+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 1224 FirstFirst ... 125253545556575859606162636465666768697071721121625621062 ... LastLast
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Well, work got turned totally upside down today. Our boss sold the company. It was either that or she was going to just close the doors last night, of course not telling us...just leaving us to find out when we tried to come in today. I was not impressed when I found out that she almost did this. I would not have been fun to be around had I gotten to work this morning and found out that we were closed for good.

The guy that bought it used to be vice-president of the company. He has been trying to talk her into this since he was laid off 2 years ago.

He was looking over the financial stuff and it turns out we have been running in the red for 2 years. Not good at all. We all had to take pay cuts. Mine is basically $1 an hour. Plus we lose vacation pay, sick pay and holiday pay for the time being. Plus insurance is now gone, too.

I am going to cash in my 401K to have a cushion and stick with the company. I am confident he can turn it around, he is a good salesman and customers is what we need. The old boss never went out and sold, she just waited for people to call. Plus I think he is confident otherwise he wouldn't have bought the company. On top of it all he is a very nice guy. He said when things get better pay will go up. Until then, keep me in your thoughts and prayers, ok?

Oh dagwood, how frustrating! I hope the new owner can turn the business around. Sometimes change is the best thing that can happen for a business. Most importantly, at least you still have a job. I hope your pay and benefits get back to where they belong. Good luck as you go through this transition.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Akkk! Dagwood, that's awful. Since 99 percent of us live paycheck-to-paycheck (including me), I would have flipped! I don't know what I would do, you are so lucky to have the 401k - it may be your saving grace. I hope everything works out for you - being a single mom is tough enough, but with a cut in pay and losing your insurance must be horrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I've heard of employers locking the doors and taping up a sign for the employees to read in the morning when they get there. How chicken-sh** is that? She couldn't even tell her employees! I'd be furious! Good luck, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    dagwood, that sucks. I hope the new boss can turn things around for the company. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well, Monday night I came home from work and my dog was having a hard time trying to walk. He was tilting to the left and tripping over his feet. I assumed that he hurt himself on the slippery steps. Yesterday when I got up the same thing. I went home for lunch to find that my poor dog had thrown up twice and couldn't walk or stand. So, me being the emotional person I am, contacted my husband hysterical crying. Then I called the vet to make an appointment for them to see him. I gave him some water and he threw that up. So I call my husband again hysterical. He says to call the vet to see if they could get him in sooner. I didn't come back to work because I just couldn't leave my poor dog by himself. I sat on the floor petting him for an hour before my husband got home. Then for another hour before our appointment at the vet. The whole time, his eyes kept rolling in the back of his head and he was looking at me with such sad sad eyes The vet said that he had a stroke and we could do one of two things....either put him to sleep or give him cortisone shots and see if it works. He has less than a 50% chance of bouncing back. We ended up opting for the shots to see if they would help him. (I had to do one last thing for him. I couldn't just say put him to sleep. I owed it to him to try to help him) We had to leave him over night so they could monitor him. I called this morning and they said that they are trying to get him to eat, his head is still tilted, and he isn't walking. Right now I'm torn on what to do. He is a golden retriever and we've had him since he is a puppy. He is 14 years old. I don't want him to suffer, but I don't want to put him to sleep if there is the slightest chance he will improve. I've been balling my eyes out since yesterday at 12:30 pm. I didn't sleep at all last night. I just kept thinking about my poor dog and how alone he must feel.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get it out.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Ah, crap...sorry to hear that, Dag. You know, I was watching Michael Moore's "The Big One" a week or so ago, and there was a bunch of workers that were furious because they had received layoff notices - by videotape from the company CEO. The EXACT same thing happened to myself and my co-workers in the mid-90's...guess that method was all the rage when it came to downsizing.

I hope everything works out for you, but in case it doesn't, I would update your resume and surf some employment sites in your area to see what's out there. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck.

ETA: I'm sorry about your dog, CC. Give yourself a day or so to think about what you want to do, if you feel you need it. I hope he gets better, though.
    Last edited by AJane; 02-02-2005 at 09:38 AM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

to all today that need it.
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

{{hugs}} to Combatcutie. I hope your dog is ok. My prayers are with him.

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. I think this owner will turn things around. For one thing, he will go out and sell our services, in fact he is going to start next week. The old boss was way past retirement age and never sold. She would wait for work to walk in the door..which doesn't always happen. she was just ready to go play and I don't blame her. I haven't heard yet if we can cash in our 401K's. We should be able to, but I am not holding my breath until it happens. It will be a nice cushion to have.

AJane, I am surfing job sites and my resume has been updated for the past few months. Not too easy to find jobs that will pay me what I need, though. Just gotta keep working as I look.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, combatcutie. Maybe he can pull through. One of my childhood dogs had a stroke, and she came through it with some balance issues, but lived happily for about three more years - not as mobile, but with the same gentle, happy personality. Good luck.

Dagwood, I'm sorry to hear your news - you must be going nuts. Hang in there.

Hugs to everyone who needs them.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Combatcutie - I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. My little Bogart (yorkie) used to have awful, awful seizures and it was nearly impossible to watch, and all I could do was hold him. And I only had him for about three years. I can't even comprehend having a pet for 14 years and having him be that sick. My heart goes out to you.

My baby Kenners is sick. When I saw her this weekend, I could tell she wasn't feeling well, and she had a bit of a fever. Lori called today to say she started coughing up blood today - they did a bunch of tests, but won't know anything until tomorrow.

Breaks my heart, the poor little thing. I'm sure she'll be just fine in a few days, but a few days is a long time when you're a gramma with a sick baby.

+ Reply to Thread