+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2005Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2780227;

I am hoping someone here can give me some advice as to whether it's wise to just hire a general contractor who is a fire restoration expert for the dwelling portion ... and try to do the rest myself ... and should I use one recommended by the insurance company. Or should I use a "Public Adjuster" who would represent me with the insurance company and handle everything ... but would also take a percentage of the claim ( kind of like an attorney ) ... and using one means I would no longer be able to speak directly to my insurance company ... but instead ALL communication would be through the Public Adjuster and all checks would be in my name and the Public Adjusters name.
    l.
    Echo, I'm sorry to hear this, but very happy to know you and your dog are ok.

My sister's house burned down this past summer, and they let the insurance company guide them through the process, and have no complaints with the way they were treated.

Just my opinion but I don't see any reason to get a public adjuster, if you are insured by a reputable company. It seems like an extra step, and a waste of money to me. I know they probably tell people they need to be helped with all this, but the insurance company does realize that this isn't something anyone is prepared for, and that they will have to tell you what steps to take.

My sister and her family got everything taken care of within a few weeks of the fire--what will happen is you will get a check for the house, and a separate one for all your stuff--they just wrote down a list of everything they had and the value of each.

I would think that a contractor recommended by the insurance company would be the best bet also, as they should know one that does this kind of work a lot, and, importantly, is used to working with your insurance company!.
    If you have any other questions, PM and I'll ask my sister if she knows the answer.
    Good luck.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Echo! I am so sorry to hear that your home had a fire! Thank goodness that you were able to get out with your pet! I send you good wishes for a fast and stress-free claim to be able to get back on your feet again in your newly renovated and refurbished home!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    I wouldn't put the heater too close to the snow blower, but it may do the trick!
    I decided not to put a space heater in. There's no space and the snowblower is loaded with a gas mixture. Don't want to start any fires.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Echo,
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that everything will work out for you and I'm glad you and the dog got out safely.
    Thoughts, hugs and prayers as you go though the whole process of trying to rebuild and replace everything.

Miss Kitty, that photo of you reminds me of the Campbell's soup commercials where the snowman comes in the house, eats the soup and turns into a human.
    Stay warm, hug a kitty or 3.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

mrd--I've been so swamped I've been off this set of threads for months...just came back on to read the awful story about the not-good-Samaritan. As with everyone else I cannot think of any PG words to use....that he sees her lying in the grass and does nothing???? And then his actions with his daughter.... You wouldn't believe this is a movie or book. So sorry for your husband as well.

reberr--That was a little depressing about what you said about the educational opportunities in Finland. I suppose it would be way too expensive for you to do, but have you thought about college abroad? Your English seems excellent...that should give you a lot of choices of countries.

well I'm feeling very sorry for myself I guess.

My friends are all out celebrating. I was going to a party up in N.H and my brother who lives with my father asked me to take care of him this weekend.

so, I'm here and not liking it. I can't understand a word he is saying and I know I'll be up all night.

He has severe dementia and delerium.

I think I'm a little nervous because I take care of him days and nights he's really "bad".

I owe this to him though. So, I need to toughen up.

Life really sucks sometimes. He was 100% independent a year and a half ago. He got in an accident. Jaws of life had to get him out of his car and he didn't have a scratch on him. He was put in Beth Israel Hospital for observation and they gave him a staff infection. He was in the hospital for 10 months. Finally, they drugged him up and threw him in a nursing home. We took him home last May.

My brother and I are the primary caretakers. It's so weird taking care of someone who was always so strong and took care of me.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Echo, I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. Like everyone else though, I'm so glad you and your dog made it out safely.

JamiLee, it must be tough, but you sound like a very strong daughter. Taking care of loved ones is always overlooked. It's not easy and it takes love and dedication. You've got those.

Jamilee: You are a wonderful daughter to be taking care of your Dad while he is so very, very sick. It sounds like your brother needed a break this weekend and it is great that you were able to step in and give him that. I'm sure your brother would do the same for you. Taking care of a parent is a very difficult thing to do. I know others who do the same with their folks who have dementia or alzheimers. It's tough most days. Sending you a big hug!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Oh, echo! What a horrible way to start a new year. I'm so glad you and your furry family made it out safely. The items in your home may be "stuff" and can be replaced, but it's never quite the same. I'm so happy, though, that you have such a nice neighbor that will take you in and let you stay there. I wish there were more people like that in the world. I will keep you in my prayers.

echo, try working with your insurance company-a reputable one won't take short cuts. You can always make a change later if you need to.

JamiLee, it's a hard thing to take care of a family member who was always strong for you. Try looking for a help group-I'm sure they might have little tidbits that can help you get through this. When my dad was like that, he "became" Dad2 to me. Thus, I was able to keep my memories separated.

MRD

Jami Lee,
    Sending good thoughts your way. It is so hard when we have to become the parents for our parents. I had to go through that with both my mom and dad and its heartbreaking. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Your dad is very lucky to have you and your brother. So many families just let a nursing home do it and don't even go visit. You are doing a very wonderful thing. A hard thing, but wonderful. My prayers are with you all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread