot of fun (yeah, I know it's a little understated!)

+ Reply to Thread