+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1981Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

pakacat, sorry to hear about your grandfather. What a wonderful life he led.

Hearing on the Today Show about the scouts was heart-rending. And to hear that one boy scooped a younger boy under him right before the tornado hit was fantastic. And the boys that weren't hurt jumped right in to give everyone else first aid. Cheers to the BSA!

All Boy Scouts, as part of their Tenderfoot, 2nd Class and 1st Class requirements, are taught first aid. Fortunately, they don't have cause to use it in a real-life situation too often. But the Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared", so by putting so much emphasis on first aid, they're prepared in case it's needed. There's a thing that's used in many, many Eagle Courts of Honor about "100 Scouts". It indicates that out of 100 Scouts, so many will go into public service, so many will become leaders in their community, etc. According to that (and I don't know where the statistics come from), one Scout will use the first aid skills they've learned to save their own life, and one Scout will use those skills to save the life of another person.

From what I've read about this tornado, it sounds like the leaders and Scouts should be commended for keeping their wits about them and immediately helping the wounded - just like they're taught.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

ScoutMom, I thought of you immediately when I heard about the Scouts...bless those boys and their Scout leaders and their families...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom
    From what I've read about this tornado, it sounds like the leaders and Scouts should be commended for keeping their wits about them and immediately helping the wounded - just like they're taught.
    They did. The stories of heroism are coming out now. They had just had a tornado drill the day before so everyone knew exactly where they needed to go. Some of them were out hiking and rode out the storm in a ditch. As soon as it was over they all got to work helping the injured, clearing debris and digging the Ranger and his family out from under the rubble of their destroyed home.

My friend's son is ok, I just got off the phone with her. The kids had been split up into 2 groups, so half of them were on the other side of the valley and were safe in one of the few buildings that wasn't hit.

Quote Originally Posted by famita
    And to hear that one boy scooped a younger boy under him right before the tornado hit was fantastic.
    I don't personally know that boy, but he is from our local troop. He told his mom (she was interviewed last night) that the younger boy was so scared he was freaking out, and he didn't know what else to do so he just laid on top of him.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 06-12-2008 at 06:02 PM.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

pakacat, my condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Grandfather.

Marleybone, I'm so gald to read your friends son is okay. What a terrible, horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all who are suffering as a result.

I'm so sorry pakacat to hear about your beloved grandfather. May he rest in peace.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thank you again for the condolences, all; it is much appreciated.

I'm sorry for your loss pakacat. Keep those memories warm in your heart.

Any update on the scouts?
    Count your blessings!

As of last night, I know of 4 that are still in the hospital. Two of them in serious condition and two in fair.

I can't help but think of hard this fathers day is for the four families that lost sons. In one case, he was their only child. It's just heartbreaking.

As some of you may know, I am the Maintenance Manager for a retirement/nursing home community. (Physical plant - not housekeeping) Yesterday one of the guys was off and the other guy didn't show up, I had asked my assistant Bob, where Chad was so he called his cell, beeper and Moms phone and left messages - nothing. Bob calls me about 8:00 last night to tell me that Chads younger sister called and they found him in bed dead. Sometime between Sunday and Monday morning he passed on. He was 40 years old 10 years younger than me, leaves behind a 10 yr old boy and an ex wife. Enjoy life people - it can end in a snap. Now begins the process of finding a replacement unless management decides to not. Needless to say I am a bit bummed out today.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread