+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

The cell phone companies make a mint from texting. They're charging for bandwidth that never would've been used anyhow. We left AT&T as our cellular carrier a few years ago. The guy could've cared less and was more than happy to lose us as customers. A few days later, a different customer service rep called asking if we would renew. DUH. We had already switched carriers, so no thank you!

Another time, I was having problems with a Cingular customer service rep and I said if the service didn't get better, I would switch carriers. He didn't care either and asked if I'd like him to get that going now. I was just about to cancel when his manager popped on the line and took over the call. Apparently they really do listen in!

My mother has an auto road service package through Sears and the rates just were so high. I called to see if it was cheaper for just one person, since my father passed away. Well, the customer service rep was "Stan" and he was obviously reading from a script. No, he said. The prices were the same. He kept having me repeat everything 3 or 4 times because he said apparently we had a bad connection. I wanted to say, "'Stan,' of course we have a bad connection. You're in India and I'm in the U.S." I told him AAA was offering the same service for half the price and my mom was going to opt out. All of the sudden, NOW he offered a 45% discount to match AAA's rate. Why can't they just offer that rate to everyone instead of overcharging people?

And I know we've had this discussion before and this is no slam against the fine people of India. It's more of a tirade against greedy American companies trying to make the most profit as possible. It is very difficult to discuss things with someone halfway across the world who has an accent that is incredibly difficult to understand. If I were talking to him in person, it would be much easier--it just is when you can see the person. It's not the customer service reps faults--they're doing their job they were paid to do. Most of them speak fine English, but the accents are just too difficult for me to understand much of the time.

When dealing with my credit card problem (temporarily sorted out; I think that I posted about it ) I found that my first call went overseas (including a very nice lady in Argentina; when I told her how much I enjoyed her accent, she stayed on the line to chat about the weather ), but when my calls were transfered to the next level up, I was back in the USA.

My current problem is minor, but frustrating. I am coming down with a cough. It's no big deal, except that I have tickets to attend the opera this weekend (La Boheme), and I don't want to be the guy who coughs through the whole thing. Last December, I left Un Ballo In Maschera after the first act because I couldn't stop coughing, despite a pocket full of cough drops and being dosed with Dayquil. I'm open to suggestions . . .
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I always get to speak with Angel, an Indian prince. He loves to mangle the English language. I guess it's "hip" to be Indian and not American.

I always swear by hot tea, slice of lemon and a skosch of whiskey. (A skosch is a measurement of your choosing)

I'm with the tea with lemon suggestion. Another thing to put in it that seems to help is honey.

For years now I've had a sensitive tooth. It was drilled over 10 years ago and the dentist hit the nerve. The root is so long it goes into the sinus cavity. During cold season my sinuses get swollen and press on the root which makes the nerve of this tooth extra sensitive. Last night it began to hurt like I had a cavity but I know from rushing to the dentist in the past it's not decay, merely nerve pain. Today, it is extremely painful and I'm about to cry over this. I'm taking advil, swishing with salt water and avoiding food or drinks that hurt.........say a small prayer this will go away soon!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I'm so sorry you're in such pain, buglover. I guess the normal over-the-counter stuff doesn't work for pain that severe? I hope it goes away soon.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2776177;
    For years now I've had a sensitive tooth. It was drilled over 10 years ago and the dentist hit the nerve. The root is so long it goes into the sinus cavity. During cold season my sinuses get swollen and press on the root which makes the nerve of this tooth extra sensitive. Last night it began to hurt like I had a cavity but I know from rushing to the dentist in the past it's not decay, merely nerve pain. Today, it is extremely painful and I'm about to cry over this. I'm taking advil, swishing with salt water and avoiding food or drinks that hurt.........say a small prayer this will go away soon!
    Oh Dear, that sounds so painful. There is nothing worst than a throbbing pain that will not let up. I hope you feel better buglover.

Thanks guys. I came home from work in order to use the new Orajel Sensitive Tooth stuff that is supposed to keep sensitivity at bay for a month. I hope it works because it's expensive and there is only one application in it. My only solution would be to have the tooth pulled or a root canal done which won't be covered by insurance because there is no medical need for it other than the two times a year it flairs up and hurts.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2775821;
    My current problem is minor, but frustrating. I am coming down with a cough. It's no big deal, except that I have tickets to attend the opera this weekend (La Boheme), and I don't want to be the guy who coughs through the whole thing. Last December, I left Un Ballo In Maschera after the first act because I couldn't stop coughing, despite a pocket full of cough drops and being dosed with Dayquil. I'm open to suggestions . . .
    Mucinex is the best thing for coughs in my opinion. It's expensive, but it keeps you from coughing, and when you do cough it's, uh, productive. If you start taking it now, your cough may be gone by this weekend.
    Enjoy La Boheme, that is my favorite opera.

Buglover - I hope your tooth feels better really soon. Toothaches are such a downer, they ruin everything, drinking, eating, talking. You know, the important stuff.

myrosiedog - I hope someone beats the crap out of mr. no good samaritan. Not only was he a total loser creep, now he's trying to drag his daughter down with him. There's a special place in hell for him. :shakes head in disgust:

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2776384;
    Thanks guys. I came home from work in order to use the new Orajel Sensitive Tooth stuff that is supposed to keep sensitivity at bay for a month. I hope it works because it's expensive and there is only one application in it. My only solution would be to have the tooth pulled or a root canal done which won't be covered by insurance because there is no medical need for it other than the two times a year it flairs up and hurts.

buglover
    , I had root canal done on two teeth a long time ago. The one tooth that was hardly damaged is great (it never hurt, but the root canal was preemptive since the tooth had been damaged)...the tooth that was problematic still flairs up occasionally, but it's much better than before the root canal. FYI, everyone talks about how painful root canal is. It wasn't painful at all. Just make sure you have a good orthedontist working on you. Mine wasn't covered by insurance either but honestly, it was money well spent!

+ Reply to Thread