+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3125508;
    What??? For both men and women? My sig. other has one....
    I think just women. I had one removed after my son was born because the breast tissue had become swollen and it really hurt.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Age 50 is the "magic age" for both men and women -- and then every 5 - 8 years afterwards if everything checks out. They gave my husband some good drugs, so he slept through the whole thing, and I doubt that he even remembers the car ride home. (I'm glad I was with him -- he doesn't even remember the nurse talking to us with aftercare instructions, etc., before we went home!) The worst, I think, is the pre-procedure clean out -- like PWS said, not painful, but certainly no picnic. Then there's the "rip-roaring" fun of getting rid of the gas that they pumped in . . .

And I agree, famita, it's one of those smart and necessary things. I'm sure the anticipation is worse than the actual event -- and though I'll gripe about the co-payment, a few hundred bucks for the screening is less than the several thousands -- or death -- for something that's gone on too long.

I'm jealous, though, of my mom and dad -- their "clean out" was at the hospital (one of the Milwaukee hospitals) early in the morning before the test -- recently, not the good old days. They were surprised to hear that with us, it's a do-it-yourselfer.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

What do you think of a 24 year old man who lets his mom yell at him for a 67c phone call overseas? Is something seriously wrong with this picture? I mean, please!

Does the man live with his mother? Is it his phone or hers? Does he pay the bill? Depending on the answer to those questions, the mother is perfectly within her rights to yell at him about any phone call, no matter how much the charge is.

And I'd certainly think LESS of a man who didn't let his mom yell at him for abusing her hospitality.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

He lives at home, rent free to boot, it's his stepdads and moms phone line, he pays just for his cell phone. Which no clue why he's not make l.distance calls on that *shakes head*
    His reply was this "rofl" my mom just came in and yelled at me for a 67c charge on the phone bill.. I told you they were crazy, but , oh no you never believe me.
    I was left kind of dumbfounded by it all.

Without knowing the whole picture, I'd say there's a whole lot wrong with this picture, including, but not limited to, the following:
    • A 24-year-old living with his parent/stepparent rent free.
    • An adult making a long-distance phone call on someone else's phone without the permission of the person who pays the phone bill.
    • (I'm speculating) A mother who tolerates her adult child's irresponsible behavior, then "blows up" -- rather than dealing with the situation in an assertive manner in the first place.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

PWS
    FORT Fogey

On the amnesiac drugs they give you for the colonoscopy---my sig. other didn't remember what the doctor had said (in front of me, I'm sure for just that reason), and didn't remember what I'd said when asked 5 minutes later what the doctor had said, 20 minutes later, half hour later, 45 minutes later....there was quite a lag before the short term memory kicked back in. Later I kicked myself...all the things I could have asked/said that would never have been remembered.
    The 2nd time around they were using less powerful drugs I think---the effect didn't last nearly as long (actually got a little scary the first time).

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3125884;
    Without knowing the whole picture, I'd say there's a whole lot wrong with this picture, including, but not limited to, the following:
    A 24-year-old living with his parent/stepparent rent free.
    An adult making a long-distance phone call on someone else's phone without the permission of the person who pays the phone bill.
    (I'm speculating) A mother who tolerates her adult child's irresponsible behavior, then "blows up" -- rather than dealing with the situation in an assertive manner in the first place.
    I agree on the "rent free" living at 24. Sad, just sad! And when I say stop sponging off your mom, I get lol'd at. Because he works and goes to college too. And he is the only son and his mom dots on him. So he knows it has it good, I think his mom getting mad over 67c isn't as much about the 67c as much as a bigger issue. I think he didn't use his own cell because he figured his mom would just pay for it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3125523;
    OK, do these hurt or are they just uncomfortable? At what age are they recommended for women?
    They do not hurt at all. You are knocked out for the procedure.
    It is the prep work to clean you out and the 24 hours of broth and jello before the procedure that aren't fun. It's not painful or uncomfortable, but you do spend a lot of time in the bathroom.

They used to n ot reccomend them until you were 50, but I know more and more people getting them earlier. My FIL had colon cancer in 1969 and survived it which was very, very rare back then, so hubby has to have them earlier and more often. I have to have them too because of my weight loss surgery.

But colon cancer is still a high risk cancer, so I would reccomend getting one as soon as you can because it is a great preventative test.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Let me tell y'all something without going into too much detail as I usually do. Picture it - Sicily 1906 -- wait that's the Golden Girls --- Anyhow, my parents divorced and remarried when I was a teen, stayed with my father & stepmother and was alienated from my Mother & Dad (step) by a vicious father & stepwitch. At 18 I left, and my Dad & Mom took me in despite all of the bull. I was with them for 6 months while looking for an apartment and the day I got my first place, they were so excited, I knew there was no such thing as "going back home".

A few years later (in my early 30s) I had life difficulties, stayed with them one night - that was enough - it was so uncomfortable I knew that while I love them and we now have a very good relationship, I would rather sleep on a park bench than "go home again". It is nothing against them but the fact that I really don't beleive you can go home again after being out there.

+ Reply to Thread