+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1981Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2861808;
    Good luck Shaybo to you and your sister.

My family has a history of fibrous cysts in the breast.

I used to do my mammograms with a friend. We scheduled them back to back on the same day and then went out to lunch afterwards. Made the whole thing less stressful and more fun.
    Unfortunately my sister lives in Massachusettes and I live here in Florida

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo II;2862031;
    Unfortunately my sister lives in Massachusettes and I live here in Florida
    Grab a friend that you know is past due for hers and suggest a fun day out with a side trip to the Mammogram center. Then do a fun lunch and some shopping (not bra shopping though. That is NEVER fun. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2861808;
    I used to do my mammograms with a friend. We scheduled them back to back on the same day and then went out to lunch afterwards. Made the whole thing less stressful and more fun.
    What a great idea! Make an outing out of it... I'll have to remember that!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2862379;
    What a great idea! Make an outing out of it... I'll have to remember that!
    Honestly, it was actually a lot of fun. The place we went knew we were together, so they kind of put us together (not for the actual procedure), but we were in adjacent dressing rooms and the waiting area together. We were laughing and talking back and forth and giving each other encouragement. And then we would have a fabulous lunch afterwards.

I actually read this somewhere in a magazine once and suggested it to my friend as I knew we both needed one and had been putting it off. We called and made the appointments and had a really fun day of it despite the 10 min. of getting our boobs mashed.

But I'm telling you it has to be the right kind of friend to do that with. I mean, someone you know fairly well. I wouldn't get my boobs mashed with just anyone.

When is the right age to get your boobs "mashed"? I should probably ask my doctor. But I haven't had a mammogram yet and I'm dreading it. I'm very lax on my well-woman visits and usually only do them once every two or three years because I just don't think you need a yearly exam if you're feeling fine. Plus my gyno lets her assistants do the exam if you haven't been there in awhile and I really like her so I space them out
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I think it's 40 burnbrat unless it runs in your family or your gyno feels something unusual.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

You should start at age 40 and have them yearly unless there is a history in your family or you feel something in your monthly breast self exams. You do do those right????

I highly encourage anyone at 40 or approaching it to have one. Having a "baseline" from the beginning gives the dr. something to compare with if you do have something show up later.

And don't forget those bone density scans either. I think the age they recccomend for that is 45 or 50, but my doctor encouraged me to have one at 40 and then every few years after that. They are VERY important especially for women so you don't get osteoporosis. And the women in my family all had the bent over backs from it as they aged, so I have now had 2 bone density scans and I get a lot of calcium too.

And you should be having a yearly pap smear as well. That is very important from about age 18 on.

And you men out there, get your tests done too. Prevention is much better than finding out something much, much later.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2862830;
    I highly encourage anyone at 40 or approaching it to have one. Having a "baseline" from the beginning gives the dr. something to compare with if you do have something show up later.
    That's really important. I had to get a baseline done this year since I'm 40. The doc said some women are just more fibruous than others and having a baseline helps them figure out what's what with future exams. Not one of the more pleasant exams, but hey, it's a LOT more pleasant than getting cancer...

My doc also recommended that I take a Tums every day--that the calcium from there willl help my bones stay strong. My mother has to take a prescription pill every week for her osteoporesis...

For men, I think they said this is the age to get their prostates checked. Again, not a pleasant experience but hey... If it can help save your life...

I haven't been to the doctor in years but finally went in this past week. I just haven't been feeling real good for a while now, and thought I'd better go, just in case.

So on Friday, the nurse calls and tells me my cholesterol is at 218, and should be at 120. She made another appointment for more tests but doesn't tell me anything else. So now I'm here looking for answers.

I realize this isn't a good thing, but will admit , I seriously know nothing about cholesterol. I have always been fairly healthy and have never paid attention to stuff like this. Of course I instantly googled it, but I'd rather hear from real people about it. I talked to a friend that is a nurse and when I told her the level, she about had a fit. Needless to say, she didn't make me feel to good about it.

So if any one has any stories or advice to share, I would really appreciate it.

Sherri, I have a cholesterol problem as well. As of September, mine was 237 and the thing that stopped my doctor from putting me on cholesterol pills was the fact that I am 24. (It was 220 when I was 22, also). Getting regular exercise is supposed to be good for your HDL cholesterol and I've been working on increasing that (as well as losing weight). Vegetables are also supposed to be good, and so is oatmeal. Obviously things like red meat and pastries aren't good for it. I've also been trying to take the Promise Activ Supershots, which have plant sterols in them, and the next time I get my cholesterol tested, I'll let you know how that's worked out for me.

+ Reply to Thread