+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

Ugh, I hate Discover. They kept calling me two weeks ago--before 8 a.m., which is a violation of the Do Not Call rules, even if you "do business" with the company--to offer me credit protection insurance. I called those freaks up and told them to cancel my card because I was sick of them calling me before 8 a.m. They pretty much refused to cancel the card but did take me off the calling and mailing (for promotions, not bills) list. Then they called me again at 7:30 a.m. three days later. I wasted enough time on them and just cut up the card. If they send me a new one, I'm just not activating it. It's not worth the headache and time to call them and berate them into canceling it. I'm sure that's their intent, but since they don't get any business out of me, my account will go into suspense soon enough.

Buglover and Bunny: Warm heartfelt thought sent your way

Thanks all for your input about a housewarming gift for my twin sinister. I have already picked up a couple of items I found at Goodwill: a set of 8 wicker chargers which would go beautifully with her table; a couple of bowls in wicker baskets; and two pottery pots for flowers. I may give her those for her birthday and xmas instead of a house-warming gift.

I threw out an invitation to her to come over to my place on Sunday to help demolish my back fence. Who knows if she'll show up or not. My older sister and BIL are definitely coming to help and I assured them there would be drinks and snacks and supper!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks misskitty.....Your sister is very lucky to have you in her life. My sister and I have not spoken for almost a year now. She was my best friend for as long as I can remember but she changed dramatically in the last five years.
    She's become so very judgemental. We lost our parents at a young age and it was just she and I for the longest time. She is 10 years older than I so she took it upon herself to try to be the parent I was missing as a teenager. She knows how much I appreciated and loved her for what she did but along the time that her granddaughter was born she changed. She was pretty much the only family that my kids knew and used to be so attentive to them. Once her grandkids were born, that all changed. I can appreciate the fact that she wants to shower her grandkids with love and attention but she did that at the expense of totally ignoring my kids on their birthdays, not being invited for holidays etc,,,,When I questioned her about that her response was...."You have your own family now".....I'm sorry for rambling on but it's my birthday in two days and since we lost our parents, we were always the ones to make it a big deal for each other so it just hurts right now.
    CYA

I'm so sorry, Bunny. Families can be the pits sometimes. Just remember that your sister is the one that's missing out from knowing your family the way she could.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;3141534;
    I'm so sorry, Bunny. Families can be the pits sometimes. Just remember that your sister is the one that's missing out from knowing your family the way she could.
    Thanks ScoutMom. She is the one missing out but it's so hard to try to explain her absence in our lives to the kids when even I don't understand it.
    CYA

I think sometimes the best answer you can give a kid is "I don't know". Even though kids think their parents know everything (at least when they're small they think that), we really don't. At some point, kids just need to realize that sometimes things can't be explained. We just have to live with them the best way we can.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;3141537;
    I think sometimes the best answer you can give a kid is "I don't know". Even though kids think their parents know everything (at least when they're small they think that), we really don't. At some point, kids just need to realize that sometimes things can't be explained. We just have to live with them the best way we can.
    Yep, that's pretty much the way the kids feel about this. For the longest time they thought that they had done something to offend her and were so worried aout that. I assured them that it was her issue not theirs. It's just such an incredibly sad situation.
    CYA

I hope everything works out OK and that your sister wakes up. If not, then I hope that your kids definitely don't blame themselves. Some people are just selfish. That's a hard lesson to learn.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3141533;
    Thanks misskitty.....Your sister is very lucky to have you in her life. My sister and I have not spoken for almost a year now. She was my best friend for as long as I can remember but she changed dramatically in the last five years.
    She's become so very judgemental. We lost our parents at a young age and it was just she and I for the longest time. She is 10 years older than I so she took it upon herself to try to be the parent I was missing as a teenager. She knows how much I appreciated and loved her for what she did but along the time that her granddaughter was born she changed. She was pretty much the only family that my kids knew and used to be so attentive to them. Once her grandkids were born, that all changed. I can appreciate the fact that she wants to shower her grandkids with love and attention but she did that at the expense of totally ignoring my kids on their birthdays, not being invited for holidays etc,,,,When I questioned her about that her response was...."You have your own family now".....I'm sorry for rambling on but it's my birthday in two days and since we lost our parents, we were always the ones to make it a big deal for each other so it just hurts right now.
    Bunny, we have the same sister???
    My sis did that to my daughter when our father died. My daughter didn't understand why suddenly her aunt didn't send her presents anymore. It was very hurtful and my child suffered. It's hard to explain to a child why their beloved aunt just up and disappears from their life. She had enough to deal with with losing her grandparents and then the living relatives abandoned her too.

I haven't spoken to my sis in almost 4 years. Her daughter got married in March and I had emailed a reply that we would go to the wedding. She then emailed that we could stay with her (what used to be a BIG NO NO for her) and I figured out she wanted me to do the decorations for the reception like I did when her son was married. Finances being what they are, we couldn't go and I never heard another word from her. Those emails were the only communication we've had in years.

I'm so sorry you are going t hrough this and am sending you a big hug.

I learned from my sister that I don't have to go through my birthday or any holiday alone because I have friends now that love me apparantly more than she does and I dont' need her for anything. She's the one missing out on having a great sister and a good person in her life.
    And I'd say the same about your sister. She's the one missing out. Surround yourself with the family you choose (your friends) and know that they love you for you and not because they have too because they are family.

I HATE Discover card. Back in the late 80's. My mom's wallet was stolen and someone charged up a huge bill on her Discover card (that was the ONLY card she couldn't call to cancel because it was a Sunday. Yes, they did not answer on Sun. But this was a long time ago). So anyway, long story short, despite a police report, lawyer consultation, etc., my mom ended up being liable for the bill.
    They tacked on all kinds of fees, etc. So that by the time my mom died about 10 years later, the bill had gotten up to $10,000. She was paying monthly on it trying to keep her credit up.
    When she died I got GREAT satisfaction in sending them a certified copy of her death certificate and a registered letter saying she had died, no estate.
    They then tried to collect from me!!! I was NOT on the account and my mom did die with no estate, so we never filed for probate, etc., so there was no way they could legally come after me. they legally shouldn't have done what they did to her.
    But I so loved telling them that they weren't getting another DIME!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Bunny555, We will be singing "Happy Birthday" to you in two days and sending you lots of awesome imaginary presents-I'll send you to a luxurious resort for a week 100 feet from a pristine beach on the Florida coastline!

Please says a few prayers for my officemate on Thursday at noon-ish. The operation will take 4-6 hours. The plan is to take out the tumor and possibly the right kidney. They will then be able to find out whether the tumor is malignant or benign.

+ Reply to Thread