+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2015Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

The camp covers an 1800 acre area. It's surrounded mostly by rural areas and small towns. There were 93 boys and 25 adults there when the tornado hit. And although there were some buildings there, they were all staying in tents.

They are still searching the area but it is totally destroyed and now it's dark, so progress is very slow. Those that are injured have been taken to several area hospitals. At least 3 have been life fighted to Sioux City and they are awaiting 2 more shortly. I'm not sure how many have been airlifted to Omaha. They are scattered throughout area hospitals, so getting an exact head count right now is difficult. Parents are gathering at an area community center to wait for word on their sons. I can't imagine how hard the waiting is.

Please keep all of them in your prayers.

Sherri- I was just reading about that news on another site; that is so tragic.

brunette trixie and myrosiedog- Thank you! Yep, he always had the most interesting stories to tell about his war days. He definitely did his part for the country!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri;3051908;
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought maybe this was the best place. We had a lot of tornados in the area tonight. A boy scout camp was directly hit and at least 4 are dead and many others injured. Please keep these boys and their families in your thoughts and prayers. It is getting dark very quickly and they haven't yet been able to access many parts of the camp. I hope the rescue efforts are successful and no one else is lost.
    We must be neighbors, I'm at work in Omaha right now. They were showing the meeting room where the parents of the scouts are gathering. I just happened to look up at the TV and saw a friend of mine walking around crying. I knew her son was active in scouting but didn't know he was at the camp. It's seriously freaking me out.

On our 11 p.m. news here, they said that 4 boy scouts were killed and at least 20, maybe as much as 40, were injured. I have a sinking feeling that more injured will be added to that list once all these hospitals update. How tragic!

Pakacat, sorry for your loss. 92 years old....what a life he must have had. And how nice that you have had him in your life for as long as you have. Keep thinking of the good memories you were able to share with him.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3051993;
    I once wrote a eulogy for a very good friend and in it I said that as long as the memories live on in our hearts and minds, then our loved one is never truly gone. I hope the memories can comfort you during this time.
    pakacat, I'm sorry for your loss.

When my grandfather passed away the priest said that the passing of someone could be compared to a sunset over water. Her grandchild had said of a sunset once, that even though the sun is no longer up, it left all it's colours in the water for us to see. It works the same way with memories, the person may not be around anymore, but she/he has left something in all of us to remember and enjoy. I really liked that simile.

Those scouts and their families are in my prayers. My son was in Scouting for many years and I can't even fathom not knowing where he was and whether or not he was safe after a tragedy like that.

pakacat, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather--knowing it's coming really deosn't make it easy.

I hope they don't discover any more losses at the boy scout camp, but I guess it will be a while before they have time to check everything.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

pakacat - I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

As a Scout leader for many years, it's always horrible to hear news like this. In addition to keeping the Scouts and their families in your prayers, please also pray for the leaders that were at the camp. Although they have no control over weather conditions, I'm sure they are having a horrible time dealing with the fact that those boys were in their care when this happened.

My condolences to your family pakacat. I hope all your troubles go away.

pakacat. I am sorry to hear about your grandfather

+ Reply to Thread