+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2015Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;3144497;
    Take it easy MRD! I hope you don't have to endure another surgery.

And great news about Katie. I missed your original post about her pulmonary embolism, but when I read that you knew someone on blood thinners, I went back and checked. I had a severe case in 2004 (which eventually led to my major open heart surgery 3 years ago) and I also didn't have any of the major risk factors. They really had no idea why it could have happened, but after several rounds of blood tests (and a consult with a hematologist at my insistence) they discovered I was "lupus anticoagulant, antiphospholipid, antibody positive" (you can google it or look it up on Wikipedia). Basically, it messes up with your clotting factors. I had been hit in the leg playing slo-pitch in the summer of 2004, had a big bruise that took forever to go away, and started throwing clots to my lungs in the fall. I was finally hospitalized and diagnosed in December, 2004.

The treatment for Lupus anticoagulant is warfarin/coumadin for life. Which is scary, since the risk of bleeding is high, I have to get my blood tested every month or so, and pregnancy is pretty much out of the question. But it's much better than risking another pulmonary embolism. Around the time of my surgery, they threw in an 'inferior vena cava' filter in the big vein between my legs and lungs in case I ever formed clots in my leg again...so hopefully I'm well covered!

So if she hasn't already seen one, suggest to Katie that she see a hematologist and they check all of her clotting factors. PE's don't just happen for no reason.
    Wow Spoose, I'm so sorry to hear you've been through all that. They've told her that pregnancy right now is out of the question and they have taken her off BC pills because of the risk of blood clots. But I will pass this info along. The kid has had a lot of health problems with fibromyalgia and then the car accident, I hate for her to have to face this, but having a diagnosis would help her I'm sure. Thanks for the info and I'll pass it along.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Margueritaville: I'm so sorry to hear you will have to have back surgery again. Hopefully, it will remedy the complications you are having. Sending hugs and healing energy!

myrosiedog: Ooo. I remember you had that surgery last year. Try to follow the doctors orders and not lift anything heavy; that means Waldo, Rosie and Bogie!! Feel better soon! That was great news to hear that Katie is out of hospital!

---

Unfortunately I have continued to get hives from who knows what. I saw my GP today and have officially had to quit the Dr. Bernstein program. We don't know if it's from the shots, the binders in the vitamins, an allergy to aspertame, or a sensitivity to something I'm eating more of than usual. The clinic will not let me continue to follow the program unless I take the additional vitamins and shots, so I am out until we've cleared those as possible causes.

My body looks like one big mess; between the hives, the bruising from scratching and the fact that I basically don't heal well because of my depressed immune system, I look like I've been beat up by somebody.

If it turns out I'm allergic to something I have to take to continue with the diet, they will at least give me a refund for time I've already paid for.

At least I have a week where I can eat cherries and blueberries and not feel guilty about cheating on the program!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Miss Kitty, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you are over the hives and itching soon. Not much worse than hives and itching. Can you take benedryl?

Misskitty - lots of hugs to you!! That sounds miserable! How long do they think it will take to eliminate the items/ingredients in the program? And were you having success on it? That sucks that you are suffering so much from it... I have to agree with MRD on the Benadryl here - it works wonders if you don't mind sleeping alot.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3145242;
    Misskitty - lots of hugs to you!! That sounds miserable! How long do they think it will take to eliminate the items/ingredients in the program? And were you having success on it? That sucks that you are suffering so much from it... I have to agree with MRD on the Benadryl here - it works wonders if you don't mind sleeping alot.
    That's the beauty of benedryl, you can sleep through most of the miserableness.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3145423;
    That's the beauty of benedryl, you can sleep through most of the miserableness.
    And for other things Alka Seltzer plus COLD - knocks you out too...

MRD

And don't forget Nyquil.

When I don't feel good, I prefer to try to sleep through it as much as possible.
    Benedryl is my friend.

myrosiedog and margueritaville: I am using the new benedryl anesthetic spray which stops the itching by numbing the skin. But it does wear off, especially during the night. I do have benedryl, but I'm not supposed to take it because it doesn't mix well with my other meds. I'm not allowed Nyquil or most cold meds; particularly if they have DM in them. I just hope we figure out what is causing this so all my wounds can heal.

I really enjoyed having a bowl of chili and a bun today for lunch. Yum, yum, yum! I'm still writing down what I eat in case it's not the shots or vitamins. Then at least I can look back and try to figure out this puzzle.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

I'm so sorry to hear that Miss Kitty. Is there another kind of anti-histimine you can take? Maybe your doctor has some suggestions that wouldn't interact with your other meds.
    I'd be crawling out of my skin if I couldn't take benedryl when I get hives.

I feel for you MissKitty. I'm also apt to break out in hives for the most random reasons and I know how miserable it can leave you feeling. I hope you find relief soon.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread