+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I took the generic brand of DayQuil and NyQuil for at night and I still feel a little drugged up, and I did some cleaning yesterday because I was sick and tired of looking at the house. Hubby has been great and making sure I don't do to much, but most of the time I've been cat napping

Oh yeck - so it really is getting around. I hate day or nyquil. I'll stick with alka seltzer plus.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

20 people at my office have it. They didn't get it from me! I stayed home all week!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I hate any liquid medicine and I have a bad gag reflex, so the trick is to knock it back like a shot. I will take Nyquil (it tastes like gin to me or gin tastes like it. I don't like either one) and peptobismal both that way. And the trick to the alka seltzer is to use as little water as possible.

My standard remedies are Nyquil, Alka Seltzer cold plus, benedryl, pepto or kaopectate, tylenol, Airborne and Delsym if I have a bad cough.

I do NOT take them all at once though. It depends on the symptoms, how bad I feel and the time of day because Nyquil and Benedryl to me is like Sleeping Beauty pricking her finger on the spinning wheel: deep, deep sleep.

Man, this stuff is really getting around. I'm glad I had my flu shot and I'm glad the Airborne seems to be working well for me too. It's knocked out anything before it even got a toehold in me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just try not to go out in public if you don't have to. That's what I'm telling all my friends. I hate pepto...something about the smell makes me throw up before I even get it in my mouth!! lol....I went to the pharmacy this afternoon and got a bottle of cherry Nyquil cold/flu and it will do the trick tonight!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2807920;
    Just try not to go out in public if you don't have to. That's what I'm telling all my friends. I hate pepto...something about the smell makes me throw up before I even get it in my mouth!! lol....I went to the pharmacy this afternoon and got a bottle of cherry Nyquil cold/flu and it will do the trick tonight!
    The pepto and the kaeopectate are too thick and that is the problem I have. The taste ain't great either, but its the thickness of it that gets me. But I'd rather have a few seconds of unpleasantness and feel better than not to take it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I can't handle kaopectate at all. Last time I took it, I sat there for a half hour licking it out of the cup in small bits. Makes me gag otherwise. I swear by pepto bismol chewables-- I can't handle that liquid either, but the chewables aren't bad. Others: Delsym if I have a cough, Aleve or Motrin depending on the affliction, Airborne or Emergen-C, old-school Tylenol allergy/sinus for sinus infections, and old-school Nyquil and Dayquil, my go-to drugs if ever they exist. Also, Dramamine for airplanes-- not for motion sickness, but to get about six hours of sleep without being groggy. All in pill form.

Delsym - a couple of you have mentioned it and I'm not familiar with it. Nothing ever works for coughs so tell me more. Over the counter? I usually go with chocolate syrup (Hershey's) for a cough since scientists proved it was as effective as cough syrup. Seriously.

My big project this week (school vacation) is to clean out a small junk room off of the kitchen. I'm about half done, but when Dan was watching tv last night and daughter was on the computer (in my bedroom) I decided to take a folding canvas camp chair in there to read with a box for an end table. Very nice. The cats were confused.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2808398;
    Delsym - a couple of you have mentioned it and I'm not familiar with it. Nothing ever works for coughs so tell me more. Over the counter? I usually go with chocolate syrup (Hershey's) for a cough since scientists proved it was as effective as cough syrup. Seriously.
    A few years ago, when I had a bad cough and the usual suspects (Robitussin, etc) weren't helping, my doctor recommended Delsym to me. It helped quite a bit, my dad has also used it when he's sick and it works well for him too. It's over the counter. I don't especially like the taste (orangeish flavored suspension liquid), but it does work for me and that's what counts.

Chocolate syrup?? Gosh, I wish I'd known that when I was growing up!

If I'm at school I use a Dove dark chocolate heart, chew it up and let it slowly melt down my throat. That works, too. I'll look for the Delsym, though.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread