+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1967Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

JamieLee: You must remember to take care of yourself; otherwise you won't be able to help your Dad or your brother. Any kind of a day-care service Shaybo mentioned is worth looking into.

My friend's Dad has quickly deteriorated with Alzheimers. She and her family did everything they could including buying a new home so he could live with them and there weren't stairs and such that were difficult for him. But it ended up that he needed hospitalization and will have to go into a care facility.

I can't imagine how difficult it is, but know that you are doing the best you can. You are a very good daughter. And in your Dad's heart, he know that!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I have to go to the hospital today for my IVG. It's been difficult the last couple of times as they have needed to poke me several times. I hope it works better today. Didn't like 4 pokes last time. Also, I was just bending down in the kitchen to pick up a kitty plate and totally pulled my lower back! Owwweeeee! I can hardly stand up and I have to sit in a chair for 4 hours for my IVG. I've taken ibuprofin, tylenol, and used a muscle massager to help. So not happy.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo II;2784838;
    Jami Lee- I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I wish there were some words to make you feel better, so how about a *cyber hug.* It's rough trying to take care of a family member when you remember how they used to be.

Right now I think your brother is going through denial over the situation, and maybe a sense of guilt. He feels like he let him down in some way and maybe that's why he doesn't want a live in care giver to take care of your father, but both you and him need a break. Down here in Florida there's people that you can call and they come in and take care of your family member for the day, so you can go out and run erands or whatever. Maybe there's a service like that in your area.

On another note I used to live in Massachusettes a long time ago. I lived in Centerville and then Osterville.
    Jami Lee---I feel for you and your brother! Best wishes. When my father-in-law was going through this (they live far away from us so we didn't see them often) my mother-in-law was determined to keep him at home (and did until one day when for no reason he just fell over and broke his hip), but she finally realized she had to have some help. She used to go to the Y a couple of hours every morning and since it wasn't safe to leave him she had someone come in for that. Then gradually they were there more time, so that if need be she could take a nap, get things done in the house, run errands, and to help with some of the physical aspects of care--he was quite a bit older than her but she was no spring chicken. He got so he wouldn't really sleep at night so neither could she...really thought she was going to lose her mind by the end, she got so tired. Can't imagine how she would have managed without those occasional breaks. There wasn't a good Altz. daycare place near them, but that would also be an idea for your brother (and you)...if you can sell it to him that those people know more about how to stimulate Altz. patients than he does, that it's good for your dad, at least a couple of times a week.
    The difference in my mother-in-law while she was going through this and a few months after his death was night and day--it really, really takes it out of the caretaker. Luckily she had a number of good years to travel and enjoy herself before she went down the same path herself. We managed to keep her at home through the use of a great set of neighbors and friends, plus Meals on Wheels, plus the gradual addition of caretaker time, but it was a long distance nightmare since my SO is an only child.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2786013;
    I have to go to the hospital today for my IVG. It's been difficult the last couple of times as they have needed to poke me several times. I hope it works better today. Didn't like 4 pokes last time. Also, I was just bending down in the kitchen to pick up a kitty plate and totally pulled my lower back! Owwweeeee! I can hardly stand up and I have to sit in a chair for 4 hours for my IVG. I've taken ibuprofin, tylenol, and used a muscle massager to help. So not happy.
    Sorry to be ignorant, but what is an IVG? It sure doesn't sound like fun.

Feel better, misskitty

ETA: I don't know what an IVG is either, but from the description provided by misskitty, I'd guess "intravenous goosing"
    Last edited by Newfherder; 02-07-2008 at 05:07 PM.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I hope it goes better for you this time misskitty. I hope your back gets better quickly.

Intravenous goosing?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thank you Trixie, Newf and gabriel.
    An IVG is an IV or intravenous of immunogobulin. I don't produce any naturally anymore. So I have to go every six weeks to keep my system up-to-snuff! It went very well. One poke in my right wrist and it was in and they got all the bloodwork too (without the usual bruising)!

It was so difficult to sit/lay/curl in a chair for 4 hours. My back is killing me and I can't overdo the pain meds. So I'm heating up my Magic Bag and that feels good but doesn't really help. I may need to resort to a drinky-poo before I go to bed!

sorry I didn't see this earlier MK - glad it went well and hope your back feels better soon!

To all the others with troubles, sorry for not personally letting you each know that I'm thinking of you, a mass message will have to do.

MRD

Miss Kitty,
    Hope your back is feeling better.

My husband is going out of town this week for work. I really, really, really, hate when he's gone and this is just the beginning. He's going to be gone a lot in the next few months.

I'm really down today and he hasn't even left yet.

I don't sleep well when he's gone and I just feel "lost".

And on top of everything else my fibromyalgia is acting up so I just feel achy and lost.

Ok, yes, I'm having my own pity party today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know a lot of people who are feeling down right now (myself included). I think a lot of it is the time of year. I'm thinking of getting a full-spectrum lightbulb for the room where I read. Does anyone know if that helps with mild Seasonal Affective (?) Disorder (S.A.D.)???
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread