+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 1224 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051525354555657585960611011515511051 ... LastLast
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I have a very close friend who works for the IRS, and has for nearly twenty years. Her job is to hunt people down who are running from the tax debts. (I'm not saying that's what happening here!) She says she's surprised every day at the stunts some people pull to get out of a $50 tax bill. Man, I'd hate to have her job. Yeesh.

I got engaged over the summer and am trying to slowly plan this behemoth ceremony they call a wedding. I was browsing wedding dresses online yesterday, and I have to say, they creep me out a little. I'm not sure I understand why exactly, but when I look at them, they remind me of dead people. Either in the sense of a ghostly bride haunting a gothic mansion or else ancestral photos of the weddings of people who are long gone. How am I going to choose a dress with these images going through my head? The more practical aversions I have are plantation hoops, snaggy fabric, price, trains, veils etc.... Obviously I'm not much of a fan of the traditional wedding and I'll have to find my own style. If I'm going to dress up, I want to still feel like me. A typical wedding dress for me, would be like putting on the pretty version of a Big Bird costume.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by LATAS
    Thanks for the support. I really needed that. I make 8.73 an hour and work 38 hours a week, so I'm trying to figure out..... what decade will it be when it's paid off?

You gotta laugh at yourself because everyone else will
    How the hell did they come up with you owing $26,000? Not to be insensitive here, but I make more than that per hour and I usually end up getting back a few hundred every year.

Crap like that almost makes me want to quit and go to Australia or something. Income tax is unconstitutional!
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Update and thanks for all the posts and information!
    I'm feeling MUCH better now. We went to pick up my stuff from the accountant (after cashing in some Christmas checks and returning a few presents,) and all in all, I owe about $1500, which doesnt include penalties and interest, but we went to the IRS office and talked with them, and after looking their figures over and looking over my accountants figures, they were quick to release the levy all together (Thank God) and I'll start paying in January, alot per paycheck, but I'll get it over and done with. The IRS figured I owe about $400 in penalties etc.
    What happened was a stock sale gone awry... it was my fault, but the bottom line was (unbeknownst to ignorant me,) I took a tremendous hit when I sold the stocks, so instead of owing on the entire sale (like the IRS calculated, having no other information,) or even paying on capital gains (what I was figuring,) I came out pretty damned good.
    It's a funny, funny day when you hear you owe the IRS $1900 and you say "YIPPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"Thanks again for all the support!! This message board is great! Thanks, John!
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

That's awesome LATAS! Congratulations on this working out not too badly.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Well, that's pretty cool, then. $1900 is a whole hell of a lot better than $26,000. Congrats.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

MarlaD - I hear ya on the wedding dress aversion. Remember - this is your day... whatever makes you happy is the right thing to do. Try to find a quiet moment, sit down and close your eyes, and imagine how you'd like to look on this day for your new husband (and your own comfort). Something long and flowy? short and fitted? simple? embellished? You can go to other fine clothing stores and look at white dresses that aren't specifically wedding dresses, or look at patterns and have it sewn for you. I've made several wedding dresses for friends and it is a wonderful thing to be able to do for someone. One was an old fashioned, high-waisted gown with leg-o-mutton sleeves and high collar. Another looked like a pilgrim dress out of white cotton. Another had lots of hand sewn lace on the bodice and sleeves in an artistic free-form design with white chiffon over a slippery synthetic base. I'd stay away from off the shoulder designs. They can be tricky. Good luck, and congratulations!
    Count your blessings!

Hi Guys,
    Tomorrow at 3PM I have to start my prep for Monday's colonoscopy. I'm doing the Visicol prep. For some reason I am obsessing about how long it takes for the pills to start kicking my butt.....pun intended. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for what's ahead. I have googled my fingers raw and can't find an answer. Has anyone done this prep b/f? If so, will you either post your experience or PM me?

Thanks,
    Toothdoc
    Last edited by ToothDoc; 12-26-2004 at 12:16 AM.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Good luck toothdoc. I hope everything goes well. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Yes.. good luck Toothdoc!

Speaking of troubles, I just wanted to ask that everyone at the FORT keep all those lost and the survivors of the Earthquake and Tsunamis that devasted Asia in your thoughts and prayers

+ Reply to Thread