+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1456Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Add me to the well wishers bug......I'm sure everything will be fine and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3124114;
    buglover, an added bonus was that when the surgeon went in, he found a cyst (benign), but he removed that while he was in there, too! I know all surgeries could be dangerous, but it really is one of the more "common" ones that have few complications. Just saw that he was going to Mexico for the surgery. Do you guys have a doc there as well?
    All of his doctors are in Mexico where he lived as a teen with his family. He was born here but moved there as a young man and came back in his 20s. His parents live there and know this surgeon well. He refuses to be put on my health insurance because it is quite costly and here in the states that surgery is considered cosmetic by our plan so nearly no coverage!
    Yup, with donuts!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3125160;
    here in the states that surgery is considered cosmetic by our plan so nearly no coverage!
    WHAT? It's so NOT cosmetic! I wish I could find my old medical bills, but I'm pretty sure my insurance covered most of it 'cause my doc referred me to an orthopedic surgeon to take care of it. Anyhow, I'm glad he's in good hands and will be back on his feet again soon! (pun intended!!!! )

lol, yes I'm glad he's going as well.

My insurance company thinks removal of a third nipple with breast tissue is considered cosmetic even though it has a higher risk of developing breast cancer. Insurance in California is almost a joke now.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3125235;

My insurance company thinks removal of a third nipple with breast tissue is considered cosmetic even though it has a higher risk of developing breast cancer. Insurance in California is almost a joke now.
    Insurance anywhere is a joke. But we're not the ones laughing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

. . . Insurance in California is almost a joke now.
    That's for sure. When my husband turned 50 and had his first colonoscopy, it was classified as a routine screening and was completely covered. Under our current plan, it's interpreted as outpatient surgery with a hospital admission, so it's now a 30% copayment -- imagine my surprise when that bill came in! (And since I'll be joining the half-century club tomorrow, guess who's next for that fun little test . . . )
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

PWS
    FORT Fogey

What??? For both men and women? My sig. other has one....

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Ellen, I am a FIRM believer in colonoscopies. If my officemate had had them routinely (her mother died of colon cancer), they would have caught her cancer a few years ago.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3125517;
    Ellen, I am a FIRM believer in colonoscopies. If my officemate had had them routinely (her mother died of colon cancer), they would have caught her cancer a few years ago.
    OK, do these hurt or are they just uncomfortable? At what age are they recommended for women?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Pretty much the same age for all I think. Sigmoidoscopies are uncomfortable but don't hurt if you have a good doctor--similar to a "female exam". Colonoscopies they knock you out for, with one of those amnesia producing drugs, so who knows?
    ETA but you do have to "clean yourself out" beforehand...not sure if you would call that painful, but generally unpleasant.

+ Reply to Thread