+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1617Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I took my son to the optometrist last week for new glasses and contacts. When the sales person typed in my son's ss# to apply our insurance to the final cost, another name popped up along side his number. I immediately contacted the insurance company and tried to see what the problem was. I got this rude, uncaring person on the other end. He told me it was a typo and no big deal. He had the nerve ask me, "why in the world would someone want your son's ss#?", "does he have excellent credit or something?" and told me it was ridiculous. I finally asked to speak to a supervisor who was completely empathetic to my situation. We're still working on straightening this mess out but I'm so glad I caught it. My son is only 15 and I have never had to use his ss# for insurance purposes but more and more, our ss#'s are used for identification purposes leaving in out there for others to take advantage of.

Isn't it amazing how people will poo-poo a situation like a possible identity theft until it happens to them! Customer service is a joke now. Like my situation earlier, all the customer service reps honestly thought I had gone in and changed my own information on the credit card website for the heck of it and then wasted 45 minutes trying to get it figured out!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Buglover, you're absolutely right, Customer Service should be renamed Customer Disservice. I have encountered the rudest people on the phone and in person. It's sad because my kids are so used to this behavior, it's all they've known so they have grown to expect and accept it.

I cancelled a credit card yesterday, and the customer service rep actually used a little bit of a veiled threat to convince me to keep the card!!! I have never run into this before, I just didn't know what to say. Other than "EXCUSE me????" When all of the little "incentives" didn't work on me and I still wanted to cancel the card - she threw in "Well, I feel like I must let you know that closing this account might adversely affect your FICO score". Ummmm..... huh? Her reasoning was that since it was a card I had only had for a short period of time (a year and a half - no missed/late pmts or anything like that) that sometimes it doesn't look too great on your credit. Whatever.... I told her that my credit score was not an issue - just cancel the damn card already! Sheesh - the credit card companies are resorting to threats to keep you as a customer now?????

By the way - it was Discover.

Friggin hate Discover! I do know that cancelling cards does effect your credit score, but it only lowers it for a year or so. If you have 2 or more cards, keep a 10% balance on them and pay them monthly your score will go right back up.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I told the Discover rep that while I appreciated her concern, my credit is and always has been extremely high and a few points off for cancelling that card would make no difference to me. I guess it would matter to some people, but I have always been very savvy in my credit usage and it just hit me wrong the way she put it.

Good deal Margaritaville. These people make about basic wages and are trying to tell us how to handle our money! Pfttt... that's what I say! I realize most people in the country don't necessarily know that things will effect their scores... applying for a car loan, rental, etc. but it does go back up. It's not like you're not paying on something and being sent to collections!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Hmm, I'm not too happy with the interest rate of one of our paid-off but still open credit cards. I wonder if I try to cancel if they will offer me a lower rate?

And I also hate Discover. Apparently they will call and harass anyone with the same name as you, hoping they have the right number. No matter how many times I tell them they have the wrong person, they just don't seem to believe me. I don't even answer calls anymore that I don't recognize on the caller id.

If you call most companies, they will work with you to lower the rate. It irritates me because I received money and will be paying off a few cards only because I cannot possibly earn enough interest even in a Money Market account to counter balance the high interest rates on the cards. Backwards I tell you!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3141120;
    Hmm, I'm not too happy with the interest rate of one of our paid-off but still open credit cards. I wonder if I try to cancel if they will offer me a lower rate?
    They usually will -- especially if you already have a good payment record with them. It doesn't hurt, also, to have a promo offer from another company in your hand (or, hell, if you're a decent actor, in your head), and saying "I'm seriously considering transferring my balance to XYZ Card, because they're offering me a 0% rate for one year, and then a [whatever] rate after that. However, if you can make me a better offer, I might just go ahead and keep my account with you. Not that I'm making a decision today, you know -- but with the soaring cost of living and all, I'm educating myself and exploring my options. Are you the person I'd talk to about this, or do you need to transfer me to your manager?"
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread