+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1624Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2720957;
    Can you take something alternative or OTC to help the healing ? I know I read somewhere that drinking cabbage juice can help heal ulcers. It sounds disgusting but ...
    I did get something else. But the cabbage juice sounds interesting. Not delicious, but interesting.

Well I've had my annual holiday breakdown today, so now the festivities can commence unabated now.

I usually have one day during the holiday season where apparantly it all comes together and I have to go have a good cry and get it over with and today was the day. I got bad news about a friend this morning, I got bad news about the potential paid job at the museum today and I just generally felt achy and tired all day and I came home and just completely lost it.

My parents passed several years ago and it seems that since then, one day during Dec. is reserved for me to miss them and cry about it and so that has now happened. My husband said he was waiting as he knew it woudl happen sooner or later. I'm so lucky to have him as he stands there with kleenex and rubs my back and then its all better.

But the amazing thing is that once I go have my little breakdown and have a grand cry, then I feel fine and everything is right with the world and I can enjoy the rest of the holidays.

At least it happened early this year and not on Christmas Eve like one year.

Sorry to babble on about my annual Christmas cry fest. I probably sound like an idiot for feeling sorry for myself instead of counting blessings. I promise to do that later tonight and for the rest of the season. I have more blessings than sorrows and the FORT friends are one of those blessings. Thanks all
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedog - I know exactly where you are coming from. I do the same thing, and actually this Christmas is better than most because I can do things for people that have done so much for me in the past, but for some reason this year I seem to be down a bit because Mona isn't here, now that looks silly as I read it but it seems that lately Joey has been a bit forlorn, could be the weather but who knows, a year is coming up and he may be missing something.... anyway enough of this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2721111;
    myrosiedog - I know exactly where you are coming from. I do the same thing, and actually this Christmas is better than most because I can do things for people that have done so much for me in the past, but for some reason this year I seem to be down a bit because Mona isn't here, now that looks silly as I read it but it seems that lately Joey has been a bit forlorn, could be the weather but who knows, a year is coming up and he may be missing something.... anyway enough of this.
    I don't think it's silly. I think the holidays brings back a lot of fond memories and those that have gone on before us are part of those memories, so it can be sad at times when you think about them and they aren't here. So sad and happy at the same time if that makes sense. I have a lot of good memories of holidays past, but they also include those that are no longer with us, so I usually can laugh and cry at the same time thinking about that stuff.

Like I've always said, it's ok to have the occasional pity party for yourself, the trick is not to stay at the party long.
    I had mine today and tonight we're watching My cousin Vinny and laughing. So my roller coaster of emotions has hit the high spot of the day tonight.

I really can't believe its been almost a year since Miss Mona went to the rainbow bridge. I hope you and Joey find your Christmas high spot. I can send Waldo, he's sure to make at least you smile. I don't think Joey would be all that happy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

In a word... HIVES! If they keep melding together, I'm going to have to change the word to... Hive! They're on my head, on my feet, and everywhere in between. For whatever reason, the giant one (there used to be about thirty) on my stomach is the worst, in terms of itch. It's like the queen hive, directing it's hideous offspring north, south, east and west.
    Last edited by lopevian; 12-14-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Benedryl

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2721130;
    I don't think it's silly. I think the holidays brings back a lot of fond memories and those that have gone on before us are part of those memories, so it can be sad at times when you think about them and they aren't here. So sad and happy at the same time if that makes sense. I have a lot of good memories of holidays past, but they also include those that are no longer with us, so I usually can laugh and cry at the same time thinking about that stuff.

Like I've always said, it's ok to have the occasional pity party for yourself, the trick is not to stay at the party long.
    I had mine today and tonight we're watching My cousin Vinny and laughing. So my roller coaster of emotions has hit the high spot of the day tonight.

I really can't believe its been almost a year since Miss Mona went to the rainbow bridge. I hope you and Joey find your Christmas high spot. I can send Waldo, he's sure to make at least you smile. I don't think Joey would be all that happy.
    Waldo would be a high spot, but as you post, I don't think the little king of the roost would be thrilled.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

gabriel, I didn't realize Mona's passing was as recent as nearly a year ago. You and Joey must be missing her something fierce. It's been over 3 1/2 years since Claire died, and I still miss my little booshka mooshka. My sweet little Clairesy strudle doodle struzel noodle. I hope Joey continues to bring you comfort, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2721355;
    In a word... HIVES! If they keep melding together, I'm going to have to change the word to... Hive! They're on my head, on my feet, and everywhere in between. For whatever reason, the giant one (there used to be about thirty) on my stomach is the worst, in terms of itch. It's like the queen hive, directing it's hideous offspring north, south, east and west.
    Oh wow. Allergic reaction I presume ?

