+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Sorry to hear of all the illnesses going around. We've been fortunate in the veejer household. Just the usually coughs and colds, nothing serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2807146;
    I guess everyone is sick. I've got a cold too. I started taking Airborne as soon as I felt it coming on, so I haven't felt really bad, but I can't quite kick it all the way out, and so I'm not getting much sleep. But, it inspired me to go buy and try a Neti pot. It's not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be, but neither is it as useful -- the snot just comes right back.
    Lucy, did the Neti pot relieve (at least temporarily) any sinus pressure? I get sinus pressure and headaches and hate to take a decongestant because of other health issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2808398;
    Delsym - a couple of you have mentioned it and I'm not familiar with it. Nothing ever works for coughs so tell me more. Over the counter? I usually go with chocolate syrup (Hershey's) for a cough since scientists proved it was as effective as cough syrup. Seriously.
    So Doc Gutmutter, what is the dosage on this? Do you take it straight?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I do! I tilt my head back and squirt the Hershey's syrup straight in. I suppose you could use an old plastic measuring cup from a medicine bottle if you wanted.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Delsym without a doubt is the best cough syrup there is. I've tried everything else and the Delsym is the best.

Although I'm sure the hersey syrup tastes MUCH better.

I just saw where Delsym has a new flavor out.

When I was a kid, I thought the Luden's cherry flavored drops were like candy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2808922;

When I was a kid, I thought the Luden's cherry flavored drops were like candy.
    I used to get the Luden's fruit flavor pack. They were like candy, so maybe it's not a huge surprise that they never worked particularly well for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2807146;
    I guess everyone is sick. I've got a cold too. I started taking Airborne as soon as I felt it coming on, so I haven't felt really bad, but I can't quite kick it all the way out, and so I'm not getting much sleep. But, it inspired me to go buy and try a Neti pot. It's not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be, but neither is it as useful -- the snot just comes right back.
    Lucy, the Neti pot is really not so much for when you are already sick, it's more preventative. But for cold viruses, I'd think it's ineffective. I use mine every day and it really helps with allergies and sinus irritation, but right now I've got the cold from hell. I'll go back to neti-ing daily when the cold clears up clears up, as pollen season is right around the corner, and that's what I find the pot useful for.

For now-- RIIIII-COOOLAAAAA!!!!!
    And Nyquil.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

When my baby had bronchiolitis before Christmas, the nurses made me fill up a syringe (no needle!) with saline solution, put the baby on the side and shoot the solution up one nostril, then up the other. It definitely cleared his sinuses. I always thougth about doing it on myself, but it doesn't seem too pleasant.

I am entering this thread with a huge can of lysol and a big pot of chicken soup. Take care of yourselves and feel better soon everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2809809;
    I am entering this thread with a huge can of lysol and a big pot of chicken soup. Take care of yourselves and feel better soon everyone!
    And a bottle of Hershey's syrup!!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Gut, I have a bottle of Hershey's lite - will that still do the trick?

I had a terrible cold the beginning of the year and the pharmacist recommended Delsym. That's the first time I'd tried it and it did seem to work for the most part but my cold was pretty bad and I still had bouts of coughing fits even while taking the syrup.

In my state we have to show ID to get anything with psuephedrine (sp?) in it but it does seem to work better than the medications without it. So every once in a while I go through the hassle to get it and keep a box handy.

Had a cold here too last week. Plus I have asthma. Its been like 5 years since I had a bad attack, and the latter part of the week was leading up to one. I felt light headed for 2 days, couldn't sleep Friday night and was up early waiting to call into the Dr. They got me in right away, which was good - by the time he saw me I was in full-on attack. After a nebulizer treatment, a shot in the butt, and lots of fun pills to take - give me a major headache most of Saturday - I'm feeling pretty darn good today.
    Residual dull headache, and still working on Prednezone, and sucking on my Advair as I should have been all along - Oh, yeah, got a good lecture with all the pills.
    so, head seems clear, wheezing is at a minimum - and we are heading to Florida in 4 days.!!!!!

I used to get colds regularly turning into bronchitis and asthma attacks almost annually. It stopped when I started a low carb (low, not no) with lots of veggies 4 years ago. I lost 50 lbs (over a period of 9 months) and by the second month of the plan - I was barely using my inhaler.
    Its only in the last year that things have just gotten to me. My mother passing, elective surgery problems, and some very high stress work projects. I have let my sugar demon loose again (I am a carb addict) - and lost control. I'm back up 40 lbs, and the asthma is as bad as ever.
    I'm hoping this scare will get me back to my healtier lifestyle. I have to get back in control, but it is so hard.

+ Reply to Thread