+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1680Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

With Newf around, sushifan, you can guarantee that you'll never be the strangest one on FORT.

1) I understand about your father's perspective. My mother's infamous quote was "you don't have to like your job, you just have to do it and come home." Uh, no, Mom. I have to like what I'm doing for twelve hours per day!

3) In regards to food and your hubby that loves ice cream and fried chicken (yet another reason for hating men ), have you tried frozen yogurt? There are some really good ones out there that are very low fat/no sugar that are just as creamy as ice cream. And I know Weight Watchers always has some pretty creative ways of making chicken that can be very similar to fried chicken. There's one that I have to look for that is skinless chicken made with super crushed cornflakes that has the same wonderful texture as fried chicken. Quite yummy... experiment and I'm sure your hubby will go find something healthy that he likes equally as well.
    Last edited by Broadway; 11-14-2007 at 10:09 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Sushifan I know how you feel. My hubby and I work twelve hours a day in a hospital, but it's getting to the point where we when we get up to go to work we just feel like calling out. I mean the only thing they care about is the bottom line and how many patients they can get in their hospital. We both make just over $11.00 an hour and we want to go back to school and get our R.N.s, but when we asked about help in going back to school they told us that they would give us 1,200 a year to go back to school. Thats barely enough for one semester let alone one class, so after the holidays we're going to look for another job.

sushifan,

I'm going to post an oven fried chicken recipe from Cooking Light in the Recipes thread. It's healthier than the usual fried chicken.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Everybody is talking about food. Whats up with that?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2666899;
    Oh, you'd know, alright! For one thing, you'd spend a lot more time in this thread
    Oh, if you were married to me, you'd be so deliriously happy (or just delirious)
    you couldn't cause trouble. And you'd be well fed. And if you believe that, I've got some great land in South Florida for sale. It's just a tad bit damp is all.

Sushi,

Sounds like you've got a good plan going. I like the catering idea as that will ease the stress a LOT and no shame in getting someone else to do the cooking. I had the whole meal catered by Publix grocery store one year and while it wasn't the hands down beat all Tday meal of all time, it saved my sanity for sure and was pretty darn tasty.
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents. I've been through similar situations and it is not easy. But you and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers and sounds like they are a great example for you.
    Good luck with everything. (and btw, if you haven't noticed, the FORT is a great place for support. Everyone here is just fabulous and very caring and supportive. It's wonderful to know that you can come here anytime and know that people care.)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I kind of don't have to worry about T-day because I'll be working, but I will have to worry about Christmas.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo II;2667640;
    Everybody is talking about food. Whats up with that?
    Maybe because thanksgiving is around the corner or because food is just fun to talk about. It's the one subject that everyone usually agrees on.

Good luck to you and hubby with the job hunt after the holidays. I know several people that work in the health care field and they all say very similar things to what you posted. It's a shame that care suffers for the patients and job satisfaction and quality suffers for the employees.

Speaking of calling out, we had to do pizza tonight. I have been on my feet all day. We had 3 4th and 5th grade classes at the museum come through today and I have alternated between teaching WWI and Civil War history until I don't know if I'm coming or going, talking about mustard gas or hardtack.
    We also had the Unabomber, Jr. in one of the classes. No matter what we were talking about or showing (we have some GREAT visual aids), this kid wanted to know how to blow up a tank, if TNT in a trench would killl everyone, how mustard gas killed you and was it quick or slow and could you blow up barbed wire and how did they plant mines if everyone was shooting and oh, how much TNT would it take to blow something up?. I wanted to ask the teacher if perhaps he needs to talk to someone about his obsession.

My trouble is my back is killing me. The museum floors are concrete and while I wear good shoes, I am constantly running up and down the stairs and standing while teaching the classes. I've decided I do NOT want a 2 story house. No matter what floor of the museum I'm on, what I need is on the other floor.

But on the other hand, I'm really loving this and the kids really are great (except for the bomb fixated child) and I'm getting to use a lot of the crap (I mean stuff) that my family has packratted over the years. I have a lot of photos and postcards of Europe with handwritten notations from my grandfather who was an Army Medic in WWI and I have a 90 year old Armistace day newspaper that my great-grandfather originally saved.

But boy am I BEAT.

MRD, I am so jealous! You are doing something you love and it sounds so interesting. I hope they pay you soon. As for the unibomber, maybe you could talk to the museum about showing the aftermath and maybe survivor stories to let kids like that know how much people hurt afterward. Yah, TNT is cool until your leg gets blown off and your mom is changing your diapers for the rest of your life and oh, that mom and dad lost their only son and they cry every night. That sort of thing.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2669004;
    MRD, I am so jealous! You are doing something you love and it sounds so interesting. I hope they pay you soon. As for the unibomber, maybe you could talk to the museum about showing the aftermath and maybe survivor stories to let kids like that know how much people hurt afterward. Yah, TNT is cool until your leg gets blown off and your mom is changing your diapers for the rest of your life and oh, that mom and dad lost their only son and they cry every night. That sort of thing.
    We do show a lot of photos and some of them aren't pleasant. But we do try to minimize the actual horrors as they are children. But we don't totally gloss over it. One of the things I tell them is that 54,000 Americans lost their lives in WWI and that's about half the population of the city we live in, so I point out that half the people in the room would not be here. And we do talk about how the mustard gas blinded people, left them permanently disabled if not dead.
    And while I try to be pleasant, I finally did say: we have to move on to other subjects, ok and just quit calling on the kid or kids that are being PITA's.
    But as we all know, there is always ONE in EVERY crowd. It's just learning to diffuse (no pun intended ) that one that wants to show off. We had a similar kid in the Civil War class. He wasn't fascinated with the morbid, but he obviously knew a lot about the War and was just showing off. Not that its a bad thing. We love it when the kids show us what they know and at times its fascinating what they do know already. But if you let one kid take over, the entire thing falls apart.

On another note, I have NEVER enjoyed ANYTHING as much as I'm enjoying this and my family has said that they can see that I'm so much happier now that I'm not dwelling on my health issues and have something to do and look forward too. And its pushing me as well. I can see my own defiencies in my knowledge, so I'm really doing a lot of my own research again to be more knowledgeable and strenthen the areas where I am weak.

I don't know, I thought this was a "troubles" thread and I am ending up being extremely uplifted! Thank you for the talk of food (now I'm really hungry) and relationwhips (MRD and Newf-who knew?) and jobs that you either like or are well compensated for(you mean there's hope for me?) Anyway, a big THANK YOU!

And speaking of Thanksgiving, (yes, that was a nice move), to my family, it's a holiday to share food and is meant to enjoy being together. You don't have to have a perfect table....you don't have to have a perfect turkey....you just need to be around your loved ones.

+ Reply to Thread