I had an allergic reaction once to a sulfa antibiotic and got as sick as a dog, burning up with fever and didn't realize it was an allergic reaction and the red welts were hives ... and the SO kept feeding me my medicine hoping it would help ... until I called the doctor and he told me to get there post haste ! By the time I got there, I showed the nurse my "spots" ... I thought they were measles or something ... and she said what spots ? My entire back and abdomen were one big swollen red thing ! I feel for you !

Hope you can take an anti-histamine or something and try some Aloe ( the plant if you have one or a gel) for that incessant itching !

I also am just getting over a reaction to some dressings they put on my recent surgery locations on my back. It was a polyurethane backed, acrylate adhesive they use as a waterproof dressing. I can't reach the inflamed, itchy areas to apply a hydrocortisone cream ... and I don't like using a lot of that on a large area anyway. They are long welts from around the edges of the FIVE large square dressings. I can't reach to scratch which is probably a good thing or I'd be bloodied. I feel like I should be living in the woods like a bear so I could scratch my back on a tree.

They should have allergy support sessions ... You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

Anyway, hope your horrible hives go away soon !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2721730;
    I also am just getting over a reaction to some dressings they put on my recent surgery locations on my back. It was a polyurethane backed, acrylate adhesive they use as a waterproof dressing. I can't reach the inflamed, itchy areas to apply a hydrocortisone cream ... and I don't like using a lot of that on a large area anyway. They are long welts from around the edges of the FIVE large square dressings. I can't reach to scratch which is probably a good thing or I'd be bloodied. I feel like I should be living in the woods like a bear so I could scratch my back on a tree.

They should have allergy support sessions ... You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

Anyway, hope your horrible hives go away soon !
    I had those when I had surgery--it was actuall worse than the 8" incision the bandages were covering, to me. You might try putting antibiotic ointment ( I just cannot come up with the name right now, but that very popular kind for minor wounds) on them instead of hydrocortisone, as those will get infected and nast if you aren't extremely careful. It halps with the itching too, by relieving the dryness.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2721757;
    I had those when I had surgery--it was actually worse than the 8" incision the bandages were covering, to me. You might try putting antibiotic ointment ( I just cannot come up with the name right now, but that very popular kind for minor wounds) on them instead of hydrocortisone, as those will get infected and nast if you aren't extremely careful. It halps with the itching too, by relieving the dryness.
    You are exactly right. The discomfort from the dressing reaction was definitely worse than that from the incisions.

The nurse sent me home with a handful of the dressings in case I had to change them before the follow-up visit to the doctor. So ... I called the manufacturer and reported it. They think it could be a skin sensitivity, but more likely mis-applied by the nurses. I guess you are not supposed to stretch them too much when dressing a wound ... and the nurse at the company suspects they may have done just that. It is a widely tested and used product and supposed to be hypoallergenic. They suggested I do a patch test on my inner arm when the other stuff is all gone and healed ... if I want to ... and if my doctor approves.

In any case, they asked if they could send me a gift box as a thank you for letting them know and for my suffering. I told them yes, and to include a back-scratcher.

I have a tube of something called triple antibiotic ointment and also A & D ointment. Is that what you mean ? I may just try that. Thanks.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2721452;
    gabriel, I didn't realize Mona's passing was as recent as nearly a year ago. You and Joey must be missing her something fierce. It's been over 3 1/2 years since Claire died, and I still miss my little booshka mooshka. My sweet little Clairesy strudle doodle struzel noodle. I hope Joey continues to bring you comfort, and vice versa.
    It will be a year come January 31. Joey always brings me comfort and head bumps, paw taps, staring (for an eternity- honestly I have never seen a cat stare so much) but I wonder if he could be missing "something" or if he is actually missing her, because I can say her name now and he doesn't react anymore.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

+ Reply to Thread