+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1647Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

My trouble is that for some reason, I'm just spending money!

I ran out of a lot of kitchen staples and house cleaning staples, so there went $200. I had to buy some things from Canadian Tire, like car paint, vinyl chair spray, a recycle bag holder, kitty litter, replacement lights, and such and there went close to another $100. I bought a SAD light, which I'm really finding helps me a LOT in the mornings and give me better energy, and that was close to $300 (Wish I had done this years ago when my Dr. suggested it). Then, I needed to buy more tattoo stencils and some other glitter (I didn't have green, pink, black, dark blue or purple yet) and that's close to $200, so that I'll have enough for the summer. I want to deliver some flyers and advertise in June.

Sheesh! Now that spring is here, I also have to arrange for the back fence to be replaced (it's literally falling down), and put new shingles on the roof of my house! I can't believe how fast my money is going these days. And with the boom here, everything is so much more expensive.

And now it's tax time. I need a raise in my disability payments just to keep being behind!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Money does go out faster than it comes in sometimes.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2916296;
    Money does go out faster than it comes in sometimes.
    That seems to be a worldwide problem.

Everytime we think we can pull ahead, I swear something in the house or car goes. It's like the car and appliances have psychic ability and know: "Oh, they think they will have some extra money, so let's break down".

Miss Kitty, I hope you catch up soon. I've gotten my regular spending down to so tight a budget that I squeak when I walk.
    But even so, gas and food is killing us. It's almost impossible to budget the gas as it keeps going up. I'm trying not to drive that much and yet, it still seems like that's one of our most expensive expenses.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I remember in January when our intelligent boss decided that my office mate and I have to drive to his other office 3 days a week. We asked that the gas be written into our checks so we wouldn't be out too much. He of course denied our request. I've been keeping track and will I ever get a windfall next year at tax time!

I think that is so unfair famita. If employers expect you to drive more than you would just to and from work, they should be willing to give you the gas money. I could never understand why they do that.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2917142;
    I think that is so unfair famita. If employers expect you to drive more than you would just to and from work, they should be willing to give you the gas money. I could never understand why they do that.
    My boss lets us expense the mileage used on our personal vehicles at the State rate of $0.505 per mile. That is supposed to cover gas and wear and tear on the vehicle. If it's a long trip out of town, we can expense the gas money instead of the mileage but not both.

Sorry famita - but it seems that he shoudl be a bit more reasonable when it comes to personal vehicles.

I work for a very large corporation so our mileage is always reimbursed. I've found small business tend to be more stingy when it comes to those types of things.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Let me ask a question here since the subject of reimbursement from companies has been brought up.

My husband is now traveling for business. He was to receive $40 per diem. In the past when he's gotten that, they've actually either reimbursed him in his paycheck or given him the per diem up front. He's pretty thrifty and usually is able to eat on less than the per diem and pockets the rest. This job, the boss told him he'd get a $40 per diem, but the boss pays for all the meals on the company credit card, so my husband isn't getting reimbursed or given money up front. He was actually a tad miffed about it as he figured that for the time and trouble he's gone through for traveling, he could use the what he saved on food. But this way, the food is paid for at each meal, so instead of saving, he's having to eat with the boss and crew at EVERY meal which he also hates. He says that since he has to ride, work and room with these people, he'd like the freedom and flexibility to eat when and where he wants, but it isn't happening. He's with these people 24/7 and would like to have some time alone and I can't say that I blame him. And he's not getting to pocket the extra per diem money.
    If you're told you get $40 per diem, is it fair to not use it all and pocket the rest?
    Is it reasonable to ask the boss for the per diem so he can eat where he wants and not necessisarily with the others? (the boss picks the restaurants and hubby is getting really tired of the same 2-3 restaurants all the time)
    What is the best course of action here?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedog,

I don't think a per diem amount without having to submit receipts is the norm other than for college and pro athletes. At least not in this part of the country. Every job I've ever had that included travel and compensation for meals etc. I've either had a company card of my own with the statements going directly to the company or I've had to advance the money myself and request reimbursement from the company after submitting receipts.

I can certainly sympathize with your husband wanting a break from his co-workers. That would drive me crazy. I'm not sure how you delicately raise the issue though. Especially since I believe this is a relatively new job. I think the prudent thing might be for your husband to grin and bear it and maybe even ocassionally beg off a group meal. He can always have a headache. Even if that means he will have to pay for his own meal, it might keep him from going off on the boss.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I've heard of both ways - getting the per diem up front and then keeping what you don't use but also, strict adherance to receipts for everything that you pay up front yourself and turn them in to be reimbursed. I think it depends on his relationship with the boss whether or not he should ask for the money so he can eat where he wants to. I think it's more than just meals, it's money to get necessities with so I don't see anything wrong with eating less expensively and keeping the rest.

I looked it up in wiki and this was what I found
    Per diem is understood to include the additional expenses you have of living away from home - basically having two residences. The IRS sets the maximum amount of per diem each year based on the location - for instance, NYC has a higher rate than Peoria, Il. Per diem is supposed to be paid on a daily basis, seven days a week, while you're at the remote location. It is not supposed to be tied to your salary, number of hours/days worked, etc. - just a flat daily rate. However, many brokers will try to save money by saying it's only for those days you work, or you get the full amount only if you work a full day, etc.
    I looked it up and they are figured per the General Services Administration website - North Carolina - FY 2008 per diem rates
    I hope it's ok to post the link. If not, a mod can remove itl
    Last edited by PGM35; 04-14-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: More info

+ Reply to Thread