+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Canuck - sad times bring up other sad times. That's how we learn compassion. MRD -My heart goes out to your friend and her daughter. What was the father thinking? Of course my ex (then husband) wanted to go out and buy seedlings when I was in labor with our youngest. When I gave him the evil eye, he sat in a chair and read the paper. Men. My troubles involve a recent visit to my oncologist's nurse practitioner. She thought she felt "something" while giving me the exam (I have a lot of scar tissue with two surgery sites 3-4" apart) and while rifling through my folder to see what she should be feeling, she discovered I'm due to have an MRI next month, so said we'd just wait for that. Of course now I think I feel something, so the possibility of more surgery and chemo has me panicked, but I did just have a clean mammo in Dec. so "wait and see" is only for a few weeks. But it is amazing how fast I got back into the mindset of imagining my kids going through the next stages of their lives without me, etc. What a burden going through this house full of STUFF will be for them, etc. Breathe. Relax. Smell the roses. Read a book instead of mowing the lawn. What else can you do?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I have Miss Kitty's cold. I have not had a cold in so long, I truly forgot how miserable they are. I am a horrible patient. I hate to be sick, especially with colds. I can't breathe, my eyes are watering, I'm coughing and hacking and wheezing and the problem with that is that with women over a certain age, coughing and sneezing also bring another problem.
    My head hurts, my chest hurts, my nose hurts, it's stuffy. I can't get comfortable, nothing tastes good.
    OK, was that whiney enough? Hubby had the good sense to bug out for Camden, SC today for a week's worth of work, so I have no one else to whine too.

I would be all for being knocked out for the next 3-4 days while this runs its course. Wake me up when it's over.
    And my daughter acts like I have inconvenienced HER because I am sick. Like I asked for this! I'd be more than happy to give it to her, but she's a worse patient than I am.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3023391;
    . . .I would be all for being knocked out for the next 3-4 days while this runs its course. Wake me up when it's over. . .
    My Polish family's cold cure:
    tea with honey, lemon, and lots of brandy
    (light on the tea, honey, and lemon; heavy on the brandy)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Gutmutter, I hope the NP was wrong. I have used them before, and most NPs are very good, but I also think that many tend to think they know a lot more than they do. I think that the NP should have either A) called in an actual doctor to feel the "something" or B)told you to get an appointment with one, if none was available. Otherwise--don't be pointing it out, if there isn't an obvious, big lump or something.
    I know many don't feel that way about it, but I'd just as soon not have the worry if I'm being seen on a regular basis anyway.
    I sure hope this is nothing bad, keep us posted.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3023451;
    My Polish family's cold cure:
    tea with honey, lemon, and lots of brandy
    (light on the tea, honey, and lemon; heavy on the brandy)
    My pennsyvania dutch grandmother relied on something similar. Honey, lemon and bourbon. I can remember as a kid, wanting to get sick so I could have this! Nothing like getting a little bourbon buzz at 9 years old to make you feel better.

I had a little too much cough syrup earlier and overheard my daughter telling her dad on the phone (he's traveling again this week), that I was acting "weird and bumping into walls". Well, if you can't have cough syrup when you're sick when can you have it? At least it makes things bearable. Kind of like the honey, lemon and bourbon!!!

So now I'm awake as the cough syrup has worn off and when I lay down, my sinuses fill up, I've tried sleeping propped up, but can't sleep that way. The dogs are confused as they think it's morning and want to go out (technically it is, but they don't go out at 2 a.m.), so I just plopped some alka seltzer night time and am hoping that and a bendryl will dry up the sinuses and help me sleep.

I HATE being sick. I hate being sick when my husband isn't home to wait on me!

Gut- Keep us posted and keep up the positive attitude, and please know that the fort family is here for you.
    mrd- I hope you feel better soon.

MRD

Well, I haven't slept through the night since Sun. I hate being sick. Did I already tell you all that? I really hate being sick.

I was feeling better and then around twilight, started feeling yucky again. Why is that? Why do you always feel worse at night??? But better during the day???
    Oh great sages out there, can you answer this mystery for me?
    My fever which was non-existant during the day reappeared at nightfall.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Gut-I will be thinking about you and will be putting a positive spin on my thoughts!

MRD, You feel crappier at night because there is no sunlight to make you feel more positive. I always had hot tea, lemon, and whiskey when I was little. It felt like it worked, but it wasn't until I was a lot older that I learned to appreciate the taste of whiskey!

MRD

Just looked it up and the body's circadian rhythms play a large part in it. Hormones and such are secreted or not secreted as much at night, our body temperature naturally rises in the evening even if we are not sick and gravity has a BIG part in it. Laying down makes it more difficult to breathe, so someone that is already sick with congestion in the sinuses or chest, makes it feel worse because of laying down. Also the ear canals collapse a bit when laying down so ear aches become worse.

Also lung function fluctuates during the day and night and isn't at it's peak at night.

Really interesting.

MRD, your body's lowest natural temperature is always in the early morning. It is not uncommon for it to climb during the day and peak at night. I hope you feel better soon.

+ Reply to Thread