+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1554Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2734577;
    This is just a little thing compared to most of you, but I have a check-up scheduled today with my oncologist's nurse practitioner. I already got the normal results back from my recent mammogram (yea!) so I know I'm ok. The place is more than an hour away and they're predicting freezing rain. I really don't want to go just to get my blood pressure taken and a pat on the back. Maybe I'll call and request a phone consultation instead.
    Oh, I wouldn't want to drive today in that either. Will they do a phone consult? Or maybe change the date?

I go today to get my biopsy results back. And to raise cain because the dr. prescribed a med that the ins. won't pay for and the pharmacy has called and faxed him, I've called his office and so far, nothing. So I intend to say something about this. Ridiculous to wait 2 1/2 weeks for a Rx that he wanted me to start taking 2 1/2 weeks ago but won't help out on it. ARGH! The Pharmacy says he can prescribe something almost the same or fill out the paperwork for the ins. company so they will fill it. But NOOOOOO!

Good luck today Gut. Will send good thoughts and prayers your way.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks MRD. The whole sciatica thing is also a reason I don't want to get in the car for 3 hours. I don't know if she'll do a phone consutation, but it's worth a shot. Like I said, at this point it's just routine stuff. I have started a different daily med since the last visit, but who can tell if the things I'm experiencing (slight weight gain, achiness) are from that or from holiday eating and disruption to exercise from holidays and snow days? Could be either, really. I just checked the local weather on the internet (the tv focuses on Boston) and it's definitely freezing rain until it turns to snow for the ride back. Blech.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

misskitty, stay in bed for me-I don't want to be at work at all. I think I need an attitude adjustment or something.

Gut-that'd be great if they would allow a telephone consutation.

Credit cards would be the bane of my existence. Hopefully the cc company will get it resolved for you asap.

I just got my results back and my friendly cyst has grown. As much as I tried to starve it, it wouldn't listen to me. I go to the dr to find out when it has to be out. I know it's not cancer, so I'm going to try to wait til after my son's wedding in May. I'm hoping the dr goes along with that.

MRD

Well I have been to the doctor. Good and bad news. But not horrible news.

My blood tests for the Gluten thing are elevated, but the biopsy they did showed normal villi in the intestine. So while I "may" have the gluten thing, it has not damaged the villi in the intestine yet. I am to have this wonderful test repeated yearly for a while to see if I am developing the gluten allergy. He did say I could go on a gluten free diet if I wanted. But it wasn't necessary at this point. I felt kind of irritated at that. If it's "developing" wouldn't it be better to get off the wheat/gluten now before it does damage?

I have 3 ulcers instead of 2. One is pretty bad. Got to see the photos. Oh, those are ones you want in the family album.
    The meds he prescribed he took me off of (good since I can't get one filled) and am now just taking previcid. Again, he did not reccomend any kind of diet. Which is weird.

I have malabsorption syndrome which is common in gastric bypass patients and I am to up my vitamin intake as apparantly, I'm not absorbing what I'm taking. Or absorbing as much. He says this can account for some of my other symptoms.

So the verdict from him is: ulcers, developing gluten sensitivity, malabsorption and hypoglycemia. I've known about the hypoglycemia for a while now and am taking care of that with diet.

So I'm going to seek out a nutrionist or dietician and see what they can help me do. I think I would like to get off the gluten, but I also need help with a way to eat that helps the hypoglycemia, the gluten free diet and possibly a way to get more nutrients because of the malabsorption.

Anyway, I can live with the results and I think I can live with a diet change. I've done it already for the surgery and then the hypoglycemia, so why not the wheat/gluten.

I seem to have a wheat/gluten allergy (never proven) that makes my asthma much worse. When I am a good girl and doing low carb (low, not no) and getting all my veggies - I am at my best with the asthma and my moods and my health all around.
    But I have been having trouble getting back to it. and I am going to. I have a support site that helped me out a lot 4 years ago - time to get active back there again.

Interesting indeed. Did you ask him those questions? Is he referring you to a dietician or are you doing that on your own?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2734839;
    I seem to have a wheat/gluten allergy (never proven) that makes my asthma much worse. When I am a good girl and doing low carb (low, not no) and getting all my veggies - I am at my best with the asthma and my moods and my health all around.
    But I have been having trouble getting back to it. and I am going to. I have a support site that helped me out a lot 4 years ago - time to get active back there again.
    Do you mind sharing the site? You can PM it to me. Thanks.

Gut, I'm going on my own. I do NOT like this doctor at all. He's from overseas and VERY hard to understand and has somewhat of an attitude. My PCP reccomended him and she likes him. I don't know why. My husband went with me and it took both of us asking questions and then comparing notes to fully understand what he was talking about. He seemed very ambivalant about the gluten thing, but I have a friend with it and she said her intestines were damaged by the time she found out. But it is a reversible damage with diet, so why not go on the diet now before I cause more problems. The ulcers are bad enough.

So I decided to seek out a nutrionist on my own. My PCP can refer me. I have talked to her about it and she wanted me to see the gastro dr. first. But he acted like he really didn't care, so I will go back to PCP and talk to her about it.
    I do want to be healthier and getting the weight off was very, very important, but now, I need to find a way to eat that is going to help my other problems. Since I eat small amounts due to the surgery and I have to eat every few hours due to the hypoglycemia and I want to avoid the damage gluten may cause, I just think getting a professional to help me come up with an eating plan is smart. But mr. "I went to medical school" just shrugged when I mentioned it.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-27-2007 at 06:04 PM.

My mother's best friend of 50 years lost a grandson on Christmas Eve. He was 10 and had an adrenal tumor that went undetected and the excitement of Christmas led him to pass away in his sleep during the night at Grandma's house. It's very heartbreaking. My mother is distraught and doesn't know how to help her dear friend. The funeral is tomorrow!! I have to scramble tomorrow morning to get some flowers sent on behalf of us kids. The grandma is like an aunt to me and has been a rock for my mother in her times of hardship. They are very religious born-again christians and I'm sure they would appreciate any prayers. I'm reminded of my own kids mortality right now. I don't know what I'd do if I lost any of them. I used to look up to the mother because she always had it so together and was so cool. My heart is breaking for all of them.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

burntbrat: How tragic for such a young boy to die so suddenly and over the holidays! I can't imagine the shock and despair of his family and friends during this emotional and sad time. I'm happy the little boy didn't suffer and the angels took him in his sleep. But I know that is no consolation to those he left behind. I'm sure the family will appreciate the flowers and know that your heart aches for them as well. Sending you a big hug and prayers for the family.

famita, mrd, gabriel: thank you. The nurses had to poke me 3 times and finally got the IV in halfway up my arm. They weren't able to take any blood for tests so I have to go to a lab tomorrow. I went to bed as soon as I got home and am going back after having played with the kitties for a bit. Yep. Staying in bed is good therapy.

schmoo and mrd: I hope you both start feeling better with your gluten regime.
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-27-2007 at 11:39 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

burntbrat, I will also send up prayers for this family. What a sad and heartbreaking thing to happen. I can't imagine how they must feel. Knowing that your family cares so much for them will mean alot.

+ Reply to Thread